Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #1

Reese Straight-Line WD hitch

I have searched the forums and can't seem to find an answer to this one. I purchased a Reese Straight-Line WD hitch in February and have it installed on our 27BHS. While working on adjusting it, etc, I am being lead to believe I received old stock when I ordered it.

One of the items specifically are the plates that attach to the cam arms that the chains attach to (tear drop shaped). The ones I have are completely flat where as I have been told Reese change this some time ago so they have a slight bend in them. Does anyone know when this changed and if in fact the ones I have are older stock? My understanding is they also made some slight changes at the same time to the cam hanger brackets (which I am having some minor problems with).

Any help is appreciated. I have attached a photo of the item in question...
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0976.jpg  
Mike09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Mike09,

Welcome to JOF

Your correct, your flat chain brackets are an older version but still very functional (same as mine, 10 years old)...... they came in a gold and silver finish (mine are gold). Most important about the Reese Dual Cam (Strait- Line) chain brackets is to insure they are attached to the cam arm properly....., your "flat" chain brackets are attached correctly (U-bolt threads facing "outward").

If your flat chain brackets were mounted with U-bolt threads facing 'inward' the chain would have a tendency to pull the snap-up bracket outward (away) from the TT's A-frame. With the U-bolt threads facing outward the chain should hang straight down from the "engaged" snap-up bracket.

Your also correct that the newer Reese Dual Cam (Strait Line) versions the chain bracket has a slight bend at the top...., in this case the U-bolt threads should be facing "inward".

Here's an older JOF thread that shows the two different style chain brackets and proper attachment:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...-up-30652.html

If you have any specific product questions (cam hanger brackets, etc.), call Reese (Cequent) directly...., their tech support has been pretty good in the past:

1-800-632-3290 or 1-888-521-0510

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I contacted e-trailer which is where I got it from and they contacted Reese. I guess Reese has switched back and forth between the plates and there is no issue. With regards to the spring bar not sitting flat they have looked at it and advise it is within the specs. They have also sent me an email of such for warranty purposes should I have any problems. All seems good.
Mike09 is offline   Reply With Quote