Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Actually, I think I would rather share the road with a slow moving overloaded TT/TV than these guys in the HD pickups running 75+MPH, swerving all over the road and running way faster than their China bomb TT tires can handle. I find the latter WAY more cringe worthy and am glad when they have disappeared over the horizon without killing themselves, us, or their fellow motorists.
Neither one of them should be on the road.

Slow moving vehicles are just as dangerous on the highways as an idiot running 75-80mph.

Keep your eyes on your mirrors and stay out of there way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jwayne.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	32009
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #42

I know that some states are more liberal - in California the speed limit is 55 mph when towing.

The slower, the more stable the TT/TV combo is, regardless of mfg specs. I never tow faster than 60 mph and my only problem are morons who do not know how to merge the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Neither one of them should be on the road.

Slow moving vehicles are just as dangerous on the highways as an idiot running 75-80mph.

Keep your eyes on your mirrors and stay out of there way.

Attachment 32009
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #43

Here is the Mad Max vehicle

Owner nickname andreasduess on airstream forum. Still there, still towing the trailer, however, I think he switched to Durango.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
(...)
I can't imagine a minivan towing a 34 ft. airstream safely. I would think it would look like something out of a Mad Max movie.

(...)
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I know that some states are more liberal - in California the speed limit is 55 mph when towing.

The slower, the more stable the TT/TV combo is, regardless of mfg specs. I never tow faster than 60 mph and my only problem are morons who do not know how to merge the highway.
10-4 I'm talking about those driving 10-20 mph below the speed limit in a lane they shouldn't be in.

Very dangerous and sometimes they are oblivious to what they are doing.

I don't go over 65 mph(TT tire rating) and obviously traffic and weather conditions determine my speed also.

I'll get there eventually, safely.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Here is the Mad Max vehicle

Owner nickname andreasduess on airstream forum. Still there, still towing the trailer, however, I think he switched to Durango.
I wish that was photo shopped and not the real thing. Top speed up a hill or mountain pass? 10-15 mph?
Old 06-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #46

Another fun and explosive thread. I am sure many of us have seen our fair share of head shaking combinations. So many factors at play here, and one of the biggest is the human pride against negativity factor. Nobody likes being told and worse yet having to admit they have a bad trailer and tow vehicle combination. Face it, who wants to swallow their pride. Sometimes I enjoy the reaction when I see people confronted with facts they do not want to believe (you know the red face, vein popping out on their forehead). I especially love the people out there who will argue their specs and weights and try to prove how there "Ferd F-Teenthousand, with is 20 cylinder 10.7 liter cumon turdo eco destroyer diesel motor puts out 8000HP and the McAllister 25 speed super turbo cool transmission mated to the don henley quantum arrow mach 15 weight distribution and anti sway hitch makes their connection so stable that they have no idea the trailer is back there, and whenever the trailer thinks about swaying, the highway moves instead. All so they can avoid the argument and fact that even though the weights are under spec, it is still all too common to have a trailer which is just too big mass wise, length wise, and wheel base wise being towed by a vehicle which has too soft of a suspension and is too small mass wise to overcome the very real laws of physics and the fulcrum effect.
I will even admit to having overloaded/overtaxed my truck once when I cut and stacked a cord of wood in the bed of my truck on a weekend trip and then hooked up the old trailer and towed almost 200 miles home, with the suspension sitting on the bumper stops, white knuckle all the way. This is probably an idea for a good thread question: What's the worst combination members have towed?
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
"Ferd F-Teenthousand, with is 20 cylinder 10.7 liter cumon turdo eco destroyer diesel motor puts out 8000HP and the McAllister 25 speed super turbo cool transmission mated to the don henley quantum arrow mach 15 weight distribution and anti sway hitch makes their connection so stable that they have no idea the trailer is back there, and whenever the trailer thinks about swaying, the highway moves instead.
Hahahahahaha !!!! I love it !!!!

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #48

HEY! I gots one of them there pick 'em up trucks!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Another fun and explosive thread. I am sure many of us have seen our fair share of head shaking combinations. So many factors at play here, and one of the biggest is the human pride against negativity factor. Nobody likes being told and worse yet having to admit they have a bad trailer and tow vehicle combination. Face it, who wants to swallow their pride. Sometimes I enjoy the reaction when I see people confronted with facts they do not want to believe (you know the red face, vein popping out on their forehead). I especially love the people out there who will argue their specs and weights and try to prove how there "Ferd F-Teenthousand, with is 20 cylinder 10.7 liter cumon turdo eco destroyer diesel motor puts out 8000HP and the McAllister 25 speed super turbo cool transmission mated to the don henley quantum arrow mach 15 weight distribution and anti sway hitch makes their connection so stable that they have no idea the trailer is back there, and whenever the trailer thinks about swaying, the highway moves instead. All so they can avoid the argument and fact that even though the weights are under spec, it is still all too common to have a trailer which is just too big mass wise, length wise, and wheel base wise being towed by a vehicle which has too soft of a suspension and is too small mass wise to overcome the very real laws of physics and the fulcrum effect.
I will even admit to having overloaded/overtaxed my truck once when I cut and stacked a cord of wood in the bed of my truck on a weekend trip and then hooked up the old trailer and towed almost 200 miles home, with the suspension sitting on the bumper stops, white knuckle all the way. This is probably an idea for a good thread question: What's the worst combination members have towed?

Best post I've read in a long time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #50

I'm one of those big truck owners everybody seems to enjoy talking down about.

I drive 65 MPH max (when conditions allows), went from the factory load range P tires to 8-ply D Maxxis tires and we're at 55% of GCWR with a fully loaded TT.

Our tongue weight is 430 lbs and we use a WD hitch with sway control. The TV is rated for a max of 1,500 lb TW with or without WD hitch.

And our little Duramax chugs along at 1,500 rpm down the interstate running 65 MPH while on cruise control averaging 15+ mpg in hilly terrain......and never downshifts out of 6th gear while not using T/H mode.

And I wouldn't trade it for 14 minivans and 12 SUV's .....and nobody will convince me otherwise

But I also realize that things can go south very quickly while towing or not and take my obligation to keep my family and every other family around us safe very seriously. A big truck doesn't make you bullet proof, but I think it can make things a little safer. Nobody is immune to disaster, everyone should mitigate it as best as they can.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #51

Live and let live.

No one in this thread is advocating anything illegal or dangerous . It started as an observation and morphed into an argument. De-puff your chests and realize that there's different strokes for different folks, and it all depends on tv, tt, experience, confidence, weather, road conditions, geographic region, and a myriad of other factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:38 PM   #52

When we bought our Jay Feather EXP a few weeks ago, the plan was to tow it with both my 2010 GMC Canyon and my wife's 2011 GMC Acadia as it was about 1,200 lbs under the tow rating of either. The WD hitch we bought meant it was now 1,700 lbs under the tow rating.

However.....just towing the TT home from the dealership with the 5.3L V8 powered Canyon, I knew right away that I had no desire to tow it with the Acadia.....and I started having questions about towing it with the Canyon because of the limited space and payload with a family of 5.

So we decided to buy this:

2010 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4WD. The Michelin tires it came with were expensive and very nice....but they did not have a load range I was comfortable towing with so I upgraded:

These are BFG All Terrain KO2's in load range E. They are the same tires I have been running on the Canyon for over a year and have been very pleased with them. They ride well on the highway but also do well off-road if I should find myself off the pavement. The Suburban's tow capacity is about 3,000 lbs over the dry weight of the TT. The longer wheelbase and additional weight of the Suburban should also improve the towing experience. First camping trip with this tow vehicle is coming up this next weekend.
10canyon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #53

What a hot subject here.... the folks that tow to the max limits of a Yugo vs the Guys with the Mack truck and the 10' Casita.

Love this forum. All too often across the board, too many folks push the limits, not just with their tow vehicles but in so many other areas.

Loved my combo with my Unibody Jeep Grand Cherokee and love the extra space of my F150. However, with everything there is a trade off. I will miss scooting my jeep down a narrow trail.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:01 PM   #54

Truth is I am pretty sure none of us here are quite this bad...
(Found the following on a quick Google search.... Ironically it was posted in another thread on the same topic.)

The worst part is.... I swear I have seen stuff like this kind of 'Support' added to vehicles.

Keep it all safe guys :-)

2016 Jayco Jay Series Hardwall 12BSB
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade
BC Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:47 AM   #55

Starting on Memorial day weekend and throughout the summer and fall I see hundreds of boats and campers heading to the multiple state parks along the lake ontario shoreline. It truely is a site to see all the overloaded rigs passing by the house. I sit in a lawn chair with a beer watching axles snap, transmissions overheat, connecting rods blowing out the side of engine blocks and my personal favorite the overheating brake guy who can't stop to avoid hitting all the broken parts left behind from all the overloaded TV's. I hand out business cards for my buddies towing company and my Nieces card so she can sell them 3/4 ton Diesels. 😆

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
doo800XRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo800XRS View Post
Starting on Memorial day weekend and throughout the summer and fall I see hundreds of boats and campers heading to the multiple state parks along the lake ontario shoreline. It truely is a site to see all the overloaded rigs passing by the house. I sit in a lawn chair with a beer watching axles snap, transmissions overheat, connecting rods blowing out the side of engine blocks and my personal favorite the overheating brake guy who can't stop to avoid hitting all the broken parts left behind from all the overloaded TV's. I hand out business cards for my buddies towing company and my Nieces card so she can sell them 3/4 ton Diesels. 😆

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
You forgot to add the stop sticks you throw out once in a while when the watching gets boring.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote