Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #1

Prospective buyer of Jayco Jay Flight Swift SLX 154BH or 184BH.

Hi, all. Newbie here that has done extensive research on purchasing a Jayco Jay Flight Swift SLX 154BH or 184BH. I like to travel with my wife, two kids, four bicycles and a 13.5 LB Minature Schaunzer.

I'd like some feedback from anyone that tows these units with a minivan. I have a Honda Odyssey with factory tow package (rated at 3,500) and Air Lift Air bags. Have previsouly pulled a dry weight pop up of 1,800 LBS--actual weight with bikes and luggage; about 2,500 LBS.

I will have the necessary weight distribution hitch, sway bar and brake controller installed if I make the purchase.

I've seen some posts where folks recommend not to pull a travel trailer with the Odyssey. Anybody out there have positive experiences with this tow set up?

Appreciate any and all input.

Thank you...
BrianGVLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #2

Take a look at your towing and cargo limits. You may want to hit the scales with your van fully loaded with fuel, passengers, cargo, etc to see what your weights are, then subtract from the total allowed to see how much you have to work with for the trailer.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #3

Yes. I should get to a scale. On paper I am okay with weights if we choose the 154. The 184 brings me closer to the max, but offers a 3,500lb axle vs. 3,200lb on the 154.

Thanks...
Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

Pulling the 184BH with a 2013 Ford Escape that has a #3500 tow capacity. Definitely go to the scale and also purchase a tongue scale. When I brought our new fully loaded trailer home from the dealer our tongue weighed almost #500! Of course the water tank that is all the way up front was full to the top. To get under the #350 tongue weight I travel with the water tank empty, propane tank removed and moved all heavy items inside the trailer to underneath and on top of the bunks. Tows very well at a reasonable speed with the air springs and just a sway bar, no WDH.

2014 Jayco Swift SLX 184BH
2015 Ford F 150
2006 Four Wheel Camper (Hawk)
Tucson, AZ
lssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lssmith View Post
When I brought our new fully loaded trailer home from the dealer our tongue weighed almost #500!
No surprise - I first weighed my 154BH at almost 430# loaded. Almost all my gear is now loaded on or behind the axle to keep me at a tongue weight @ 300#

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #6

I pulled the 184 with an '02 Explorer that had a 3500# tow rating as well. It was at the top of every capacity but it did just fine. I wouldn't have pushed it anymore though. There was 3 of us and our things. We stayed in WI. which is relatively flat and kept the truck out of overdrive.
I agree with the others though, load up your van as if you're heading out on a long vacation, fill up the gas tank and pile everyone in. Your dealer should allow you to pick up the trailer (before you buy it) and head to the scales to make sure you're making a well informed decision. Here's a link to prepare you for the scale. http://catscale.com/how-to-weigh You can also weigh the tongue by disconnecting the truck and driving off of the scale so platform 2 can read it. It cost me $9 and included the tongue weight. If you're equal to or less than your capacities, you're set. I'd start with the 184. Best wishes. We loved the trailer.

Edit: I also used weight distribution and sway control
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #7

Russell,
Thanks for your endorsement of the 184. Due to my 6'2" height and concern of space in the 154, I'm leaning that way, too. I see you are in Wisconsin. I am in Chicago-land and can't wait for this winter to be finished!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #8

I used to own a 154bh, sold it to a family with a Rav4 V6. I did research on it at the time, and everything a read pointed towards not using WD hitch with a unibody vehicle. There is nothing to distribute the weight to if there is no solid frame. But i'm by no means an expert. I let the perspective buyer know i would be a little uneasy. But he purchased and drove it from Alberta Canada out east to Ontario that summer. Wish i knew how it went, but i never heard from him again. All the best in your choice. I'm 6'4" and the 154 worked for a bit, but a little tight in the rain. I'd recommend the 184, but i think you'll be close on weight. Ask a professional that isn't looking for the sale would be the best suggestion.

Edit**
I may have been misinformed. There are plenty of examples using WD, and i found a board with some older Oddysey examples, may be helpful. http://forums.goodsamclub.com/index....4.cfm#25826834
Again, good luck. Don't listen to me, I'm a chicken. Lol

2013 Jayflight 25BHS Elite
TV: 2002 Chevrolet 1500HD Crew Cab 3.73 Gears
:Canada:
Elecchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGVLK View Post
Russell,
Thanks for your endorsement of the 184. Due to my 6'2" height and concern of space in the 154, I'm leaning that way, too. I see you are in Wisconsin. I am in Chicago-land and can't wait for this winter to be finished!
You aren't kidding. Very anxious for Spring.

Quick question for you... I know we're squeezing weight ratings here but it's very close so if you can afford the extra hundred pounds you may want to consider a 2014 Coachmen Clipper ULTRA-Lite 17 Bunk House. It has Better a/c, Permanent bed and dinette, Top bunks not so claustrophobic, "Pack and Play" Storage for your bikes, bigger black and grey tanks, very close weight ratings and it's in the same price range.
Here's a good link with pictures http://www.acnrv.com/inventory/32639...Lite-17BH.aspx
Even a Youtube video

Man I should market these things... I'd make a killing lol

Nah, just something we wished we had at the time so I thought I'd pass the info along to you.

Here's another option if you like the floor plan. This one's a little lighter http://www.gagscamperway.com/rv/new/60518-0.htm

Best wishes with your search again. Keep us posted on your decision.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #10

Russell, We'll look at the Viking Trailer this weekend. It is one of the models at the RV show. My initial thoughts are too heavy.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 02-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGVLK View Post
My initial thoughts are too heavy.
Mine were too and now thinking about it I think you'll be well under that GVWR. You'd have to try really hard to pack over 600lbs of stuff
Anyway ... just more food for thought. Hindsight tells me that's the perfect unit in that weigh and price range.
Look at me living vicariously

Is there a show in Chicago this weekend? We're going to the Milwaukee show first weekend in March. And it just so happens to be my birthday. Something spells trouble hahahaha
Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #12

Yes the show is in Rosemont IL and thru Sunday. http://www.chicagorvshow.com/
Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #13

Hey BrianGVLK,
Did you buy a new trailer?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #14

Pretty soon. The RV show was so busy it was not enjoyable. We're going to the dealer next week, to make a final decision.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #15

Pretty soon. The RV show was so busy it was not enjoyable. We're going to the dealer next week, to make a final decision.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #16

Ok... We chose the 184BH. We pick it up on March 15th. I hope the weather cooperates that day. We'll see how the mini-van pulls it this summer. If all goes well, we will not be in the market for a different tow vehicle.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #17

Awesome! Congrats Brian. Don't forget to post pictures when you get it.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #18

Our son has 2012 Jay Feather Ultra Light 17zx that he tows with an Odyssey and has been happy. Him the wife 3 kids & the dog along with bikes, trikes and necessities.

PS: He also lives in D.G. and has traveled as far as Goodfield, and St. Joseph, MI. He did however tow it to D.G. from Cincy as he bought it from the dealer we use.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #19

Grumpy,
Thanks for the encouraging words on the Odyssey. We'll be on the look for the trailer you described. I'll get pictures posted after the weather warms.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #20

Picked up the camper today. A few early observations after the short 25 mile ride to storage area:

1-electric brakes are very effective and feel safe.
2-weight distribution hitch and anti-sway set up is heavy.
3-never exceeded 60 MPH. Felt secure, confident and safe.
4-The 184 weighs a thousand pounds more than the pop up and that, plus wind resistance, is definitely felt by the Odyssey.
5-this camper is much easier to backup vs. the pop up-longer wheel base??
6-family loves the camper and we are trying to find a reason to use it sooner than our first planned trip on Father's Day weekend.

Our planned trips: rock cut state park in IL, Mark Twain State Park in MO, Chain O Lakes State Park in IL and Door County Wisconsin-aqualand private campground. Peninsula State park was first choice, but impossible to reserve.

Can't wait for the good times to start.