Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #1

No tow mirrors....why?

We were headed down I-80 in Nebraska when we got stuck behind a guy pulling a smaller Airstream. When I had a chance to pass him, he changed lanes at the same time and I noticed his Sierra 1500 had the standard mirrors and he probably had no idea I was behind him. Why would you ever pull a TT down a crowded, 75 mph interstate without tow mirrors?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #2

ID-10-T (ID10T) error!

You have to wonder how many folks they have unknowingly cut off.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

He was an active danger to you and himself.

I think it would be appropriate to 911 him.

Maybe some State Police, etc. could chime in? I did it once on a very elderly lady driving 45 in the inside of a 8 lane interstate near Tampa.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #4

I see it all the time. To cheap and or lazy to do the right thing.

Mentioned to a guy last year while in line at a dump station his licence plates on his tt where very expired. He said he know, but the tabs where to expensive for only using the tt a couple times a year. There $12.50 a year. The fine, is a lot more than that.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #5

When I went to order my truck (2016 Lariat) and listed options for the salesperson, she said no one wants towing mirrors since "they are just ugly!". I told her put them on the build sheet or I walk. Power fold mirrors are on the truck.

As for expired plates, most people think they can get away 1) playing stupid (sorry officer, I didn't realize), figure they will only have to pay for current tags (most states make you pay for all years you didn't purchase), or 3) think the judge will let them off (most courts now make fines stick, plus court costs and pay for missing years).

When I lived in Northern Arizona and Northern Minnesota the cops would check these scofflaws trailers and ticket them if they skipped buying tags again.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post

Maybe some State Police, etc. could chime in? I did it once on a very elderly lady driving 45 in the inside of a 8 lane interstate near Tampa.
+1
Old 05-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #7

We have done 25,000 miles without extended mirrors.
We pay attention and have a clear view of both sides of the trailer. Its a 7 foot wide trailer. Any wider and this would not work.
So far we have not annoyed nor cut off anyone.
Its possible your lunatic would have done the same with extended mirrors.

We have tried for extended mirrors but all fall off. We have lost no less than four on the highway. We give up Nothing fits the Ridgeline well.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
We have done 25,000 miles without extended mirrors.
We pay attention and have a clear view of both sides of the trailer. Its a 7 foot wide trailer. Any wider and this would not work.
So far we have not annoyed nor cut off anyone.
Its possible your lunatic would have done the same with extended mirrors.

We have tried for extended mirrors but all fall off. We have lost no less than four on the highway. We give up Nothing fits the Ridgeline well.
Glad to see you make the effort to see around you. We had looked at a Ridgeline for light towing but the total lack of towing mirrors, either from Honda (who obviously feel it isn't a problem) or aftermarket had me look for a 2012 Ford Ranger for light towing. Otherwise we stick with our 2016 F-150 with tow mirrors.

Stay safe.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #9

We have tried for extended mirrors but all fall off. We have lost no less than four on the highway. We give up Nothing fits the Ridgeline well.[/QUOTE]

I once had an 11 RidgeLine, it often pulled a 24' HiLo.

I found some expensive mirrors that were solid, nearly vibration free, in a Mom and Pop RV service center. Unfortunately I don't recall what they were. When I sold the RL I was able to resell the mirrors for almost all my money back.

Keep looking, they do exist.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
When I went to order my truck (2016 Lariat) and listed options for the salesperson, she said no one wants towing mirrors since "they are just ugly!". I told her put them on the build sheet or I walk. Power fold mirrors are on the truck.

Same. When I bought my 2016 F150, tow mirrors were non-negotiable, same for the 6.5ft bed. There are some things that just make towing safer and better.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post

While possibly unsafe, there is nothing illegal about towing without towing mirrors.

The nanny state is alive and well. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #12

If there were laws against being stupid, we would all spend some time behind bars.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
If there were laws against being stupid, we would all spend some time behind bars.

Murff
Amen Murff!!
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Same. When I bought my 2016 F150, tow mirrors were non-negotiable, same for the 6.5ft bed. There are some things that just make towing safer and better.

Same here. 6.5ft box but with 2WD. I've owned 4WD when I lived in northern WI/MN and in the mountains of Flagstaff, AZ. But having to move to southern Georgia for my wife's job, I don't see any need to haul around the extra 600lbs of hardware. The salesperson told me no one ever bought a 2WD F-150. My answer was here was her chance and it was, like the tow mirrors, a deal breaker.

Next time I might go back to 4X4 just for the auto setting on the F-150 which would let me flat tow.

And the dealer has been great for service.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #15

We have add-on tow mirrors but we only using them when traveling far. We do, however, have a camera installed in the back window of our TT with a monitor in the SUV. This allows us to see what is behind us across 3 lanes. When I (Debbie) am driving I usually ask my husband to check the lane closest to him before I move into it.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #16

I had a pair of CIPA slide on towing mirrors and could not stand the way they vibrated. I could see just fine behind me, but with the vibration the view was blurry. I have since then upgraded to the factory towing mirrors which gives me great view. I also added a camera to the rear of the FW so I can see what's behind me and I can tell when it is safe to change lanes.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:38 AM   #17

We purchased our White Hawk 25BHS because we liked the floorplan and it was light enough to tow with our GMC 1500. As I was towing it home I realized I needed tow mirrors because the only time I could see behind me was when I was turning a slight curve in the highway.

I never considered it unsafe since there were always enough curves to check the rear but I started looking at OEM & aftermarket tow mirrors. But, we ended up upgrading to a new GMC 2500 Duramax (with tow mirrors) less than 6 months later. Problem solved.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #18

there are plenty of drivers WITH tow mirrors that do not use them
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #19

I have used Cipa towing mirrors on 2 previous vehicles and now have Fit System towing mirrors for my Toyota and never had a problem with any of them. The factory mirrors work well for seeing the lanes next to me and the clip on mirrors help with seeing directly behind the trailer. However there is always someone that will tailgate you and be out of view, then when you hit your blinker and begin to change lanes they will move over and attempt to pass at the last second. Whenever I am on the road and start to over take any vehicle that is towing I change lanes well before I am directly behind them. If I can't move over I follow far enough behind that I can see their side view mirror. If I can see them they can see me.
Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
While possibly unsafe, there is nothing illegal about towing without towing mirrors.
While towing mirrors are not specifically required, most states have some specific mirror requirements. Usually it's 200' feet of vision behind the towed vehicle. Also, in PA the mirrors may not extend more than 6" beyond the width of the towed vehicle. Having said that, how likely is it that you would ever get stopped and have to prove you have 200' of vision behind your load???

To all who are considering towing mirrors, I have been very happy with my CIPA slip-on mirrors. Absolutely zero vibration, and they clamp very firmly in place so there's no danger of them falling off my F-150. Best of all, they're quite inexpensive. Only challenge may be finding them for your tow vehicle.

IMHO, the OP clearly encountered a really bad driver who probably should not be on the road towing an RV or anything else.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote