Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #1

Need Info On Tow Vehicle.

Hello. Newb here with my first post,Hoping someone can answer a quick question for me concerning my tow vehicle..I have a 2007 Ford Explorer V6 with factory tow package and 3:73 ratio..already set up with 4 pin flat connector (boat) and the round 6 or 7 pin connector (my window sticker says Class III or IV capable..We just bought a 2013 12 SC Sport (haven't picked it up yet) that has trailer brakes but I don't have a controller in the vehicle..Does anyone know if my particular truck is already set up for a plug and play controller? I looked under the dash and found a harness plug that has nothing in it..was hoping I wouldn't have to run the wire and relays etc...Any help would be greatly appreciated..Looking forward to being a board member and a new Jayco owner !
SokMunky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #2

From a couple minute web search, it appears to me you do not need to run an additional wire for the trailer brakes. In addition to purchasing the controller (i suggest Tekonsha P2) and plugging it in under the dash, you may have to add a fuse or relay under the hood to complete the circuit. Very simple to do. Its common that vehicles equiped with the tow packages have all the wires included in the harness, but the factory may not have completed the circuit by insalling fuse/relay in the underhood fuse box.

etrailer has lots of videos for isntallation that may be helpful.

I suggest this controller and easy installation cable.
http://www.etrailer.com/bc-2007_Ford_Explorer.htm

I also have this to test the 7 way connection at the back of my truck. It will tell you right away if the 12V constant is active as well as brake controlls, indcator lights and running lights.
http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20117.html
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #3

Thanks clubhouse...I talked with a guy @ etrailer and found just what I was looking for...I also found alot of conflicting info concerning the Explorer's brake plug location..anyway, I appreciate the quick reply...Hoping for some decent weather so I can clean out the old Coleman and get ready for the new Jayco......Take it easy...B.
SokMunky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #4

if your ford is anything like mine either A - it will have the relay and whatnot in a bag somewhere or B- you have to spend about 50 bucks at the dealer for the relay and harness that makes it a plug and play, talk to any shop that installs them they will know what you need and generally if you buy the brake controller from them they will generally install it for you

if yours comes with the tow package it should have come with the stuff you need to hook up the brake controller, just sometimes previous owners dont have a clue what it is and pitch it
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote