Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #1

Ordering new truck to pul WhiteHawk 27DSRL

I have ordered a new Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL trailer. little over 6000 pounds empty with a max of 7500. 31 feet long with hitch weight of 685. Will be using weight distribution hitch.

Looking at both of the above vehicle. I have dropped out the RAM due to low Payload. Too bad because I really like it! Ford the 3.5 Ecoboost with the 10 speed and the GMC with either the 5.3 or 6.3 and the eight speed.

Any recommendations concerning one or the other? Anyone with this set up?

1/2 ton only, I want to fit in the garage. I want a good ride when no pulling since it will be my daily driver.

Thanks.

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #2

Both are great trucks. The Ecoboosts get decent mileage if you have a light foot, but like any turbo motor they will get far worse than rated mileage if you get into the throttle much or tow. The GM 5.3 is an awesome motor that gets pretty good mileage- the 6.2 is a beast but it's a gas hog. I'm partial to the styling on the GMC vs. Chevy.

After that it just comes down to what you like best. Have fun shopping

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #3

I had a 2016 F150 XLT, 3.5l eco-boost, 4x4 with max tow pulling a 2017 27DSRL. The truck did fine pulling the TT. I didn't have a chance to pull it through the hills and mountains because we purchased it late in the year this past year. I loved the ride of the F150! Wound up trading it for a 2017 F250 Lariat with much more payload. I found that with the F150 I had, we were maxed out on payload. I and the DW wanted more cushion but that's just us. The F150 would make an excellent daily driver. I opted for the F250 because I use my Ford Escape as my daily driver.

Enjoy shopping. That's always fun!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #4

Just look carefully at the truck specs ... the first limit will be the hitch receiver on the truck! Add in weight of batteries, propane and the WD Hitch to the tongue weight. You may find that the receiver max. tongue weight limits what additional stuff (including water, etc.) you can put in the trailer. Then look at truck payload capacity as the next most restrictive measure. I was really surprised that my tricked out F-150 (2166 lb payload!) had a receiver that was the weakest link. It was do-able, but I had to pay attention to what was going to go in the same model Whitehawk. But I did have lots of leftover payload capacity in the truck bed....
Old 02-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #5

I'm a Ram guy personally but that new generation 3.5 eco with the 10 speed gets my vote. Just get the HD payload package with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
PMC

I pulled our 27DSRL (2015 model) with a 2012 F150 EcoBoost and just be warned that while there is more than enough power you pay for it at the pump. I rarely got more than 8 mpg with that trailer and had tanks where it was <7 mpg and I usually pulled at <65 mph. Going through the mountains wasn't an issue at all, it pulled as hard at 9500 feet as it did anywhere else.

My 2012 was maxed suspension wise with that trailer and the handling was sketchy when conditions deteriorated. The new stuff has higher Load Ratings though so maybe they'd be fine.

Really loved the truck but moved to a 1 ton diesel and haven't looked back. New one also fits in the garage but YMMV.

I used an Equalizer hitch and still am on the new truck. I really like it... for the record.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #7

I only want to comment on your reason for not wanting a 250 because of the ride for the daily driver.

I had both a 1/2 and 3/4 for a while, and I couldn't tell the difference in ride. I car pooled with a fellow with a F350, and it was no difference either.

Maybe I just have a hard butt....

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #8

I finally did order a truck. Ordered a GMC crew cab Sierra 1500. Max tow option. 6.2 v8 with 8'speed trans. 3.42 rear end. Payload over 1800 with Max tow at 12,000.

Thanks for the comments.

Steve
Old 03-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #9

Steve,

Congrats on the new rig on order!!!

As for what truck, I guess the big question would be is just how do you pack if this isn't a first trailer for you guys? What all will you haul in the truck? If on the heavier side, you may be pushing the limits of a 1500/150 trucks payload and hitch rating as mentioned. While a hitch can possibly be replaced with a more stout unit, you can not add to the rated payload as you probably know.

I would probably add the Max Tow package if you go with one of the GM Twins, or the Max Tow AND the Heavy Duty Payload packages if you decide to go with the F150.

Do know that while a 1500/150 may ride a little better with stock p rated tires, if you add a set of LT tires to it there probably won't be a huge noticeable difference in ride, if at all. As for fitting in the garage, is it a height issue, or length? What cab/ bed combo are you looking at?

Also, are you looking at a 2wd or 4wd truck? You may be able to gain some payload by going with a 2wd.

Best thing I guess to do is go drive both, and see if you like the Gm Twins or the Ford better, then go from there.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #10

Congrats!!!

Guess I was slow typing my post!!!! Lol

Old 03-04-2017, 05:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Steve,

Congrats on the new rig on order!!!

As for what truck, I guess the big question would be is just how do you pack if this isn't a first trailer for you guys? What all will you haul in the truck? If on the heavier side, you may be pushing the limits of a 1500/150 trucks payload and hitch rating as mentioned. While a hitch can possibly be replaced with a more stout unit, you can not add to the rated payload as you probably know.

I would probably add the Max Tow package if you go with one of the GM Twins, or the Max Tow AND the Heavy Duty Payload packages if you decide to go with the F150.

Do know that while a 1500/150 may ride a little better with stock p rated tires, if you add a set of LT tires to it there probably won't be a huge noticeable difference in ride, if at all. As for fitting in the garage, is it a height issue, or length? What cab/ bed combo are you looking at?

Also, are you looking at a 2wd or 4wd truck? You may be able to gain some payload by going with a 2wd.

Best thing I guess to do is go drive both, and see if you like the Gm Twins or the Ford better, then go from there.

Good luck!!!
Thanks for the reply!

I have ordered a GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Max tow option, 6.2 v8 and 8 speed trans. A crew cab short bed. 342 rear end. Payload 1800 pounds and tow rate around 12,000.

I was a full timer for 8 years in a 40 foot motorhome. This trailer will be used for local trips and to stay in in Florida for a portion of the winter. I will be as cautious as possible considering the load and where I put everything.

I really liked the Zram but the payload was a killer. Liked the ford too. Never looked at the GMC until recently. Really like the looks and the interior. I am hoping this will be a good truck.

I was concerned about length for my garage. This one will fit.

Steve
Old 03-04-2017, 06:27 AM   #12

Congrats on the new tow rig!!!

Old 03-05-2017, 06:39 AM   #13

Thumbs up

Congrats on the new tow rig! Not a GM fan but that will make a nice tow rig for your camper!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote