Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #1

New tires

I am getting ready to replace my st185/85r13's on my 07 254 exp. Right now I have Goodyear marathons. The tire dealer here has ordered me Carlisle Sport Trails. Does anyone have experience with this brand. I have looked them up and read bad things. I understand that some blowouts are caused by "operator error" but I just want my family to be safe. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help.
roccoecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #2

Yeah, I just replaced my 5er tires last month after a chinese made brand tire blew out. The china brand was "HI-RUN"...I did some serious research because there are some very bad ST tires out there as I quickly learned. If you can find MAXXIS, they are a good quality brand even though produced in Thailand; they still are produced under American patents and QC standards. I put MAXXIS on my 5er and went to a higher load range (E). The other advice I got from the tire dealer who services many RVers, boaters and general trailers, was to always keep the tires at full pressure as is indicated on the sidewall. I had been under the false impression that a reduced pressure (-5 psi) would allow for expansion but the dealer (verified by my research) said that was incorrect...keep them at full cold pressure and they will run cooler and experience less overall expansion/over-pressure. My new Maxxis 185/75/R15 load E tire are at 80 psi per this advice and no issues so far.
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #3

Since we're voicing opinions...

Last Fall I bought a mounted set of Trail America tires for my boat trailer. After about 4000 miles, maybe a hair more, they are shot. The side wall shows significant cracks on one and the one has delamination. I run all my trailer tires at max sidewall pressure. I got them from a friend that bought them, never used them and stowed them in his garage. They aren't very old and looked new. Fortunately I didn't pay much more for them than the brand new rims they were mounted on.

I literally just got back from my independent mechanic about replacing the tires. I mentioned Carlisle. He said one of his customers has a fleet of trailers. They had so much trouble with the Carlisle tires that he won't deal with them anymore. Tread separation was mentioned. So was under 6 months use.

Even though Goodyear Marathons have had their troubles he recommended that I buy them because I do tow my boat quite a bit. (over 4000 miles since last Fall and more to come). So that's what I'm getting. ST205 75R 14 Goodyear Marathon. We'll see how it goes. vic
Old 06-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #4

another thread on TT tires is here:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...-Opinion/page2

Check with Discount Tires for these Goodyear U-Haul tires, I'm very happy with the ones on our TT.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

We just pick up our new to us 2011 Pinnacle 35LKTS this week with Goodyear Marathon tires. The 5'ver made one trip to the Central Coast of California, parked for about a year then back - maybe 300 miles on the tire. We are selling our 2011 Keystone Raptor toy hauler which was a great rig but didn't make use of the toy box garage much.

I mention the toy hauler because we had a really nasty blowout (Power King Tow Master tires) on the rear most passenger side tire; our group of RV'ers were driving around 60 mph when it happened. Even though I probably pay more attention to my tires then most would, I couldn't prevent it or the resulting damage. Insurance took care of the $3,200+ repairs less my deductible, but from that point on (last November) I've spent considerable time researching RV forums for what might be a better trailer tire. Considered LT tires also which my brother in law went with - Michelin Ribs on his Fuzion toy hauler.

Based on all I have read and knowing there is likely no "best" tire, I ordered Maxxis M8008 ST radial 235/80R16E. I found little in the way of negative feedback on the Maxxis tires compared to others. The GY Marathon's are coming off tomorrow and time will tell how the Maxxis do. In addition to the new tires I have the TST TPMS to add a bit more peace of mind.
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #6

I originally had 13" tires on my boat trailer. I found that that size has very few options and all tires I did find had been aging on shelves for a long while. My trailer would allow 14" wheels/tires so I bought new wheels and changed to 14". You might want to consider this change. Much more options available.

I vote NO on any Carlisle tire.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #7

All my votes go to Maxxis. Have had bad experiences with GY Marathons, and my local dealer will not stock Carlisles due to many problems. He put the Maxxis tires on my 5er, and I've had no further problems. Also, I keep full 80psi in my E range tires, as mentioned by another posting.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #8

I just had Maxxis Load Range E tires put on my trailer. The speed rating is the same, but you'll get a stronger sidewall. The cost point between Load Range D & E tires isn't that much
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Installed a set of Carlisle "RH" Radial ST225/75R15, "E" Load Range, in the spring of 2012 and haven't had any problems with them. I must have at least 7,000 miles on them and the tread looks great.

The "RH" brand Carlisle tires I believe have been out only a couple of years.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #10

2X for Maxxis
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)