Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #1

Reese Trunnion WD w/ friction sway control...BUYER BEWARE

After a lot of research I ended up ordering a Reese 1500lbs WD system with the integrated friction sway control (wanted the dual cam but couldn't find anyone local that carried it) for my Jay Flight 32BHDS. Long story short...this WD system will not work with this TT (and others I suspect) since the trailer's hitch coupler is mounted beneath the frame rather than on top of the frame. After a call to Reese, they even said if you have an inverted hitch coupler, this WD system will not work . Thought I would share this important info so it might save someone else $750...unlike myself lol...

This is not my picture but you can see if you had a TT with the hitch coupler that mounts to the bottom of the frame, and without dropping the friction brackets the same distance, how this WD will not work. Even with the WD hitch head tilted as far forward as possible, the bars were approx 6-7 inches too low (ideal is 2-3" below brackets and that is with the brackets in the lowest position, too).
ajb1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I was a little confused initially when referencing your posted photo, because I was looking for your bottom mount ball coupler. It's obvious the photo is of someone else's top mount ball coupler with the Reese SC WDH.

Not all WDH's mount to all TV/TT combinations "out-of-the-box". Even in the photo you posted it appears that a raised hitch ball was incorporated to meet Reese's initial set-up dimension of 2"-3" between the top of the friction pad and bottom of the spring bar, as well as component clearances.

I also agree that it appears the Reese SC WDH will not work with bottom mount ball couplers, which a number of RV manufactures (not just Jayco) provide on many TT models. Reese may want to consider supplying an extended frame bracket for bottom mount TT ball coupler applications with the kit.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:55 AM   #3

Sorry Bob, I should have been a bit clearer in my explanation. Yes, the above picture is just for reference to what the WD system looks like and is not a picture of my actual setup. It is unfortunate...seems like a very solid setup. I had briefly considered getting different frame brackets fabbed (I run a welding/fab shop) to drop the brackets to makeup for the difference but I am a little hesitant. If I cannot return it, I will just try selling it online. Lesson learned.
ajb1205 is offline   Reply With Quote