Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2015, 08:57 AM   #1

New RV'er - 338RETS!?! Am I nuts?!?

I have towed a number of flat, storage, and toy hauler trailers over the years with my half ton Silverado and Tahoe however none were longer than approx. 20 ft.

We are now retired and are really geeked about starting a more "mobile" lifestyle. It will be part time at first but we also plan on mostly extended stays either up north or in the south during winter and don't want the walls to start closing in.

Considering price, amenities, that I usually lease, etc. we have decided that a TT will be our best "bang for the buck" option and of course, she has determined that the one that will "work" for her is the Jayco 338RETS which is a monster to me at almost 40 ft. A large wardrobe, shower, and living area are most important over the number it can sleep because it will be just us 2 and the dog almost all of the time.

I know I will have to upgrade to at least a 2500hd. But I am also not sure about a diesel over a gas engine because our usage of the trailer will at least in the short term, be sitting on property up north for the summer and us driving up for a number of extended weekend stays, and then most likely towed to Florida or Arizona during the winter. There may be a few other occasional trips elsewhere, but the truck would mostly be used as a daily driver the vast majority of the time which to me says a gas, single rear tire version is the best option.

But with all that said, the main concern for me (not her) is pulling/maneuvering a 39+ ft trailer, especially after viewing the 338RETS thread which had pictures of one being opened like a can of sardines!

So, given that I want to limit my new truck to a 2500hd gas version, and have never pulled anything quite that long, would you recommend it anyway or should I try to talk her down off of that large of a trailer? And if so, any suggestions/ideas that might help sway her to downsize? Once she sets her mind on something.............

TIA,

Jay
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Once she sets her mind on something............ Turn over the wheel and you relax in the passenger seat.
I suggest rent one for a week(end) then you get the feel of a forty footer.
My longest TT unit has been 36 ft. but in real time it makes no different if you pull a 20 or 40 ft. unit. Be sure you have good rear mirror few. Stay within all the specifications and be sure your TV is heavy and powerful enough. It takes a bit practice to back up a 40 ft. TT but you'll get the hang of it.
I have driven commercial truck combinations all over Europe and believe me roads of the main highway are a lot smaller over there. Driving in North America is a lot easier with all that space.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
Site Team

You have a couple of tough decisions to ponder. Only tow what you are comfortable with. Being a longer unit makes backing it in easier, as the trailer reacts slower to the truck, as long as you have the room to maneuver it. We've found some CG's that can't accomodate long units. That's where pull-thru's are great. On the other hand, your trailer has to be the one that suits your needs as far as layout, amenities, etc. Look on the road at the tractor trailers. Those are mostly 53' trailers not counting the tractor. Most drivers can thread them like a needle into a space. With practice, you'll get used to what you have to do to back up a longer unit. The gas/diesel question is personal preference versus fuel price, versus maintenence costs. Just my .02 cents worth.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:02 AM   #4

I have the jay flight version. A little shorter and a little lighter. I went from a half ton to a 3/4 ton with a diesel. A 3/4 ton will be enough. As far as the the pickup gas vs diesel both with pull the trailer just fine. The diesel will pull it easier and faster. But both with handle the trailer the same. I added timbrens because the trailer were so heavy it helped with the ride but not required.

Jayflight 2014 RLDS
2012 Ford F250 6.7 4x4
Idahoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
I have towed a number of flat, storage, and toy hauler trailers over the years with my half ton Silverado and Tahoe however none were longer than approx. 20 ft.

We are now retired and are really geeked about starting a more "mobile" lifestyle. It will be part time at first but we also plan on mostly extended stays either up north or in the south during winter and don't want the walls to start closing in.

Considering price, amenities, that I usually lease, etc. we have decided that a TT will be our best "bang for the buck" option and of course, she has determined that the one that will "work" for her is the Jayco 338RETS which is a monster to me at almost 40 ft. A large wardrobe, shower, and living area are most important over the number it can sleep because it will be just us 2 and the dog almost all of the time.

I know I will have to upgrade to at least a 2500hd. But I am also not sure about a diesel over a gas engine because our usage of the trailer will at least in the short term, be sitting on property up north for the summer and us driving up for a number of extended weekend stays, and then most likely towed to Florida or Arizona during the winter. There may be a few other occasional trips elsewhere, but the truck would mostly be used as a daily driver the vast majority of the time which to me says a gas, single rear tire version is the best option.

But with all that said, the main concern for me (not her) is pulling/maneuvering a 39+ ft trailer, especially after viewing the 338RETS thread which had pictures of one being opened like a can of sardines!

So, given that I want to limit my new truck to a 2500hd gas version, and have never pulled anything quite that long, would you recommend it anyway or should I try to talk her down off of that large of a trailer? And if so, any suggestions/ideas that might help sway her to downsize? Once she sets her mind on something.............:facepalm :

TIA,

Jay
There are members here who are pulling that Trailer or the 33RLDS Jayco which is the same floor plan. There is at least one that I can remember off hand who is towing with a 2500 Avalanche Gas truck. I have the Jayco version and it is at a seasonal site for the next 3 years then I intend to start pulling it south in the winters.

Welcome to the forum! Let us know what you decide and enjoy!

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Once she sets her mind on something............ Turn over the wheel and you relax in the passenger seat.
Oh yeah, sure like THAT is going to happen! I can't even get her to drive my half ton without a trailer! In the million to one chance I did get her to even try, there would be NO relaxing!
Old 05-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post
Let us know what you decide and enjoy!
The "decision" has already been made as far as SHE is concerned!
Old 05-31-2015, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
I suggest rent one for a week(end) then you get the feel of a forty footer.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had actually thought about that but not sure I need one for a week to find out if I am going to be able to handle it or not. I don't need to actually "camp" in it and we have a local campground I could practice in since I grew up with the owners. I would think a day or two of lugging it around the area and practicing backing up and maneuvering in that campground or better yet, a VERY large parking lot with a few traffic cones marking "the spot" should tell me all I need to know.

I found someone that is renting their 35 ft for 125/day or 800/wk. Maybe I can discuss this with the dealership as well and get it a little cheaper but don't know if they rent or not.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #9

I use the truck in my signature as a daily driver and no problems at all. I do like having the power of the diesel when towing our TT, which I think is similar in length and weight to what your DW wants.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:51 PM   #10

The 338RLTS is very easy to tow, its heavy and is more stable in wind and traffic than any other I have pulled. If you go diesel you will thank yourself over and over again.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
The 338RLTS is very easy to tow, its heavy and is more stable in wind and traffic than any other I have pulled. If you go diesel you will thank yourself over and over again.
Mike,

Trust me, I have been back and forth on this more times than I want to admit and I haven't completely given up on it yet. But the reality is that I also have to answer to the "accountant" in regards to justifying the rather large difference in costs, both initially and daily ongoing higher costs as well. My "Tim Taylor" side says "more power", but then she sees that look in my eyes and, well I really hate what comes next!

I already tried the "Hey, you picked out the biggest frickin trailer you could find so I should be able to get a large, powerful truck to pull it". Didn't work. She asked me "What's the difference" knowing that she doesn't have a clue about what "torque" means and then her eyes just glazed over and I think I actually saw dollar signs reflecting back at me!!!

Maybe if I survive after a couple of years of "white knuckles" and a couple hundred choruses of "are we there yet" as well as her asking me why I am such a " nervous wreck", I will be able to quietly and calmly say........If we had gotten the diesel.........
Old 05-31-2015, 07:38 PM   #12

Our 5th weighs 12700# with 3020 on the pin. I chose a diesel F350 diesel for our TV. I can't imagine pulling with a gasser but I read many will do it without problems. What weights are you expecting? I would start with the published weight and add 1000-1200#. 15% of that would estimate the hitch weight. Look for the Rear GAWR on the TV you are thinking about. Ask the JOF for real world axle weights of similar TV's (drive train, bed length, engine and trim level will affect the weight).
I spent quite a bit of time deciding between 250/350 and gas/diesel not wanting to show up at a gunfight carrying a knife.
Our 5th is abt 39' and pulls surprisingly smooth. Backing can be a challenge but so far I've managed.
Good luck with your choice, keep the questions coming.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Our 5th weighs 12700# with 3020 on the pin. I chose a diesel F350 diesel for our TV. I can't imagine pulling with a gasser but I read many will do it without problems. What weights are you expecting? I would start with the published weight and add 1000-1200#. 15% of that would estimate the hitch weight. Look for the Rear GAWR on the TV you are thinking about. Ask the JOF for real world axle weights of similar TV's (drive train, bed length, engine and trim level will affect the weight).
I spent quite a bit of time deciding between 250/350 and gas/diesel not wanting to show up at a gunfight carrying a knife.
Our 5th is abt 39' and pulls surprisingly smooth. Backing can be a challenge but so far I've managed.
Good luck with your choice, keep the questions coming.
Here is what I am looking at in regards to the 338RETS TT and the truck I am looking at. The trailer specs show a dry weight of 8710. Adding 1200 to that gives me 9910. The 2500HD LT crew cab short box gasser I am looking at has a max trailering weight of 13000 and a GCWR of 20500 and the GAWR in the rear is 6200. As for hitch weight, 15 percent of 9910 is 1486 and the max hitch weight on the Chevy 2500HD LT gasser I am looking at is 1950. The hitch weight limit and max trailering weight are WITH a distribution hitch, which will be used in this instance.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:47 PM   #14

Blu, looks like you are on it like a duck on a junebug.

Any JOF members with a similar TV out there? Got weights for front/rear?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #15

Our 338RETS weighs 9799# empty according to the sticker on the side of the trailer. I'm probably around 10500# loaded for travel. I have not had it weighed. I did weigh the tongue and it is at 1650# loaded. I do have air bags. My previous trailer was 35 feet long so this wasn't a big jump for me. You just have to take wider turns. The trailer tows exceptionally well. The wife and I are also retired and we love the layout. I myself can't imagine towing it with a gasser.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #16

What a great post Blu! We started looking at 25' trailers, ended up towing home a new 338RETS, the biggest dang bumper tow on the lot!!

I tow mine with a 2500 dodge diesel, and it tows really nice, freeway and mtn roads here in Idaho. The tranny and exhaust brake on the new dodge are amazing. I did go with the Blue Ox Swaypro 15k, which I highly recommend. I do swing wide on tight corners in town for sure!!!

We have the 338RETS parked on property for the summer, so getting in and out of campgrounds not an issue. If we were towing to different locations, proly would have bought smaller coach due to some restrictions we heard about at some cg's.

FYI, our dry weight was around 9800# too, loaded 12'ish. (don't have the specs handy)
Old 06-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #17

I know this is not true of all trucks but if you are considering a 3/4 ton diesel check the payload on the door jamb sticker before buying. The added weight of the diesel reduces the payload a lot.
I would get a 1 ton if I was ever considering a diesel. In fact I would get a 1 ton even if looking at a gasser again. I would much rather have the added capability for what is essentially an identical truck anyway. Slightly stiffer ride is the only drawback I would guess.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post

So, given that I want to limit my new truck to a 2500hd gas version, and have never pulled anything quite that long, would you recommend it anyway or should I try to talk her down off of that large of a trailer? And if so, any suggestions/ideas that might help sway her to downsize? Once she sets her mind on something.............

TIA,

Jay

Welcome to the club!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #19

An F250 will do the job with either engine. The driver has a lot to do with it. You'll get used to the wide turns, longer stopping distances, etc., sooner than you'd get used to living on top of one another in a smaller rig. We spent several winter months in our TT and it did tend to shrink with time. As for the engine, if your kids' inheritance is paying for it, go for the diesel if you're so inclined. It's kind of like a Harley, nothing else will do for some. And while I have had several diesels, I'd be the first to say I'd prefer a gasser if I was driving it in town every day. My diesels mostly sit when not working.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #20

We have had our 338rets for just a month now and have taken it out twice, one trip with a couple of very steep grades. We pull it with our 2013 Ford F250 diesel with the heavyduty tow package coupled with an Equal-i-zer 14,000# WDH. It is an easy haul with no issues at all.
Dondeb is offline   Reply With Quote