Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

running lights

I have a 2007 27bh jay flight I am pulling it with my 2006 Lincoln Mark I noticed my running lights arent working. I have break lights and blinkers on it. I looked at the fuses I could all looks good. I have seen in some forums that I could need another relay under my hood but when I went to buy it the guy said it was the trailer wiring my be off ? He wouldnt sell it too me.. has anyone got any idea what he means the tow package is stock on my truck. When we plugged into a friends chevy he had all running lights and not brake or blinkers ??
trailermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #2

Did you try jiggling / twisting the plug in the port on your truck? I had a camper where the electrical connections in the plug had corroded. Jiggling in the port, I could see the lights go on and off, which confirmed for me it was corrosion. I got some electrical contact cleaner and went to work on the plug, cleaned off the corrosion and it was good as new.

btw....I'm assuming the camper was on the hitch ball when you were testing.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #3

Not sure on your truck but on my Dodge they have the 7 way plug in the bumper and a 4 flat tucked up BEHIND the bumper where it corrodes and grounds out on itself. I had a similar problem to what you are saying and found this.....
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #4

Clean the plug in on both the truck and trailer. Make sure the ground is making a good connection. If your TV came with the seven pin plug it is most likely correct and unless someone has messed with the wiring on the trailer it should also be correct. With a jumper wire and a test light you can verify the truck and with a jumper wire on the trailer battery you could check the trailer plug.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #5

Don't forget to use electrical grease on the contacts when you are finished. Larry
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #6

I always spray wd40 into my 7-way trailer connector before hooking up. Then wiggle the plug around for a few seconds then lock in place.

Usually if some of the trailer lights are working and others not it turns out to be a dirty connection.

I think I read in my 2010 Ford book that all of the lines feeding the trailer connector are separately fused. I never confirmed that.

The RELAY AND FUSE you was referring to is for sending 12VDC Charge voltage back to the trailer. Should not have anything to do with the regular lights.

Kinda important that you have a good trailer connection in case your trailer is equipped with electric brakes. It is very important for those to be working properly. It is also a DOT LAW that they are working as well...

I picked up one of these 7-way trailer connector adapter plug to test my connection. I got mine from AMAZON or maybe it was ETRAILER. I have seen them in auto parts stores.

Very useful to have in your RV TOOL BOX. If all the small leds work properly when you activate the trailer lights then the problem you are having with your trailer lights is on the trailer side of things...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

running lights

If you have a factory 7pin my money is on a bad ground.

Check the pin on the Bergman for voltage. If there is. It's the trailer. If not its the truck.

Those testers take all the guess out of it.
Ecfeick is offline   Reply With Quote