Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #1

RAM 3500 6.4L Hemi ???

Hi folks,

I'm curious if there are any RAM owners with the 6.4L Hemi and what they're towing with this gas beast.

Also, would appreciate their feedback on how well it does the job and if they'd buy it again. I see from the online specs that a 3500 RAM SRW properly outfitted with the 6.4 is rated for nearly 16,000 lbs pulling which is awfully close to some diesels.

1) what do you tow?
2) how does it perform?

Thanks in advance if any owners respond!
Old 10-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #2

There are a couple other discussions on the forum about the Ram 6.4 gasser. Have you tried a search? There aren't A LOT of discussions, but it has been brought up on the forums before, especially when they first came out.

Anyway, I tow with one, and I like it. Mine is a 3/4T though, not the 1T. I wasn't really interested in the 3500 when I was looking. One reason is that I could only find it with a long box, and that wouldn't fit in my garage. Also, for my situation, the 2500 has more than enough capacity for what I'm doing and what I plan to do.

Would I buy it again? Probably. It wouldn't be automatic; I would still shop other trucks. I would get the 4.10 rear end instead of the 3.73. One of my primary considerations was what I could get for the money. My truck is a "Tradesman", so it's the "work truck". It's comparably light on options, but still has more tech and creature comforts than my '12 GMC SLE.

I'm towing a 2014 28BHBE, and this truck is a good match for my trailer and my situation IMO. It's not for everyone, but it's just right for me. I have over 3K of payload capacity which is more than I'll ever need. I have over 12K towing capacity, which is also more than I'll ever need. I got mine with 4wd which is great for the nasty roads out at the deer lease. And with the payload capacity, I have no problem hauling a 250 gal water tote up those goat trails in the bed of the truck.

As far as towing the trailer, the truck does a fine job. I've never had any problems and it tows solid. It's no diesel, of course, but it gets the job done easily and without a lot of stress on the equipment or driver. Mileage is about on par while towing; 8-10 mpg towing my trailer at around 8k and around 12-15 in the city and a bit higher out on the highway if I can keep my speed reasonable. The loaded ride is reasonable, and the unloaded ride is fine for me (DW says it rides like a bathtub on casters, but then her Acadia eats up the roughest roads with ease, so she's just spoiled).

It's a comfortable truck that has done all I've ever asked of it and more.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:43 PM   #3

Thanks Bob for the very thorough response! I will also search for more threads as you've suggested.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:04 PM   #4

If you are going to buy a 3500 get the diesel. Tows more, tows better. I can't imaging hauling my 40 footer in the mountains with a gas motor screaming at me all the way to the top. I also can't imagine going downhill in the mountains without the exhaust brake.

That being said at least you are asking about RAM trucks. I think there is hope....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:08 PM   #5

I have the 2500 with the 6.4, tow a 29BHDS with it (around 8500lbs dry). Previously towed with a F150 Ecoboost, which was over payload and RAWR when towing slightly.

The 6.4 tows it well, I have towed it full wet and dry, I cant tell a difference at all.

Power wise, going up hill on cruise, it will drop about 5MPH before downshifting which is a little annoying, but if you put your foot in it, I have not had any circumstances where it would not have enough power. I towed it about 5000 miles this summer, including over the eastern mountain ranges in Tennessee and in mountain areas in northern Arkansas. My previous experience with the ford ecoboost (twin turbo), it did have a little more power without downshifting so much and the cruise held better, but again, this one has the power it needs if you let it down shift like it needs to.

I average around 8MPG towing. For me in the midwest, Unleaded is so much cheaper than diesel ($.25/gallon this evening I noticed), I just couldn't justify the extra expense of the CTD, especially since its my daily driver. Normal driving I am around 14MPG.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #6

I have the truck you are looking at in my sig. I have over 37k miles on it and have taken it and our fiver to the MI UP, Montrose, CO and Glacier NP among other places. I did not want a diesel for various reasons. There were a few mt passes where a diesel would of been preferred, but not enough to change my mind. If I lived in the mountains, different story.

My only issues:
1. I've installed an aftermarket brake controller to replace the integrated one. Not happy with integrated stopping power at lower speeds. You can search the ram forums on this issue with the 2015s.
2. I had to loosen the bolts on one of the pucks in the bed to get hitch picture frame adapter to drop in. I absolutely love the slider hitch that I have.
3. I do not like the fold down floor that Ram has in their crew cab with the seats folded up. We travel with two large dogs and it makes it that much higher for them to jump into cab. I prefer the level floor like the Fords.

Otherwise, I am happy with truck.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:01 AM   #7

My '16 1/2 ton 5.7 hemi 8spd a/t
Towing 29RKS weighed in at 8000#.
No issues towing up 8-9% grades. Even accelerated to 75 mph to pass Fords and Chevys
Attached Thumbnails
tv1.jpg   tv2.jpg  
owtdorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #8

Look over at the Ram forums for more info. My friend has a 2500 with the 6.4 and the 3.73 gears. He wishes he had the 4.10 gears though. He tows about a 10K lbs 5th wheel and it tows just fine. He is a little annoyed with the gearing, pulling up hills usually drops him into 2nd gear and then higher RPM's. I think the 4.10 gears would likely solve those problems for him.

Other than that he loves the truck. The 6.4 is smooth and quiet and produces a lot of power.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #9

Thanks Yellowdog, your truck is the set up I'm interested in. We'd also be looking at a North Point or Eagle fiver so I appreciate that you're using your truck to pull a big trailer. Almost all our towing would be over relatively flat terrain and most trips under 200 miles. Otherwise the truck would be used by the DW around town as hers.

Tags
3500, 6.4, hemi, ram