Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2017, 04:36 AM   #1

New Chevrolet 2500-Advice

I recently sold my tow vehicle and I am looking at new trucks. I found 2-2016 left overs. One is Gas and one is Diesel. The gas is an LTZ loaded up and the diesel is just the LT, cloth seats etc. The both have 0% for 72 months which is great. The price difference if $6K more for the diesel. Both are beautiful trucks

This will be my daily driver and I live in Ct. I pull maybe 6 times a year pretty local, RI, NY, MA. This year we are going to Ohio with it. I have read that the diesel can be pretty expensive to maintain.

My question is being that I don't full time, and pretty much stay local is it worth the extra investment in the diesel and the costs to maintain for what I am going to do with it. I know the diesel would tow better without question however I had an old 8.1 which did great and I believe the new 6.0L would be equivalent. I have a 2016 314BHDS Eagle

Thanks for any advice
rb2boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:52 AM   #2

I have an 07 Silverado 2500HD LT with 4x4, z71 6.0 liter, 6 speed, plow pkg, tow pkg, extended cab that I use as a daily driver and to tow our current 2013 34 ft Puma TT, soon to trade for Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS FW. We have not had any problems towing the trailer anywhere we have traveled, mostly NH. I cannot speak about a diesel, but I know that gas tows more than diesel.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:12 AM   #3

I have a 2016 gasser pulling a 27BHS, and I have no problem accelerating up any hills here in Ohio. Haven't gotten to do a "mountain" yet, but no complaints so far. The diesel I test drove was awesome (20mpg on the highway) but I have coworkers who racked up multi thousand dollar repair bills because they don't drive far enough to do regens. I didn't think dealing with that was worth it. I average 13-14mpg normal mixed driving, and 8mpg while towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2boxer View Post
This will be my daily driver and I live in Ct.
I have a 2011 Chevy diesel and it does tow really nicely, but if you drive short distances you'll be much better off with the gasser. As bearcat mentioned, you can have some real problems if you don't put enough miles on the diesel to allow the EPA mandated equipment to do what it is designed to do. A short daily commute and the new diesel engines aren't a good match.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
I have an 07 Silverado 2500HD LT with 4x4, z71 6.0 liter, 6 speed, plow pkg, tow pkg, extended cab that I use as a daily driver and to tow our current 2013 34 ft Puma TT, soon to trade for Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS FW. We have not had any problems towing the trailer anywhere we have traveled, mostly NH. I cannot speak about a diesel, but I know that gas tows more than diesel.
From the Chevy website.....

The 2500HD model raises performance to a level befitting serious heavy-duty towing and hauling on the worksite, with a max payload of 3,760 pounds, a max towing capacity of 17,900 pounds, and a max GVWR of 10,000 pounds.
Engine Max Towing Capacity Max Payload Max Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
Vortec 6.0L VVT V8 Flex Fuel 14,800 lbs 3,760 lbs 9,900 lbs
Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 17,900 lbs 3,501 lbs 10,000 lbs

The only number the gasser has better is payload. That is due to the extra weight of the diesel engine. There are other variables as well, such as rear ratio.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:34 AM   #6

The regen thing is overplayed IMO. If you only drive a couple miles per day and never get it out and let it complete a regen cycle then I can see it causing problems. Like somebody told me on here when I was trying to decide - take it out on a saturday and run it a little on the highway and let it regen if it wants to. That's exactly what I do. And when pulling our little TT it's a dream ride, on flat ground we typically see 18+ MPG, I've seen as high as 22 on flat ground at 65 MPH on CC and as low as 9.5 pulling over a long 8% grade. We typically average 14.5-15 MPG per camping trip and we pull through predominantly hilly areas.

The OP is in about the same situation that I was in, except we want to go on much farther camping trips in the future. I kept my little Tacoma to drive back and forth to work and usually drive the big truck on Fridays and weekends, and of course whenever we go camping, which is at least once per month all year long.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
The regen thing is overplayed IMO. If you only drive a couple miles per day and never get it out and let it complete a regen cycle then I can see it causing problems. Like somebody told me on here when I was trying to decide - take it out on a saturday and run it a little on the highway and let it regen if it wants to. That's exactly what I do. And when pulling our little TT it's a dream ride, on flat ground we typically see 18+ MPG, I've seen as high as 22 on flat ground at 65 MPH on CC and as low as 9.5 pulling over a long 8% grade. We typically average 14.5-15 MPG per camping trip and we pull through predominantly hilly areas.

The OP is in about the same situation that I was in, except we want to go on much farther camping trips in the future. I kept my little Tacoma to drive back and forth to work and usually drive the big truck on Fridays and weekends, and of course whenever we go camping, which is at least once per month all year long.

I commute apprx 30 mile RT/day on the highway so by what you are saying here, I should be ok on the regen as far as running it?
rb2boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:27 AM   #8

Quote:
I commute apprx 30 mile RT/day on the highway so by what you are saying here, I should be ok on the regen as far as running it?
The owner's manual says you need to maintain a speed of 30 mph or greater to allow the regen cycle to complete. The regen takes 30 minutes or more (I have an engine monitor that lets me see the regen status). Once you start a regen you don't have to let it complete before shutting down the engine, but my experience says you can run into trouble if you start/stop the engine several times before regen completes. If you restart a cold engine when it is in the regen cycle it takes several minutes for the engine and regen system to heat up enough to start burning off the soot buildup, so a series of 15 mile drives may not allow the cycle to complete and may get you into trouble.

I say the above based on personal experience driving short trips (less than 20 miles). I had a number of issues with regen failures (requiring a visit to the dealer$hip) until I bought an Edge CTS to allow me to see when the system was going into a regen and monitor the progress of the cycle. Now if there is a regen in progress I try to keep driving until it completes. I've had no regen failures since.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
You shouldn't have a problem with regen. I have a 2014 3500HD D/A that I only drive once a week ~40mi RT and had never had a problem with regen.

Plus I haven't found any added expense in maintenance cost with the diesel.

Pros on the 2016 2500HD D/A would be increased mpg while towing and the Allison transmission.

I've gotten 20+ mpg solo highway driving @ 65mph.
I'm pulling ~14,500# FW and getting 11 - 12mpg, may be 10-11mpg if driving through the mountains of PA.

IMO the 2500HD D/A has a better engine and transmission for towing, but that's just my opinion. I took the approach that I'm buying a tow vehicle that I'll also use as a daily drive. But the priority was towing capability.

But I don't think you could go wrong with either truck.
Good luck and hope this was of some help.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip..... I know the diesel would tow better without question however I had an old 8.1 which did great and I believe the new 6.0L would be equivalent. I have a 2016 314BHDS Eagle. Thanks for any advice
The new 6.0L gasser w/6 speed transmission is a strong drivetrain for towing, I have one. But, the prior 8.1L/Allison gasser is a towing beast, and the 8.1L has about 20% more ft/lbs of torque then the 6.0L. I would place the towing characteristics of a 8.1L/Allison gasser between the 6.0L gasser and the 6.6L/Allison diesel.

IMO the new 6.0L would meet your needs (daily driver, local towing, etc.), but, if you plan to venture more frequently outside your local region and/or acquire a heavier TT then your present 10,000lb GVWR TT, then I would go with the diesel.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #11

I've got a 2500 with the dmax, and it's my daily driver. For me that entails some grocery getting, errands, and picking up my kiddo from school. When it gets into a regen, it's pretty obvious. When it does that, if I've got the time, I try and get it out on the highway and run a loop I know will allow it to complete. Also, I will add that when I don't do this and the regen is stopped more than twice before regen is complete, the soot levels don't come down as far before the computer is satisfied and as a result the next regen starts sooner. Beyond the obvious signs of a regen, I have a monitor giving me this info. With this monitor I can also force a regen if it's getting close and I'm making a highway run somewhere for the sake of convenience.

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry too much about all of this. The towing is fantastic, and even you don't do what I mentioned above it won't implode. The average MPG's just may be a little lower.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I bought an Edge CTS to allow me to see when the system was going into a regen and monitor the progress of the cycle. Now if there is a regen in progress I try to keep driving until it completes. I've had no regen failures since.
This is what I've done from the beginning. I have turned my truck off a few times during regen and when I get a chance drive it until it completes the cycle, no problems so far with it.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #13

Just stay with gas. Why spend the extra $6,000 if you don't tow all that often and aren't towing up longer steep grades as well. You certainly don't need a diesel for your trailer.
Call the dealer or wherever you get oil changes done and ask what the difference is between having a gasser or diesel oil change done. You'll need to get fuel filters for the DA too. Gassers are just cheaper to maintain. You'll lose some MPG with the gasser though. $6,000 buys a lot of gas.
Me personally I'd take the loaded gasser over a bare bones diesel in your situation.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Just stay with gas. Why spend the extra $6,000 if you don't tow all that often and aren't towing up longer steep grades as well. You certainly don't need a diesel for your trailer.
Call the dealer or wherever you get oil changes done and ask what the difference is between having a gasser or diesel oil change done. You'll need to get fuel filters for the DA too. Gassers are just cheaper to maintain. You'll lose some MPG with the gasser though. $6,000 buys a lot of gas.
Me personally I'd take the loaded gasser over a bare bones diesel in your situation.
As much as I will probably never buy another gas truck after having diesel, I agree with this comment. YOUR situation NOW, does not really warrant the added upfront cost, and normal maintenance costs of a diesel, about 3-4 times the amount of oil for each oil change, and the constant fuel filter changes. Plus the gasser is fully loaded, and will get the towing done (yes diesel is far better). Like others have said, local trips, go for the gas, if you do plan on going further, might wanna consider the diesel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #15

I'm kind of in the same boat. My Ram 1500 isn't quite up to pulling my 27BHS. I've seen anywhere from 25-50 L/100kms when towing. How often, on average, does the truck go through a regen? I'm only 5 miles from work, but we like our long camping trips.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisbitch View Post
I'm kind of in the same boat. My Ram 1500 isn't quite up to pulling my 27BHS. I've seen anywhere from 25-50 L/100kms when towing. How often, on average, does the truck go through a regen? I'm only 5 miles from work, but we like our long camping trips.
Depends on how it's driven, I've seen ranges between 400-700 miles.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #17

Quote:
How often, on average, does the truck go through a regen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
Depends on how it's driven, I've seen ranges between 400-700 miles.
01trundra is correct, the frequency of regeneration cycles depends on how quickly soot builds up in the diesel particulate filter. The hotter the engine runs the slower the buildup and the longer between regen cycles. I've not seen quite the results 01tundra has - I've had it regen after 200 miles and on occasion made it to 600 miles. On average, I see a regen once per tankful of fuel.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #18

Makes sense. If it's getting close to regen and you take it for a long run on the highway, does it clean the filter out? Therefore, if you only run highways, you should never have the regen happen?

Old 05-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Makes sense. If it's getting close to regen and you take it for a long run on the highway, does it clean the filter out? Therefore, if you only run highways, you should never have the regen happen?
No, highway driving/heavy loads/hot temps only slow the buildup of soot, it doesn't stop it or burn it off. The system has to regenerate (inject fuel directly into the particulate filter area) to reach temps high enough to burn off the soot. My monitor says the egt during a regen is between 950 and 1200 degrees F. That's roughly double what it normally runs.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #20

It's making sense now. You just burn extra diesel to get the temps high enough to burn the soot off.