Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #1

Question New WDH Set-up Correctly by Dealer?

Brought home our new trailer (White Hawk 23MBH) yesterday. Great experience overall! Dealer installed and set-up an Equal-i-zer brand WDH with 4-way sway control hitch 1200/12,000 lb. version.

The drive home included a combination of side streets, highways and interstate. It towed really smoothly for most of the 50 mile trip home until I entered the interstate for about 5 miles. We then got some pretty significant bobbing (up/down) the whole time while on that stretch running at around 60 mph. Once we got to our exit and onto country hwy roads, it towed super smoothly again. Truck had a full tank of gas and two passengers and trailer was unloaded as it was delivered from the dealer. Trailer weight is around 5100 lbs and TW is around 650 lbs. The Interstate where we had the issue was I94 just coming into WI. form MN.

Few questions:

1) Could this just be the spacing of the concrete slabs of the highway causing this and that this would be considered normal?

2)Could the WDH set-up still need some tweaking? The person that set up the WDH said he had done over 100 WD installs over 16 years so I trust his experience but I wonder...

Additional Details
When the trailer was hooked up and ready to go and while sitting on a level surface the trailer was slightly nose up. The installer said that the front of the truck dropped 1/2 in and rear dropped 3/4. He said it was set up this way assuming when loaded for a trip it (the trailer) would level out. Does this seem correct? From all of the reading I have done, not claiming any expertise however as this is new to me, it seems that the trailer should be level or slightly nose down, the front height of the vehicle should remain close to the same or maybe 1/2 inch up and rear should remain the same heigh or maybe 1/2 -3/4 down when trailer is hooked up and WD mechanisms attached.

I took measurements of the front and rear vehicle height 'before' going to the dealership but did not re-check them after it was hooked and then unhooked at home before measuring. I am going to go out this afternoon, hook back up and find a level spot to measure and try some more roads to see what I can figure out.

I will attempt to add a pic...kind of a bad angle so may not be that helpful.

I would appreciate any advice from people experienced with setting these things up. I would also be great to hear how others with a similar trailer/truck combos have theirs set-up.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #2

I'm no expert, but why did you get the 1200/12,000 hitch instead of the 1000/10,000? Maybe its too stiff.
Check out the hitch fit guide on the Equalizer site.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #3

I never asked, I assumed (I know not good) that they were the experts. They know the trailer specs and my truck specs and could figure the most compatible version. The installer had done this for 16 years and I only had a couple months of forum research experience. Doesn't seem like I would be in the positions to tell him how to do his job.

I gave them all the specs on my truck a few weeks ago so they could get it figured out. But yes, I am now wondering the same thing. When I go to the Equalizer site and put in my weights, it says I should use the 1000/10000 but that I am bordering on needed a heavier one.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #4

The towing could change a little once you put gear in the TT and put more tounge weight on. Maybe it's me but the TT looks nose high in the pic and it should be level or slightly nose down....again this may change when there is weight in the TT. Read over the hitch manual and see if they got it all right but I believe it says the TT should be loaded.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #5

You wont have a problem with too much WDH. However, without driving it myself and knowing the road I cannot offer much along the way of the bouncing. Did you feel unsafe or out of control at any point. However, since things seemed fine on the side roads and the bouncing was on the freeway, it was probably just the freeway.
The dealership set up sounds off to me. I have set my rigs up, by measuring the front and rear elevations of the TV and then set my WDH up accordingly so that the line of level remains as close to the same when the TT is hooked up. (in many older rigs, the trailers often times has a nose up attitude due to less ground clearance than the TV.
In any case, with your TT not loaded, your WDH should be set to that your TV and TT are level. As you load your TT you may find yourself having to set your WD (take up bars) on the next chain link or so thusly, putting more pressure on the bars and ensuring a more stable and level ride.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Videoguy,

IMO it's almost impossible to "pre-adjust" a WDH (under unloaded conditions) for an unknown loaded TV/TT condition...., to many variables that differ from one combination to another under loaded conditions (personal loading habits, etc.).

The only way to confirm if your WDH is sized/adjusted correctly is a visit to your local CAT scale under typical "loaded" TV/TT conditions. Before visiting the CAT scale check your TV's owners manual (Towing Section) and confirm your TV's front suspension requirements when using a WDH. If you tend to tow with water in the TT fresh water tank, make sure there is water in the tank at the CAT scale weigh-in (effects results).

CAT scale 'how-to': http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Yes, less then ideal road/weather conditions can effect TV/TT towing characteristics, thus the importance of confirming the WDH adjustment under loaded TV/TT conditions to optimize your TV handling of your TT. Your correct that your TT should tow level, or slightly nose down.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #7

I would say its the concrete roads that cause a lot of it ... my truck beats me to death sometimes when it gets to bouncing on concrete and then I get on paved roads and it rides smooth ... you might try one link looser on the wdh and see if that helps some