Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

New 355MBQS, maybe.

Hi all,

New to the forum, but I have been pulling a 35' Sprinter TT for 11 years now, and a 30' Pioneer TT for many years before that.

We are now looking at the 355MBQS as a trailer to use to finish our 2 kids through highschool, and lead us into retirement. (Hopefully)

I have a 2003 GMC Serria 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combo.
9200GVWR 14,900 towing.

Looking to get the Reese Revolution pin box on the trailer. Pullrite Super Rails kit with the B&W Patriot 16K 5th wheel as it will fit the industry standard Super Rail kit and leave the bed empty when not towing.

My wife had looked at at a 5th wheel that was 43' long and 15,500lbs GVWR with a 2500lb dry pin. I told her this was too heavy/long for our current truck and a new truck isn't in the budget.

Enter the 355MBQS.
13750lb GVWR 2150lb dry pin.

I took a load of old carpet to the dump while we were putting in hardwood, and the truck weight was 7020lbs with the family, and 3/4 tank of fuel.

That leaves 2180lbs for payload to not be over the GVWR of 9200. I have more capacity on the rear axle, but reach GVWR first.

I have the Roadmaster Active Suspension on the truck. I have higher rated 265 series tires than the stock 245s that come on the truck. (3415lbs per tire vs 3042 per for the 245s.) I was told by a GM mechanic that the 3500 SRW for my year only had 265s and one more leaf in the spring pack. That truck carries a GVWR of 9800lbs.

We mostly camp locally (less than 100 miles away) with maybe one longer trip each year.

I realize that loaded with hitch I will likely be a few 100lbs over GVWR, but under both front and rear axle rating.

New truck will come in a few years to be paid off right at retirement.

Sorry for the long post.
Just trying to do my research as best I can.

I guess I am just looking for thoughts from forum members here on this towing setup.

thanks in advance,
Randall
rsday75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #2

With a GVW of 13,750#, pin weight will be closer to 2700#..more realistic..I had an 03' Chevy 2500 D/A in short bed, extended cab, I don't think that I would have towed the heavy with my truck back then...But I tow in the mountains and has some to do with it. I'm one of those who try's very hard not to go over my GVWR, and buy accordingly....I know quite a few use Axle ratings...nothing wrong with that, but
I feel staying at or under trucks GVWR gives me a lot more safety buffer.

Sounds like you've already made your mind up..I'd weigh your truck already to go, then weigh it again when loaded to see exactly where you are without any speculation.

Jim
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote