Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2016, 06:53 AM   #651
Site Team

We had some engine problems on our last trip and looked at the Ram 3500 but decided to drive this for another 110K.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2196.jpg  

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #652

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We had some engine problems on our last trip and looked at the Ram 3500 but decided to drive this for another 110K.

Did you only replace the HPOP or did you do some other bullet proofing as well while it was opened up?

Old 03-09-2016, 07:17 AM   #653
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Did you only replace the HPOP or did you do some other bullet proofing as well while it was opened up?
They replaced the HP oil sensor and checked the pressure over under the valve cover on the passenger side. They said nothing left to do except replace the head studs but it should not be necessary the way we drive it. Time will tell but I don't plan to put much more money in it. I'm talking with several mechanics to see what it would cost to do the head bolt mod it's in the future if at all.

We have already replaced the alternator, EGR delete, coolant filter and cleaned the Turbo.

We spent all day last week looking at Ram 3500's and the sticker shock was awful for what I wanted.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 03-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #654

I am in the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" when it comes to the 6.0l engine. That being said, you could have saved a lot of labor cost to do the studs when it was opened up. Mine is pretty much stock. I'm waiting for the day when (if) I'll need to any bullet proofing to mine. I'll prob do the egr delete, head studs, and all the other updates like STC fittings, standpipes, etc.
I plan to keep mine as long as possible. Can't afford a new, $75k truck!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #655
Site Team

[QUOTE=Magnolia Tom;384908]I am in the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" when it comes to the 6.0l engine. /QUOTE]

I have many friends with the 6.0s. Virtually every one of them has had problems of some type. When this happened we were stuck in no whereville and my wife was sick so time was of the essence. If I had been at home I may have sprung for it.

How many miles on your truck? It will be broke one day after it sets 75 to 80K per my friends experience.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #656

Not interested in the Powerstroke 6.7L?

That truck has been pretty much bulletproof.

My dad own's one (2011) and it is a very nice truck. His last truck, a 7.3L (2000MY) lasted him 11 years and 450,000km and he still sold it for a good amount. The second owner still drives it today, I see it around town regularly.

The 6.0L was a bad motor, hopefully it doesn't taint your outlook on Ford too much, but when your spending $, I guess it's hard not too.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #657

[QUOTE=norty1;384928]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I am in the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" when it comes to the 6.0l engine. /QUOTE]

I have many friends with the 6.0s. Virtually every one of them has had problems of some type. When this happened we were stuck in no whereville and my wife was sick so time was of the essence. If I had been at home I may have sprung for it.

How many miles on your truck? It will be broke one day after it sets 75 to 80K per my friends experience.

I have 125k on mine. I had an 05 F250 with 199k (only egr delete and new oil cooler) and an 04 excursion with 175k (studs, oil cooler and egr delete). Once you address the known weaknesses, they are actually good motors. They do need diligent maintenance.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Not interested in the Powerstroke 6.7L?

That truck has been pretty much bulletproof.

My dad own's one (2011) and it is a very nice truck. His last truck, a 7.3L (2000MY) lasted him 11 years and 450,000km and he still sold it for a good amount. The second owner still drives it today, I see it around town regularly.

The 6.0L was a bad motor, hopefully it doesn't taint your outlook on Ford too much, but when your spending $, I guess it's hard not too.

I would disagree with the statement that the 6.0 was a bad motor. It was a motor ahead of its time. It was rushed into production and the ford techs and other mechanics didn't know how to properly diagnose the problems they had, causing return visits to the shop to fix the same problem over and over. This led to its bad reputation. It's "bad reputation" is also why these trucks can be had for a bargain price now. Ok, off my soap box.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #659
Site Team

Don't get me wrong. I love the ride and looks of my 06 - 6.0. I have no problems with owning a 6.7 someday. Most of the 6.0 problems I have had were fixed with the extended warranty. (only one I ever bought that payed for itself.)

I have spent some money since my warranty ran out but will be a happy camper if it does not cost me anymore $$$$. It has been well cared for. Serviced every 5K and every factory maintenance interval completed.

The reputation definitely affects the resale value and scares many off. I would be scared off also. I thought they had id'd and fixed the earlier problems. That was what the salesman told me anyhow.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #660

Well folks my 15.5 (TV and DD) 2500 duramax had the number 9 injector fail and stick open flooding my emissions system with fuel and causing the spot gram rate to cause regeneration every 200 miles.
Got it fixed under warranty 16600 miles on the truck.

Delete will be coming soon