Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
Ok, still doing reaseach, and now I am a bit confused....I looked up my axle code and it is B6 3.73 limited slip (F-150, F-250), which means my truck is a 7700 payload group -- I am confused exactly how much I can tow now, because with that info, the specs say I can have a trailer towing of 8,200? and my GCWR is 13,500.
Maybe someone who understand vehicle ratings more can help me figure this out?? here is the link that has specs for 2003 ford f-150's

I think I have already given all other identifiable info... my axle code is B6 on the sticker on the driver side door. I know from what I see in specs that means I am a 7700 payload group, but I really don't understand now how much I can tow....if this changes this (it changes it for the other models -- they can tow more). But it doesn't show any tow weights for a supercrew with this ratio.

DancinCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
Don't go by dry weight when shopping for a trailer. ALWAYS go by GVWR of the trailer because that is how much the trailer CAN weigh. Dry weight is how much the trailer weighs when it leaves the factory. It does not include LP gas, battery, clothes, pots, pans, plates, food etc. Nobody tows an empty trailer. If you have a trailer with a dry weight of 5900# and a tow vehicle with a tow limit of 6500#, it looks like (by the numbers) that it will work. HOWEVER, if the TT has a GVWR of 7000#, once loaded it will be over the tow limit. These are just numbers that I threw out here to give you an idea. I have had MANY arguments with RV salespeople about this. The most recent was a month ago at an RV show. Most if not all the trailers had the dry weight listed on them.

Now to your situation. Is your truck capable? Yes. However, the GVWR of the TT you're eyeing is 8400# according to Jayco's website. You have just over 2400# of cargo carrying capacity in the trailer. I doubt anybody loads 2400# of stuff in their TT's unless they're full timing. So, if you load conservatively, it can be done just know that you are at the limit. Make sure you have a really good WD hitch. I recommend the Reese Dual Cam set up. You can probably get away with using the 800# bars, however, if you step up to the 1200# bars, you will have room for a larger TT later without having to buy a new hitch.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much. If you need clarification on anything, let me know.

Good luck,

Dave and Amy
5 kids...2 with 2 legs, 3 with 4 legs
2008 Jayco Jay Flight G2 29FBS "No Worries"...traded in on a...
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by DancinCowgirl View Post
snip....... but I am going crazy trying to figure out if I would be ok with my choice (I am concerned with weight)..... snip
The weights as I see them:

Your 2003 Ford F-150:
GVWR: 6,750lbs
Curb Weight (base vehicle, full fluids, 150lb driver.., not Total Weight): 5,110lbs
Payload (based on Curb Weight): 1,640lbs
Published Tow Rating: ?? (NOTE: Published tow rating isn't actual: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating)

IMO to reduce guess work, take your F-150 to a CAT scale under loaded conditions (fuel full, passengers, cargo, etc.) and weigh it. The CAT scale will provide you with your F-150's Gross Weight under loaded conditions. Then .........,

(F-150 GVWR of 6,750lbs) - (CAT Scale F-150 "Gross Weight") = Weight remaining for: TT loaded tongue weight, WDH weight, and any other weight not accounted for at the CAT scale.

2013 Jay Flight 26RKS:
GVWR: 8,400lbs
UVW : 5,970lbs
Ship Weight (yellow sticker): 6,200lbs ??? (I think it may be heavier)

Example, family of four, of moderate loaded 26RKS: (Ship Weight @ 6,200lbs) + (RV Dealer battery, WDH, etc. @ 125lbs) + (TT cargo, no fluids @ 800lbs) = 7,125lbs Loaded TT Weight

Tongue Weight @ 13% to 15% for 29ft. TT: (13% to 15% of 7,125lbs) = 926lb - 1,069lb Loaded Tongue Weight range

Depending on your personal loading habits your actual weights may differ.

Knowing your CAT scale results will bring confidence to your TT selection.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS
Reese HP Dual Cam
Putnam Class V
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote