Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #1

Opinions on Tow Vehicles.

Hello Everyone, I have been lurking on the site for a while and now it's time for a post. We purchased a '12 X213 a few months ago and LOVE it so far. We have been on 3 trips to date, 7-8 nights so far. This last weekend we took it to the mountains and man did our TV not appreciate that. I could not keep the engine temps down. We are towing it with a Hemi Durango. Tow rating at 8800lbs. There was more than enough power but as soon as I tried to push on the skinny pedal the engine temps would start to rise. After that trip we have decided that maybe it's time to upgrade the TV. Right now I kind of have it narrowed down to a Chevy/GMC, Ram, or Tundra 1/2 ton pickups. We have 2 kids and 2 dogs that we also have to accomodate for so the larger the TV the better. Now the x213 max weight is 5500 lbs max so most trucks can beat that easily with the ratings. But there are some nasty hills around here that can tax the engines without a trailer on there. I am looking for reasons to choose one over the other. I like the Chevy but the 5.3l seems so underpowered compared to the Dodge and Toyota. Any help appreciated.
Mike
AZ Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

I went through the same decision process. I have always owned and driven Chevy trucks, and so when I bought an F150 Ecco Boost, my wife was shocked.

The F150 is a great tuck and the Ecco Boost is the real deal!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Mike View Post
Hello Everyone, I have been lurking on the site for a while and now it's time for a post. We purchased a '12 X213 a few months ago and LOVE it so far. We have been on 3 trips to date, 7-8 nights so far. This last weekend we took it to the mountains and man did our TV not appreciate that. I could not keep the engine temps down. We are towing it with a Hemi Durango. Tow rating at 8800lbs. There was more than enough power but as soon as I tried to push on the skinny pedal the engine temps would start to rise. After that trip we have decided that maybe it's time to upgrade the TV. Right now I kind of have it narrowed down to a Chevy/GMC, Ram, or Tundra 1/2 ton pickups. We have 2 kids and 2 dogs that we also have to accomodate for so the larger the TV the better. Now the x213 max weight is 5500 lbs max so most trucks can beat that easily with the ratings. But there are some nasty hills around here that can tax the engines without a trailer on there. I am looking for reasons to choose one over the other. I like the Chevy but the 5.3l seems so underpowered compared to the Dodge and Toyota. Any help appreciated.
Mike
If your current RV is your first, remember the first is called a "starter" and most beginners upgrade after a couple of years- "Upgrade" means bigger and heavier so buy as large a TV as you can afford so you'll be ready for the comming "upgrade"- Don't ask me how I know- JMHO- DD
Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #4

I understand your pain Diesel Donnie. This is actually our second trailer, third if you count my dad's PUP we used for a few years. We bought this size so we didn't have to get a new TV. So much for that... But maybe something even bigger makes sense. Althought it has to double as a daily driver when my wife has to go into work. Which is 2-3x's a week. But I don't mind a truck that drives/rides like a truck. There is a Diesel in the area for a decent price. We can't really go over $25k so used is really the only option...

I have heard the Eco Boost is a nice truck but doesn't get any where near the MPG that Ford advertises. What is your experience?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #5

While I agree get the biggest you can afford (I couldn't afford a dually) any of your choices would work well. I am surprised that the Durango is overheating, I assume that it has the towing package. I towed with a Hemi Durango tow package and 3.92 gears and had no issues with the engine or cooling. A couple times the fan would kick in and sound like a DC-10, but it would cool down quickly.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #6

Yeah it has the towing package. But I have a Napa fan clutch instead of the stock heavy duty Dodge one. That may be the source of the problem. But it has 125k miles and getting higher everyday. I have an intake/exhaust/programmer on it an power is no problem. We just payed the D off but I have kinda been wanting something new for a while, even though I love the Durango. I may just go get the $100 fan clutch from the dealer and see if that helps. Problem is if it doesn't it is only getting hotter around here. It was pretty mild last trip, about 98 or so. Soon it will be 115 out and if it's a problem still i'm afraid of what that will do. Leave us stranded or worse, take out the engine. Then any equity I have in the truck will be gone!
But that's the dilema I guess. The smart money is fixing the Durango but no ones ever accused me of doing the smart thing...
Old 05-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Mike View Post
I have heard the Eco Boost is a nice truck but doesn't get any where near the MPG that Ford advertises. What is your experience?
I cannot comment much on the MPG at this point because I have only had mine for two weeks - engine is not broken in yet.

But even with that, I average around 18.5 (hand calculated) with 70% city driving. I live in a flat area and my city driving is not a lot of stop and go. I get 21 - 22 on the Freeway at 73 right now as well.

I have not done any towing yet as our TT has not come in yet, so I cannot comment on towing, but from what I know, I can probably expect 11 - 13 given the size and weight of our TT.

You won't find a used one for under $25K though.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #8

I loved my Durango too, and while it has gobs of power it is not a very good tow vehicle (short wheel base / mushy tires). I have never had any luck with aftermarket clutch fans on any vehicle that I have owned. Regardless if you tow or not, if your temperature is climbing and you don't hear that fan roar, replace the clutch fan.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #9

You know, I thought that it had a short wheelbase too but it's longer than the expedition and tahoe. Not by much but the numbers I was looking at, it was longer. Not to say that it is longer than a truck...

They are considerably more narrow though, 4 or 5 inches if memory serves. And with the wider TT these days that might make a difference. This last trip we went from Mesa, AZ to Near Forest Lakes, AZ. The overhead calculated 9.2mpg on the way up. The total by the time we got back was just over 10mpg. Not as bad as I thought it might be. On the flats I can average about 13. But that's at about 60mph, I don't push it.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to spend the $100 and get a new fan clutch. Even though I really want a truck again.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker View Post
I cannot comment much on the MPG at this point because I have only had mine for two weeks - engine is not broken in yet.

But even with that, I average around 18.5 (hand calculated) with 70% city driving. I live in a flat area and my city driving is not a lot of stop and go. I get 21 - 22 on the Freeway at 73 right now as well.

I have not done any towing yet as our TT has not come in yet, so I cannot comment on towing, but from what I know, I can probably expect 11 - 13 given the size and weight of our TT.

You won't find a used one for under $25K though.
I've had mine for about six weeks now and I am still averaging around 17 mpg. When towing, I was seeing about 11.5 mpg but that was a relatively short trip. We're about to leave on a 5k mile trip so by the time I get back, I will have a good idea of the true towing mileage.

p.s. I've always owned GMC and Toyota trucks but I have to say, I absolutely love this EcoBoost.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #11

I have had my ecoboost for 6 months now and have averaged 15 mpg on the 3200 miles acumulated. My driving has been 90% city driving. On our first short trip towing our 4400# tt we averaged 10.8 mpg at 90% highway driving. Soon we,ll be taking a longer trip also and will get a more accurate figure. Where the ecoboost seems to shine is on non towing at 60 mph consistently getting 21 mpg. Unfortunately i don't do a lot of highway miles unless i'm towing but i'm very pleased with it so far.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, AZ Mike.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #13

Thanks for the welcome Crabman.
I have been towing trailers for almost 10 years now so I have a little experience doing it. This new Jayco tows like nothing else I've towed before. So much nicer. I think a lot of it has to do with the torsion axles.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
I have had my ecoboost for 6 months now and have averaged 15 mpg on the 3200 miles acumulated. My driving has been 90% city driving. On our first short trip towing our 4400# tt we averaged 10.8 mpg at 90% highway driving. Soon we,ll be taking a longer trip also and will get a more accurate figure. Where the ecoboost seems to shine is on non towing at 60 mph consistently getting 21 mpg. Unfortunately i don't do a lot of highway miles unless i'm towing but i'm very pleased with it so far.
21mpg at 60 doesn't sound all that groundbreaking to me. I could do that in my '05 Ram. Problem is, on the Phoenix highways, if you are doing 60 you might get shot! LOL

It's good to get some real person #'s on it though. The advertised #'s look too good to be true. Unfortunately, I can't afford one of those now. Or fortunately, depending on how you look at it. (I was raised a chevy man)
Old 05-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #15

I can say that I did 75 on a 150 mile round trip with my Ecco boost yesterday and averaged 21 even according to computer. Computer has been accurate so far to my hand calculations.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #16

Congrats on your new X213, I have 2012 as well and I pull her with my Ram 1500 4x4 quad cab. it has the tow haul mode which makes a world of difference pulling on the hills. It pulls pretty easily and the temp stays below half. My Brother in law just bought the F150 with the Ecotec engine. He has already booked a 25' TT that he is going to tow.