Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
New TT owner needs tow vehicle input

I just got a JayFlight 23mb, 6250GVWR. I am unsure if I should go with a 2500 series pu or if a 1500 series will do it. The grand cherokee pulls it fine, but I want the bed space of a pickup. With 4 adults, tongue weight, gear, etc, I'm probably pushing the max GVWR on my jeep. I would like to hear what others think on this. Thanks.

PA23mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
A properly equipped half ton will be a perfect vehicle for that trailer, however you're not going to go wrong with a 3/4 ton either. If you're looking for a comfortable daily driver as well as better fuel economy then looking at a tow-equipped half ton is probably your best bet. You don't NEED a 3/4 for that trailer but like I said, it's not going to do you any harm.

Payload is your biggest concern in a half ton used for heavy towing. With 4 adults, gear and the trailer you will want a truck with at least 1600lbs of payload, if not more depending on how much gear and how heavy the adults are.

The new aluminum bodied F-150 would be ideal for that trailer. Massive interior space in the Super Crew, great payloads often above 1800lbs, and plenty of power. If you were to consider a truck like that, I would highly recommend going with the Max Tow package, not just the regular tow package. It adds lots of extras that are highly beneficial to travel trailer towing.

2013 F-150 EcoBoost MaxTow
2013 Jay Flight 28BHS Elite

"My wheel lugs require more torque than your Honda makes!"
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
A newer 1/2 ton should do it. Like SkyBound said, 3/4 would be more than adequate. Remember, no such thing as too much truck.
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2012 Ford F250 6.2L 4x4 CCSB W/Air Lift air bags
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
2002 Coleman Bayside Elite (traded)
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!!

As mentioned, the payload of the truck is what will be the limit, then the rear axle after that.

Know that all occupants in the truck, any cargo in the bed (coolers, bikes, firewood,etc), any accessories added to the truck (step bars, spray in bed liner- aftermarket, truck cap/topper or tonneau cover, etc), the wdh (weight distribution hitch), AND the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) ALL COUNT toward the payload of the truck. So depending on what the passenger weight is, and the estimated gear in the truck bed is, you may be just fine with a properly equipped 1500/150, but if you want to take a bed full of firewood, chances are that you will be overweight with a 1500/150.

In every truck (all vehicles) there is a yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb stating "All occupant and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs".... Look for this sticker on every truck you consider!!! Know that the more options you add, the less the trucks payload could be. Ford does offer a max tow package which does increase the payload some, and they also offer the HD Payload package (think that's what they call it!) which will increase the payload even more when added to a max tow optioned truck.

Having the trailer puts you a step ahead. Try to get it all packed if possible for a trip (if you haven't fully "furnished" it yet having just bought it), and go weigh your current truck and trailer. This will give you a pretty good idea of your loaded tw. You can easily figure the passenger weight. Then try to estimate what you want to carry in the bed, and if you will add any accessories to the truck (topper/tonneau cover, step bars, etc. Add all these weights up and it will give you a ballpark amount of what you need in a truck. Then go shopping, checking the drivers door jamb of every possible truck!!!

When/if you do weigh the current set up, follow my signature link for the CAT Scale how to. You will want to weigh 3 seperate times. All explained in the link.

Good luck!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #5
Ram 1500...hemi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #6
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
You don't need a 3/4 ton to pull that trailer. A 1/2 ton is more than ample. However, there is a bit of a tendency for us folk to upgrade to larger units. If you want flexibility in the future to go to a larger trailer, or a 5th wheel, then you might want to consider the 3/4 ton.

If not, there's no reason to go there.
Proud Yukoner
2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat
2016 Whitehawk 27 DSRL
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:57 AM   #8
Not many folks on here say "I wish I had a smaller pickup". My wife loves driving our 3500HD, and she is the one who wanted the diesel. Test drive a 1500 and head to the scales with camper in tow to see where your real world numbers are. I would have to believe that a 1500 would fit your needs just fine. We use to tow a 2011 Jayco 26BH with a 2008 Sierra 1500 5.3/3.73 and it towed fine, just not as comfortably as our 2500HD and 3500HD in the mountains.

2015.5 GMC 3500HD crew cab 4x4 D/A
2016 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
270wsmhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
Send a message via AIM to cutie Send a message via MSN to cutie

We ordered the new GMC 1/2 ton with the new heavy duty max towing which can pull 12300 lbs,this was ordered as soon as we found out it was coming out. That was in 2013 picked up Feb.2014 and have been towing horse trailer with 2 1300 lb horses and tack through Smokey Mtns. since that time with no problems at all. with trailer and tack and horses approx.65-6800 lbs and now have been towing Eagle HT 5th wheel 7790 lbs loaded 9970 with ease. This is a SWB 1/2 Ton with Vortec 5.3 with max towing pkg. The max towing pkg is not the standard heavy duty pkg that is standard with GM tow pkgs. It is much heavier duty sits much like Z71 4x4 but 2 wheel with every thing beefed up to tow this much weight. Best purchase we ever made. We knew we would never tow more than this truck can handle and it rides and drives great up and down the mountains. Many 1/2 tons have the ability to tow this much now but we have done it for over 2 years and when your not towing,you get really great gas mileage with the vortec.
cutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
I'd run your current rig over to the scales and see what it really weighs and go from there. If it were me I'd prolly go 2500 just so I wasn't close to maxing anything out but that's me.

PMC is offline   Reply With Quote