Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2017, 11:15 PM   #1

Unhappy New guy

Hey All,

So I am very new to this. I just today purchased a 28BHBE and I am wanting to tow it with a 08 GMC Yukon SLT2. I will be also purchasing the brake booster, weight distribution kit, and sway kit. Do you think that I should be fine pulling this trailer, or will it be a crappy ride?

Thanks in advance,

justin
JLWright325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Justin,

Welcome to JOF

IMO your Yukon most likely won't be an ideal tow vehicle for the 2017 28BHBE. The 28BHBE (9,250b GVWR) is a heavy/long TT and under modest family loading conditions can be in the 7,700lb to 8,200lb range without fluids.

I assume that your Yukon SUV is a 1/2 ton and thus may lack the payload capacity to support the loaded tongue weight of the 28BHBE, especially after you have the Yukon loaded with cargo and/or passengers. Yes, a TT's tongue weight gets subtracted from a TV's (available) payload capacity.

You may want to take your Yukon to a CAT scale loaded with fuel and passengers and weigh it, subtract the CAT scale results from your Yukon's specified GVWR....., the remaining weight is what's available for TT tongue weight and a 50lb WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch). The CAT scale will eliminate the guess work.

For example: The desired loaded tongue weight range for a 28BHBE would be 13% to 15% of it's gross loaded weight...., so loaded at a hypothetical 8,000lbs = 1,040lbs to 1,200lbs desired loaded tongue weight.

Also, the published (web site, brochure, etc.) UVW of a 2017 28BHBE is 6,510lbs, but the actual "shipped" UVW may be closer to 7,000lbs. There will be a yellow sticker on the TT reflecting the actual "shipped" from factory UVW.

Please note: A WDH really doesn't remove tongue weight, it's main function is to remove/distribute weight from the TV's rear axle and transfer a specific amount of weight back to the TV's front suspension which was initially removed do to the effect of the loaded tongue weight being place on the hitch ball. Yes, the WDH will transfer a small amount of weight back to the TT's axles.

I'm sure other JOF members will chime in with their thoughts as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:45 PM   #3

Assume you have the 3.42 axle ratio?

http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing/towing-charts.html

Unloaded you're probably OK. Loaded you're over weight. Wouldn't be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Justin,

Welcome to JOF

Without going into great detail, IMO your Yukon most likely may not be an ideal tow vehicle for the 28BHBE. The 28BHBE (9,250b GVWR) is a heavy/long TT and under modest family loading conditions can be in the 7,700lb to 8,200lb range without fluids.

I assume that your Yukon is a 1/2 ton SUV and may lack the payload capacity to support the loaded tongue weight of the 28BHBE after you have the Yukon loaded with cargo and/or passengers. Yes, a TT's tongue weight gets subtracted from a TV's (available) payload capacity.

For example: The desirable loaded 28BHBE tongue weight range would be 13% to 15% of it's gross loaded weight...., so loaded at a hypothetical 8,000lbs = 1,040lbs to 1,200lbs desired loaded tongue weight.

Also, the published (web site, brochure, etc.) UVW of a 2017 28BHBE is 6,510lbs, but the actual "shipped" UVW may be closer to 7,000lbs. There will be a yellow sticker on the TT reflection the actual "shipped" from factory UVW.

Bob
So then I really only have about 500lbs of wiggle room? Why do the "brochure" UVW and the "actual" UVW differ?

The reason for all the questions is I am planning a trip from FL to MD and I want to make sure that I am not going to harm my Yukon.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:22 AM   #5

Uh Oh

So I am pretty overly concerned about this. I may have to figure out some way that I will be able to get out of this purchase. I am not looking to destroy my vehicle.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:28 AM   #6

I think you need to re-think this TV/TT combination. Both are very nice individually but not together.

I had a 26BH and a '04 Tahoe 5.2 3:73, which was in spec barely and was not comfortable with it.

I'm sorry you didn't ask this question, or do more reading, in advance of the purchase.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Justin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWright325 View Post
So then I really only have about 500lbs of wiggle room? Why do the "brochure" UVW and the "actual" UVW differ?......snip
Until you confirm the amount of available payload of your Yukon, I think for the moment any "wiggle room" is moot. Many RV manufactures "published" UVW weights don't represent options, filled LP tank weights, and other factory installed items. Can be a deal breaker for some folks if the dealership doesn't bring this issue up.

Quote:
reason for all the questions is I am planning a trip from FL to MD and I want to make sure that I am not going to harm my Yukon.
All good questions. We all have different loading habits and towing expectations, but based on the info you provided I'm of the opinion that your Yukon SUV isn't a good match for the 28BHBE under loaded conditions.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-22-2017, 12:38 AM   #8

Unhappy

Quote:
Justin,

Until you confirm the amount of available payload of your Yukon, I think for the moment any "wiggle room" is moot. Many RV manufactures "published" UVW weights don't represent options, filled LP tank weights, and other factory installed items. Can be a deal breaker for some folks if the dealership doesn't bring this issue up.

All good questions. We all have different loading habits and towing expectations, but based on the info you provided I'm of the opinion that your Yukon SUV isn't a good match for the 28BHBE under loaded conditions.

Bob
So I have been diligently looking up different information. Looking at the same exact unit with the Thermal package, Elite Package, Roof ladder and everything else that I got on here. I am see on RV Trader, that the unit is still only weighing in at 6540. If that is the case and this is also what is being read on the yellow sticker on the door of the unit, then I should be fine. Correct? Because then we are looking at about 1000lbs of wiggle room, and I think that will be a good amount of wiggle.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzeller View Post
Assume you have the 3.42 axle ratio?

Towing Capacity Chart | Vehicle Towing Capacity | GMC

Unloaded you're probably OK. Loaded you're over weight. Wouldn't be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A manufacture's specified (published) "Tow Rating" sometimes can be a little misleading...., the actual build configuration of a given vehicle can result in an actual lower "Tow Rating" weight.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ting-3866.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-22-2017, 01:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip..... I am see on RV Trader, that the unit is still only weighing in at 6540. If that is the case and this is also what is being read on the yellow sticker on the door of the unit, then I should be fine. Correct?.......snip
Be careful, many RV dealer advertisements on specific units don't reflect "as shipped" weights (yellow sticker), they just duplicate the manufacture standard published information.

For example, the following 2017 28BHBE has a RV dealership advertised UVW of 6,805 lbs.:

New 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE Travel Trailer at General RV | Mt Clemens, MI | #140358

Here is another that states an advertised UVW of 7,100lbs w/Options:

2017 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE Travel Trailer Lacombe, LA Steves RV | Lacombe | Louisiana RV Dealer

Here's a 28BHBE advertisement with a pic of the Yellow Sticker.., it's a little difficult to see but states a shipped UVW of 3,111 kg or 6,858 Lbs

http://www.fourwindsrv.com/show-inve...es.php?id=qaSt

In RV advertisements I look to see if the RV dealership also shows a pic of the Yellow Sticker with the other unit pics, some will.

IMO the 28BHBE will have a "shipped UVW" close to 7,000lbs.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-22-2017, 01:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Be careful, many RV dealer advertisements on specific units don't reflect "as shipped" weights (yellow sticker), they just duplicate the manufacture standard published information.

For example, the following 2017 28BHBE has a RV dealership advertised UVW of 6,805 lbs.:

New 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE Travel Trailer at General RV | Mt Clemens, MI | #140358

Here is another that states an advertised UVW of 7,100lbs w/Options:

2017 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE Travel Trailer Lacombe, LA Steves RV | Lacombe | Louisiana RV Dealer

Here's a 28BHBE advertisement with a pic of the Yellow Sticker.., it's a little difficult to see but states a shipped UVW of 3,111 kg or 6,858 Lbs

2017 JAYCO 28BHBE JAY FLIGHT TRAVEL TRAILER

In RV advertisements I look to see if the RV dealership also shows a pic of the Yellow Sticker with the other unit pics, some will.

IMO the 28BHBE will have a "shipped UVW" close to 7,000lbs.

Bob
Well, for what it is worth. I have purchased the one that is IDENTICAL to the last one that you have shown. So I have allowed for a 700lbs swing.

Also, I wanted to know if you know of anything that I could possibly add to my vehicle to make it more optimal.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #12

What are the specs of the Yukon? What are the weights of it...CCC, GCW etc? What engine, transmission, what rear axle rating, 2WD or 4x4 etc?

Our 2017 28BHBE has a yellow sticker of a little over 6500# as shipped, With full fresh water and all our gear we scale right at 8500#. It is just my wife and I but we carry a lot of stuff...lots of heavy cast iron, grandbaby gear, drinks, full pantry of food, full fridge, lots of games, 2nd battery etc.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
What are the specs of the Yukon? What are the weights of it...CCC, GCW etc? What engine, transmission, what rear axle rating, 2WD or 4x4 etc?

Our 2017 28BHBE has a yellow sticker of a little over 6500# as shipped, With full fresh water and all our gear we scale right at 8500#. It is just my wife and I but we carry a lot of stuff...lots of heavy cast iron, grandbaby gear, drinks, full pantry of food, full fridge, lots of games, 2nd battery etc.
While what you state is true, the OP may gain some weight back by travelling without full tanks of water. Looking at the specs, I see this TT has 2 - 38 gallon FW tanks? If so, he could gain approx. 650 lbs. (76 x 8.5 = 646). IMO, all things considered, I would re-think his purchase, especially if he is concerned about his TV. While a good WDH and anti-sway helps, there are other things to look at. For instance, does it have a tow package, i.e. extra transmission cooler, over-size radiator etc.

I tow my 2017 Coachmen that has a UVW of 5800 lbs. But my 2014 Ford Expedition is equipped with a factory installed tow package and is rated at 9200 lbs capacity.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #14

New guy

I was in the same boat as you. Bought a 27BHS, assuming I would pull it with a 2015 Suburban, because the towing capacity was within limits. But then, once I learned to look at payload capacity instead of towing capability, I realized I was going to be right at the limit even with extremely light packing. Look at the yellow sticker on your Yukon. Subtract passengers, pets, tools, family equipment, etc....then subtract 13% of your estimated trailer weight, and if you are like me, suddenly you are over the limit on payload, rear axle, gvwr, etc. That was not something I wanted to stress about every time I pulled out of the driveway with my family on board. Needless to say, I now drive a 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote