Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

Newbie here...question on towing

Hi all,

We're new to the travel trailer scene and I have some questions about towing. (go figure) I apologize if this has already been answered, but I'm very confused.

I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado, extended cab. (long bed) Currently I have no trailer hitch on the vehicle, it didn't come with one.
It has the 4.8L V8 engine. This is a half ton truck.

I'm looking at buying a 2014 Jayco Jay Flight 22FB.
So, the magic question is...will I be able to tow this trailer?
I'm in North Louisiana and it's pretty flat.
What about towing in Northern Arkansas with hilly terrain?

Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance!

Mark
mblann1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #2

Wink

Yes you can tow that trailer once you get a hitch installed and wiring. Also I learned from experience that when not outfitted with factory tow the circuit in the ecu that controls trailer lights is not turned on requires a dealer flash.i don't know if you can do this with a scan tool, it's my bet that it's a mfr proprietary patch. Was 80$ canadian for my '14 grand Cherokee. You will most likely be told to get a weight distribution hitch (WDH equalizer bars). She will bog down a bit on hills but that happens to the best of us. The 22fb is around 4650 lbs dry so in my opinion you won't have any trouble. Of course have a hitch installed. Duct tape won't work in this instance
2012 Mitsubishi Fuso canter fe160
Me, wife, girl, boy
Fawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #3

Here is the online Trailer Tow Rating guide:

http://dcd96xmek71bc.cloudfront.net/...ide_lo_res.pdf

it lists your factory tow rating from 4K-7K depending on rear gear ratio among other things. Take a look in your owners manual also.

How much does the trailer weigh?
Old 08-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #4

Dry weight of this trailer is 4125, hitch weight is 510
Old 08-04-2014, 01:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblann1960 View Post
snip..... I'm looking at buying a 2014 Jayco Jay Flight 22FB. So, the magic question is...will I be able to tow this trailer?....snip
Mark,

A number of variables play into answering your question with any confidence, one unknown is "your" loading habits..., we all load our TV's and TT's differently.

Since this is your first TT (Travel Trailer), please note:

* Focus on potential "loaded" weights, not UVW's.

* Jayco published UVW's (web site, brochures, etc.) don't reflect the actual Ship Weight. With a published UVW of 4,125lbs, I would estimate the Ship Weight around 4,500lbs UVW. The actual ship weight (UVW) will be noted on a yellow sticker attached to the TT.

* The "loaded" tongue weight will be 13% to 15% of the TT's actual (or potential)
"loaded" weight.

* The TV (Tow Vehicle) supports the TT's loaded tongue weight, so this weight is subtracted from the TV's "available" Payload Capacity.

* A TV's published Tow Rating isn't it's actual Tow Rating, refer to the following link:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3866

* Historically, a 1/2 ton pickup with a 4.8L engine are usually coupled with a high gear ratio axle(s) for the benefit of enhanced highway gas mileage, which isn't ideal for towing in the hills or mountains.

To determine your TV's "available" Payload Capacity, weigh your TV at a CAT scale under loaded conditions (full fuel, passengers, cargo), then subtract the CAT weight from the GVWR on your driver's door...., the remaining weight is the available payload capacity for a TT's loaded tongue weight and a WDH (50lbs).

A sample 22FB "loaded weight": (4,500lbs ship weight) + (100lbs dealer battery, etc.) + (600lbs cargo, tanks empty) = 5,200lbs loaded weight

The loaded tongue weight range of a 5,200lb 22FB = 676lbs - 780lbs (13% - 15%). This weight gets subtracted from your TV's payload capacity.

Again, actual loaded weights may be heavier then the results above depending on "your" loading habits...., keep in mind the 22FB has a GVWR of 6,500lbs.

Hope this food-for-thought helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #6

There are a couple of pages in your owners manual that list towing capacities with various gear and cab/box combinations. You will need to know your gears, which you can find in the RPO code list. You can find a list of codes here. You will also want to find out if you have a tow package, also an RPO code. Trouble is that without the hitch I suspect there was no tow package. That means there is probably no axillary transmission cooler, so if you choose to tow that trailer you will most surely want to get one installed. but quite honestly I think you are going to be very close to your rated capacities.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #7

Thanks to everyone for all the good input!!!

I seem to have the 3.23 gear ratio with my 4.8L truck, so from what I've read, this is NOT the ideal setup for towing heavy loads.

I'm gonna shop for a smaller trailer I think.
One of the Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Lights look nice...and are about 2500lbs lighter.

Living in Louisiana it's pretty flat, but I'll be wanting to go to Arkansas some up in the Ozarks, and it can be pretty hilly.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Mark,

It's great that you are taking the time in doing your do-diligence, much easier now...., also makes for a more enjoyable towing and camping experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblann1960 View Post
snip........ I seem to have the 3.23 gear ratio with my 4.8L truck, so from what I've read, this is NOT the ideal setup for towing heavy loads......snip
I agree, and I'm sure those towing with a similar TV drivetrain would concur with your thoughts..., especially with your desire to tow in the Ozarks.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 08-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Mark,

It's great that you are taking the time in doing your do-diligence, much easier now...., also makes for a more enjoyable towing and camping experience.

I agree, and I'm sure those towing with a similar TV drivetrain would concur with your thoughts..., especially with your desire to tow in the Ozarks.

Bob
My only question on this is how much difference does the 6 speed trans with the additional HP/torque make? In other words are the 3:23 gears not as much of an issue? My only experience is with 4 speeds, though I towed our old trailer using 2 different trucks that had 3:42 gears and I never viewed it as a limitation, even in mountains. You just go a little slower.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Chuck,

In the case of the 4.8L engine, I believe GM only provides a 4-speed tranny with this engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
My only question on this is how much difference does the 6 speed trans with the additional HP/torque make? In other words are the 3:23 gears not as much of an issue?.......snip
Good question. My understanding is that a gas engine w/6-speed & 3.23 gear ratio would have a "similar" output (final drive gear) as the same gas engine w/4-speed & 3.43 gear ratio. What this means when one is towing I'm sure would have a lot to do with the kind of weights being towed and where these weights fall in relation to the TV's weight limits.

One thing for sure, IMO the 6-speed will provide a little deeper gear at the low end for getting the weight moving without having an actual low gear ratio at the axle.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 08-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #11

IMO the 6 speed being an overdrive transmission is actually a 5 speed where towing is considered. And it would depend on the ratios of the 4'th gear of the 6 speed compared to the 3'rd gear of the 4 speed as to which one is better for towing. This is where the downshift/upshift work is done in towing.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #12

I have read that the newer 6+ speed transmissions dispel the old theories of having a high numerical gear like the 3.42, 3.73 and 4.10 because the trans itself has the lower gear (or higher numerical) ratios and they have closer ratios which help. I would be surprised that a half ton truck with a strong small block would have any trouble at all towing a 5k-6k travel trailer but of course that would depend on personal taste. A stronger drivetrain will have less downshifts so if you don't mind here the engine rev (sing) on inclines then I can't see why your combo wouldn't be adequate. I used to rent the much earlier vintage 4.8L single cab Uhaul pick ups when my E350 extended window van with the 460/C6 was in repairs to tow my then 9K+ boat/trailer about 15 miles from harbor to storage. I've owned/towed with an 98 Explorer with the 5.0L and 4 spd trans and when I got the newer 06 Explorer with the 4.6L and 6 sp trans it performed better and gained efficiency. I also towed with a 03 Navigator (5.4L) and believe the 1/2 tons are good haulers for moderate weight loads. As long as your are within the weight limits it boils down to personal taste.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #13

well...we shall see guys....looks like I'm purchasing a camper that weighs about 4100 lbs. They are going to put a weight distribution hitch on it for me. I'll update this adventure as we go....

Thanks for all the great input!!!

Mark