Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
IMO the 6 speed being an overdrive transmission is actually a 5 speed where towing is considered. And it would depend on the ratios of the 4'th gear of the 6 speed compared to the 3'rd gear of the 4 speed as to which one is better for towing. This is where the downshift/upshift work is done in towing.

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Abraham Lincoln

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #12
I have read that the newer 6+ speed transmissions dispel the old theories of having a high numerical gear like the 3.42, 3.73 and 4.10 because the trans itself has the lower gear (or higher numerical) ratios and they have closer ratios which help. I would be surprised that a half ton truck with a strong small block would have any trouble at all towing a 5k-6k travel trailer but of course that would depend on personal taste. A stronger drivetrain will have less downshifts so if you don't mind here the engine rev (sing) on inclines then I can't see why your combo wouldn't be adequate. I used to rent the much earlier vintage 4.8L single cab Uhaul pick ups when my E350 extended window van with the 460/C6 was in repairs to tow my then 9K+ boat/trailer about 15 miles from harbor to storage. I've owned/towed with an 98 Explorer with the 5.0L and 4 spd trans and when I got the newer 06 Explorer with the 4.6L and 6 sp trans it performed better and gained efficiency. I also towed with a 03 Navigator (5.4L) and believe the 1/2 tons are good haulers for moderate weight loads. As long as your are within the weight limits it boils down to personal taste.

08 31 BHDS G2
03 Excursion Ltd 6.0L
rowekmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
well...we shall see guys....looks like I'm purchasing a camper that weighs about 4100 lbs. They are going to put a weight distribution hitch on it for me. I'll update this adventure as we go....

Thanks for all the great input!!!

mblann1960 is offline   Reply With Quote