Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
After looking at your picture, something just don't look right, it looks like the ball is tilted forward way to much. The ball is suppose to tilt backwards a little bit.
You maybe right. I printed off the hitch instructions and hope to take a look at this again this weekend. I'm at the lowest setting on my shank so if I have to drop the ball height a little more, I may try a 1" riser ball before resorting to a 12" shank.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
You maybe right. I printed off the hitch instructions and hope to take a look at this again this weekend. I'm at the lowest setting on my shank so if I have to drop the ball height a little more, I may try a 1" riser ball before resorting to a 12" shank.
That's what I would do. I know you mentioned the other thread where the guy's hitch head sheared his safety chain, but from the pic you posted it looks like yours will have enough clearance with the 1" riser. By the time you get the smaller riser on there, tilt the head aft a little, get everything leveled and measure your fenders and make the appropriate adjustments, I think you'll be right as rain.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #23

Why a riser ball at all? What purpose is that serving? Looks to me like that just compounds any problems by creating un-necessary angles at the hitch. If you have dropped your hitch to it's lowest point, and you still feel that you are too high at the nose, and have a riser ball, isn't it logical to eliminate a couple of inches by putting the proper ball on the hitch? Just trying to figure out why that is your choice of ball?

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #24

Bob, the dealer put that 2" riser on when the set up the hitch to my old 1500. They had the hitch almost all the way at the bottom of the shank then the 2" riser which didn't make sense to me. I'll have to see if there is a clearance issue before swapping out balls.

I dropped the hitch to the lowest setting on the shank and the TT level look perfect but the bars are now high in the front and not parallel with the TT frame like the used to be. That angle is putting more tension on the back of the bars and making it difficult for me to get the bars on and off the perches, even with the back of the truck raised up high.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote