Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #1

Reese revolution compatibility

Hello, I am a new member. I just paid a deposit on my first 5er today. It is the Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS. It came with a Reese Revolution, which I understand to be the OEM of the Sidewinder. I have a 2015 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax with 6'6" bed for a TV. It has no hitch or rails. I would like to buy a hitch with air bags (excuse my ignorance if my terminology is incorrect...this is all very new to me). Do any of you have experience with which "air hitches" might be compatible with the Revolution?
I would appreciate any input you can offer.
Phil
Rhizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #2

The cheapest way is to replace the fifth wheel king pin part on the trailer with a air bag setup.
Something like like this. There are several models to chose from out there.
http://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-...35-946203.html
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
The cheapest way is to replace the fifth wheel king pin part on the trailer with a air bag setup.
Something like like this. There are several models to chose from out there.
http://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-...35-946203.html
Thanks Texashighsheriff. But if I did that I would have to buy both the hitch pin and the hitch, since I have no hitch. Would that not cost more than just an air hitch? Plus, the Revolution is a desirable hitch pin to me because it is a sidewinder and works in my short bed. Help me understand if my thinking is wrong...again. Thanks for taking time to help out a newbie.
Phil
Old 11-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #4

you dont really need the revolution for a 6.5 ft box, (5.5 yes) but the plus side is you wont need a sliding hitch so you can buy just a cheap Pro series hitch and save some money, and honestly tow it first before buying a special hitch you may not need it, i have towed alot of different 5th's with differnt pins and hitches and never really made much difference
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #5

Here's a discussion about fifth wheel hitches in short bed pickups. Varying opinions are discussed in that thread about the need or lack thereof for a slider hitch in a short bed pickup
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #6

The Revolution takes the same wedges as the Sidewinder as well as the standard "universal" wedge which comes with the unit. Check with Reese to see if there's any special wedges which they have which work with the air ride hitches. If not, then I would take the universal wedge with you when hitch shopping to be sure that it fits snugly.

I have the revolution, but have a standard husky hitch. I tried to get the specialized wedge for it but it didn't work on my hitch which is why I mentioned to bring the wedge with you.

Of course you "can" lock the revolution so it pivots at the pin, but then you will likely want a sliding hitch.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #7

Thank you to all of you who took time to offer your experience to someone who has none with this 5er.

Throughout this "many houred" research my indecision has been between an air pin box and an air hitch. I had settled in my mind that I wanted one or the other. That decision was sort of settled for me because my Eagle comes with a box that I already wanted...the Revolution (Sidewinder). So that left me in the market for an air ride hitch. I do not really want to buy a basic hitch to see if it is ok and then have to buy another if I don't like it. I know they are pricey, but I have decided to get the Trailersaver BD3. That way I will know that I have done almost all I could have done to make the ride as smooth as possible. For me the "getting there" is only a little less important than the "being there". I read every comment I could find and it was rare to hear anyone say anything other than, "It was worth every penny". I just wish that the cost was a few less of those pennies.
And special thanks to nylyon for the info about the wedges. I can't actually take one with me to shop because I don't think you can "shop" for a TS. I think you order them from the factory. But it will be something that I will want to be sure and bring up when I call them about the BD3. If they don't have them, hopefully they can at least steer me toward the right one with a part number or something.
Thanks again to all.
Phil
Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #8

We put Firestone air ride springs(air bags) on the truck instead of the pinbox along with the Moreryde pinbox. Also opted for an on board compressor that allows me to move the box up or down to hitch or unhitch. The truck hitch is a Reese 16K with a manual slider.
As it was explained to me by a friend that hauls heavy equipment on a pull behind trailer with a goose neck, now you have 2 air bags instead of 1.
It has made a large difference in the ride.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote