Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #1

Reese dual cam sway control

I have to get a WD hitch for the camper. I had an older style Reese dual cam on my Wilderness XT-1 and was happy with it. I like the Reese straight line dual cam which is really an update of what I had. Any opinions or other options ? I have listed the Reese because that is what I'm familiar with. Thanks
Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #2

I would recommend the Equal-i-zer WDH. It is the best WDH on the market. etrailer.com has them cheaper than anywhere I've seen.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/
Drolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:30 AM   #3

I have the reese strait line for my setup. For some reason I never really had a great seat of the pants feeling about the hitch. I am a little more twitchy than most people about sway from some previous bad experiences with equipment trailers. I have heard from a lot of people that it is a great hitch and did a lot of research before I bought it.

This year I upgraded to a propride 3p. Completely different towing experience! It doesn't sway and it tracks perfectly. I can drive with one hand while a truck is passing and nothing happens behind me. If I had to do it again I would not be so cheap and bought the propride. Granted it cost me more this way to but 2 hitches. Now I have a reese with about 1k miles on it and no use. After using the propride i won't use the reese again, I can't go back. Im not saying the reese is a bad hitch, I just never had a fully in control feeling about it. There were times the trailer was less noticeable so it wasn't all bad. And yes before everyone jumps on me it was setup properly, as I've said before I'm very twitchy about sway. Its hard to explain if you haven't used one of the fancy hitches, propride or Hensley. To everyone who hasn't used one, and doesn't want to spend the money, the reese is a great hitch.
tigger1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #4

Jay,

As tigger mentioned, the ProPride (and Hensley Arrow) are the top wdh systems, but at a premium price.

The next level of systems at a more reasonable price is the Reese DC, the Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system. I have been reading very good reviews of the Husky Centerline system, and the Recurve R6 as well.

The one thing you need to make sure if with the new style DC is that the cam arm brackets are mounted properly. Here is an extensive thread regarding the issue and proper mounting over on RV.Net forums. Unfortunately some of the pics no longer show up though.

I have been happy with my DC, but did have this bracket issue due to the dealer not mounting them correctly. I actually found an old style model (u bolt like you had) that was still brand new in the box and that is what I am running now with the new style wd bars.

The Reese SC and 4 way system are very similar. A couple advantages the SC system has over the 4 way is the hitch head is able to be adjusted more, allowing a more finely tuned in tt if needed. Look at a pic of the hitch head and you will see the fine teeth on the side of the hitch head. Also, the wd bars can be replaced if you change trailers, where with the Equal-I-Zer system you can't swap out just the wd bars. BUT the Equal-I-Zer system is made in the U.S.

I have never owned the CL or R6 systems, but a buddy recently got the CL model and it seems to be a good hitch. One complaint I did read of the top model CL is that you need to be in almost a straigh line to hook and unhook the wd bars. And it's heavy!!! �� But what wdh is light besides the Anderson system. The R6 also seems to be a good system, but I haven't read as many having it as the CL.

Just make sure to choose the correct rated wd bars for your loaded tw, and if you need a refresher on how to adjust the wdh, follow my signature links for a how to.

Good luck shopping!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #5

I have had two different TV for my trailer and have used the same RESSE DC hitch for both. It took a bit to tweek it in for both vehicles and I have been very happy since.

I have the 2nd gen(?) cam setup. The cams are gold in color and bolt (vice clamp) to the frame. The original installer at the dealership was a competent mechanic, but in hindsight, wasn't experienced with installing these cams. One side is mounted 1" further back than the other. This hasn't caused any issues in 9 years I have owned my trailer, but my OCD says I could have done better and made them even.

because the Jayco aframe tongue is rather thin metal, overtime the cam bracket bolts came loose and egged out the holes. I fixed the problem by adding two additional bolts to each bracket.

the other issue I had is with the Reese hitch head. The raised hole for the hitch ball wasn't high enough to allow my trunion bars to clear the shank of the hitchball. As a result, one of the trunion bar sockets ripped out of the hitch head, which also caused a cam bar to bend. Reese sent a new model hitch head, and replaced the cam bar - no questions asked.

Reese also redesigned their cam bars and brackets to solve issues not related to my TV (newest design is silver). Since I didn't want to drill new holes in my frame, I kept the gold cam bars.

I initially towed the trailer home in 2008 behind a 3/4t suburban without the cam bars (back ordered). I felt the trailer sway at every semi that passed. After the cam bars were installed, I have noticed zero sway.

I upgraded to a 2010 Ram 2500 and had to get a longer drop hitch, but kept the same hitch head, cams and WD bars. Like I said, it took a bit to tweek the hitch in, and I have loved the towing experience since.

follow the Reese instructions and all youtube videos on how to dial in this hitch and you will be happy.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote