Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #1

Pulling X19H with 2000 Blazer

Our 2000 Blazer has the tow package and is rated to pull 5600 lbs. It has the factory tranny cooler, but we have been told that cooler is not sufficient for heavy pulling.

Can we add on an external tranny cooler, even though we have the factory cooler?

Anyone have experience with a Blazer as a TV ??
Rick in CG,MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #2

I'm guessing that you have the 4.3 V6 if your tow rating is 5600lbs. That is a great motor and you shouldn't have any problems pulling that trailer.

For the tranny cooler, you need to check and see if the 'factory' cooler is an auxiliary cooler, or if it is just the cooler that runs through the radiator. If it is auxiliary, you shouldn't need to add another one (although you could replace it with a bigger one). If it is the cooler that runs through the radiator, you can easily add an auxiliary cooler for less than $100.

Jayco lists the dry weight of your trailer at ~3600lbs, so that leaves you a good amount of wiggle room. Just make sure that your tongue weight is in check and your trailer brakes work, and you should be good to go!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in CG,MN View Post
Our 2000 Blazer has the tow package and is rated to pull 5600 lbs......
Rick,

Just a couple of things to keep in mind. The 5,600lb tow rating is based on the "curb weight" of the base model Blazer which includes a 150lb driver and a full tank of gas. You have to subtract the combined weight your Blazers options, passengers, and cargo from the 5,600lbs to get your "REAL" tow rating.

As mentioned, the X19H has a "unloaded" weight (not ship weight) of about 3,600lbs (GVWR of 4,950), so with the Blazer's initial 5,600lb tow rating decreasing, and the "unloaded" weight of the X19H increasing, IMO the Blazer will be fast approaching its weight limits.

Not to say the Blazer can't tow the X19H and stay within it's weight limits, it all depends on "your" loading habits.

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #4

Local transmission shop said it was almost impossible to add the extra tranny cooler to our Blazer...they could do it for maybe $500 to $600 ...??? Don't want to spend that much. We'll try someone else...
Old 08-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in CG,MN View Post
Our 2000 Blazer has the tow package and is rated to pull 5600 lbs. It has the factory tranny cooler, but we have been told that cooler is not sufficient for heavy pulling.

Can we add on an external tranny cooler, even though we have the factory cooler?

Anyone have experience with a Blazer as a TV ??
Hi Rick - I have a 2008 19H (same trailer model as the X19, they just changed the model name).

I originally towed it with a 1998 GMC Jimmy, with the 4.3L V6 rated for what I believe was around 5000 lbs. I had an after market cooler installed, as recommended by my mechanic. I think you'd want to go on the safe side and have one installed as well.

PS. The Jimmy towed it OK (just OK). We live in Manitoba and have a few less hills than you in MN, so we managed fine. The Jimmy got totalled and I picked up a 2003 4Runner V8 (4.7L), and it is a world of difference towing. We have no fear of travelling now :-)
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote