Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Setting up the Equal-i-zer

Okay. I am in the process of setting up my Equal-i-zer hitch for my new truck. I have read the owners manual enough to know exactly what I should be doing to set it up properly, but I still have a few questions that some of you more experienced folk may know the answers to. The hitch is the 10K model, and the trailer is a 2016 28BHBE.

First off, in your opinion is this hitch undersized for the trailer? I have not got anything weighed yet, but I am pretty dang certain the tongue weight has to be at least very close to the 1000 pound max load when loaded up for a trip, if not over it. I am kind of PO'd that I even let our dealer sell me this hitch, but I was completely naive at the time and just put my trust in them.

Secondly, the example in the setup procedure (in owners manual) shows a difference of 2" between the front ride height with no trailer and ride height with trailer with no weight distribution. That would be a much easier number to work with than the height difference of roughly barely 9/16" that I am dealing with. That means I am almost dealing with 1/16's of an inch - just wiggling the truck a few times can change the number by that much or more. Anybody else have a minimal rise in front height like this?

Also, with the current setup of 6 washers I am noticing a visible arch in the weight distribution bars when hitched up to the trailer. It is not a large arch by any means, but enough of one that it is visible to the eye. Is this normal? I never noticed it before when it had 5 washers in it for my wife's rig. Seeing a solid piece of square tubing bow like that kind of scares me... almost like it is undersized...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this and give me any input you may have. It is very much appreciated.

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:58 AM   #2

I just set mine up yesterday on our new to us trailer. I've had the hitch with a different trailer for about 5 years.

It is normal for the bars to have a bend in them when they are loaded. How much is too much? Beats me. They are a spring, so they are designed to flex.

I had a 3/4 rise on my front axle, got 1/2 back and called it good. I'll be checking at a scale this week. IMO, you can get it close with the tape measure, but to really know for sure you need a scale. As you can see, when dealing with 16ths, it gets fuzzy. How it drives is the important thing to me.

Again, the scale will tell the tale on the hitch size. If you can get the numbers where they need to be, then you should be fine.

I had called Equalizer a while ago with a question and they were super helpful. It was obvious I was talking with someone who knew the product well. Might want to take a picture of what you have with the bending bars and see what they think about it.
ExxWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #3

IMO, the 1000/10000 Equal-i-zer is undersized for the BHBE. I tow a '14 BHBE and I have a 10K hitch (different type) and it is definitely over max. This would be okay if I could transfer enough weight, but that's the thing for me, I can't get enough weight to the front axle while keeping all the other specs in line.

Not that I think the dealer deserves to be defended, but in their defense, the 1000/10000 Equal-i-zer would be just about perfect for that trailer empty. Or even based on the yellow sticker. But that trailer has A LOT of CCC, and I think dealers should consider that when they spec a hitch. IME they rarely do though...

VERY good advice above to take it and scale the rig using the 3-pass method. Find out where your weight is and how your setup is working. Also as mentioned previously, measurements will get you close, but the scale will tell you the whole story.

Good luck with your project, and I'm interested to hear how it turns out.

ETA: I think dealer (or purchaser) should spec the hitch based on GVWR. Take the max GVWR times .15 (max suggested tongue weight) and spec the hitch from there. That's what I plan to do on my replacement hitch, and that puts me in the 1400-1500 range.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #4

Thanks for the input fellas.

Its not like the weight distribution bars have a huge arch in them, its just a slight bow. Hardly even noticeable until i sight down them.

Yeah, my next step is getting everything weighed. Then i will fine tune evrything.

But i have a feeling my tongue weight is all of the max rating for the hitch, and possibly more.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #5

I'm also fairly new to using a WD hitch. I have the same issue with the height measurements being off by only a little bit.

When you are saying the scale will tell the tale, do you mean that the front and rear axle weights should be the same with the WD hitch installed?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeras View Post
I'm also fairly new to using a WD hitch. I have the same issue with the height measurements being off by only a little bit.

When you are saying the scale will tell the tale, do you mean that the front and rear axle weights should be the same with the WD hitch installed?

Thanks.
You want the front axle weight to be about the same comparing just the truck and then the truck and trailer with the WD bars attached. Don't make it so the front is heavier than empty.

The rear axle will be carrying a large portion of the tongue weight, so it will be much heavier with the trailer attached.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExxWhy View Post
You want the front axle weight to be about the same comparing just the truck and then the truck and trailer with the WD bars attached. Don't make it so the front is heavier than empty.

The rear axle will be carrying a large portion of the tongue weight, so it will be much heavier with the trailer attached.
Thanks. That makes sense.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
Thanks for the input fellas.

Its not like the weight distribution bars have a huge arch in them, its just a slight bow. Hardly even noticeable until i sight down them.

Yeah, my next step is getting everything weighed. Then i will fine tune evrything.

But i have a feeling my tongue weight is all of the max rating for the hitch, and possibly more.
The Equalizer website has a hitch size estimating tool. Using 8000 as the GVW and 950 as the tongue weight, you are right on the borderline between 10-12K hitches. I don't suppose you can get your dealer to trade you into the 12K?

A slight bow is definitely normal.

Is the trailer level or slightly nose down? That also affects the hitch angles and how much tension is on the bars.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExxWhy View Post
The Equalizer website has a hitch size estimating tool. Using 8000 as the GVW and 950 as the tongue weight, you are right on the borderline between 10-12K hitches. I don't suppose you can get your dealer to trade you into the 12K?

A slight bow is definitely normal.

Is the trailer level or slightly nose down? That also affects the hitch angles and how much tension is on the bars.

Thanks for the info.

I would gladly trade my hitch in for the next size up (or maybe even the 14K), but I have not even talked to them about it yet. Something tells me they wont want to do a trade. I will be getting a hold of them after I have the trailer weighed so I somewhat have a leg to stand on in the argument (if one even occurs).

The trailer is pretty dang level. Slightly nose high by my last few measurements (not quite an inch high), but it is hard to find a completely flat 55 foot long chunk of concrete/asphalt, so the numbers vary slightly. I have one more hole available that I could drop the hitch height, but I think it will be a fuzz low in the front at that point (each hole is 1 1/4" apart).

Old 05-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #10

I picked up the exact same hitch this season and I just set up it up a couple weeks ago too. I had about 7/8" lift on the front axle when the tt was hitched up. After a couple of adjustments with adding washers I was able to get within 3/16" of original ride height.
I also have a slight visible bend in the bars too so I would think that's fairly normal.
I know my tongue weight when fully loaded with fresh water tank full is just shy of 900lbs. I am sure you would be very close to this hitches stated limits with a BHBE.
I've got a pic of the hitch when I was done
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
I picked up the exact same hitch this season and I just set up it up a couple weeks ago too. I had about 7/8" lift on the front axle when the tt was hitched up. After a couple of adjustments with adding washers I was able to get within 3/16" of original ride height.
I also have a slight visible bend in the bars too so I would think that's fairly normal.
I know my tongue weight when fully loaded with fresh water tank full is just shy of 900lbs. I am sure you would be very close to this hitches stated limits with a BHBE.
I've got a pic of the hitch when I was done
Thanks for sharing your experience. Your setup looks good. Have you ever had your setup weighed to see how close you have the front weight back to what it is with an empty truck?

Old 05-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #12

I haven't made it to the scales with this hitch yet. I did get scaled with my previous round bar style hitch, that's how I know my tongue weight. I've got this new hitch set up pretty much to the exact same height measurements as with the previous hitch so I know I have to be close again. Just returned from our first camping trip of the year and the tow was awesome, still can't believe the difference from my old hitch.
I will be heading out near the scales in a couple weeks so I am hoping to stop and get it measured again then.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
I haven't made it to the scales with this hitch yet. I did get scaled with my previous round bar style hitch, that's how I know my tongue weight. I've got this new hitch set up pretty much to the exact same height measurements as with the previous hitch so I know I have to be close again. Just returned from our first camping trip of the year and the tow was awesome, still can't believe the difference from my old hitch.
I will be heading out near the scales in a couple weeks so I am hoping to stop and get it measured again then.

Yeah, a good tow experience is almost better than knowing what the weights are. If it tows wonderfully, it almost doesn't matter how much weight you got back on the front axle

Old 05-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
bap

I pull a 2009 Jayco Jayflight G2 29BHS with a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab. I have the 1000/ 10000 Equalizer hitch and it works fine. I got it so that the front end of the truck is only very slightly higher than the back. I did swap out the rear springs of the truck with a set of Tuff Truck TTC-1223V which adds about 35% more. Unfortunatley for you 2500 Power Wagon has about the same load carrying capacity as a 1/2 ton because the package reduces the load carrying capabitlity. You might want to consider upgrading the rear springs on the truck.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
I pull a 2009 Jayco Jayflight G2 29BHS with a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab. I have the 1000/ 10000 Equalizer hitch and it works fine. I got it so that the front end of the truck is only very slightly higher than the back. I did swap out the rear springs of the truck with a set of Tuff Truck TTC-1223V which adds about 35% more. Unfortunatley for you 2500 Power Wagon has about the same load carrying capacity as a 1/2 ton because the package reduces the load carrying capabitlity. You might want to consider upgrading the rear springs on the truck.

Thanks for the info, although I am well aware of the lack of payload my truck has... I have dreamed and researched about this truck for many many years. The reason for the lack of payload is the softer/taller suspension, which is off road oriented more-so than for work/towing. This thing has less payload than my dads F-150... less than my wifes half ton Yukon. Hell, my work van (Dodge caravan) has almost the same payload. That is fine by me. If I ever have any issues with severe sagging, I will just add bags. The frame/axles/brakes etc. are all still the same heavy duty components found on the "normal" 2500... it just has a softer/taller suspension.

That being said, I have no issues with the rear sagging with this trailer, even without the weight distribution hitch hooked up. I may still add bags in the future, though... haven't used it enough yet to really know.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
Thanks for the info.

I would gladly trade my hitch in for the next size up (or maybe even the 14K), but I have not even talked to them about it yet. Something tells me they wont want to do a trade. I will be getting a hold of them after I have the trailer weighed so I somewhat have a leg to stand on in the argument (if one even occurs).

The trailer is pretty dang level. Slightly nose high by my last few measurements (not quite an inch high), but it is hard to find a completely flat 55 foot long chunk of concrete/asphalt, so the numbers vary slightly. I have one more hole available that I could drop the hitch height, but I think it will be a fuzz low in the front at that point (each hole is 1 1/4" apart).
With a trailer that long, you'd rather be a shade nose down than a shade nose high if there's a choice. That's another aspect of my scenario; I'm on my lowest setting and I can't get my nose low enough for my comfort. Truck is too dang tall!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
With a trailer that long, you'd rather be a shade nose down than a shade nose high if there's a choice. That's another aspect of my scenario; I'm on my lowest setting and I can't get my nose low enough for my comfort. Truck is too dang tall!

And just think, my truck is 2" taller than yours! I cant hardly look into the back of my bed hahahah. What size drop do you have? I still have 1 more hole i can use.

A touch nose down, eh? That would make it better?

Old 05-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #18

A smidge nose down is better than up for stability. You'll need to lower the hangers a notch to keep the same angle on the bars.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #19

Olyelr...

Tagging on to our conversation in your Tow Rig thread, my trip back home on Sunday with my current setup the rig towed really well... I am happy with it. This was our 3rd and longest trip (250 miles round trip) and the first one I was not white knuckling it except during a bad Thunderstorm with lots of wind when we left.

Regarding the bend in the arms... The 12k arms are definetly thicker then the 10k arms so I would not be surprised if you got some bend in them but as others have said that does not mean it is a bad thing but might be best to call Equalizer about that.

I dropped my brackets down to have 1 hole on top as when I had it with 2 holes the bars were bent up pretty good and not parallel to the trailer frame and you could feel it was to tight when towing i.e. too much tension the rear would not flex over bumps or bridges.

If you drop the brackets it will take the bend out of them, if it takes too much add a washer, this makes less radical of an adjustment.

I was fighting to make my setup work with the brackets in the middle but finally dropped them which took too much off for the sway to work like I wanted then added a washer and that is where I am now.

You'll figure it out... It's taken me about 700 miles now to find this setup and get comfortable with it. I also have my Air Bags to work into the equation but I can say I am glad I added them, gives me more adjustment and I feel more stability with such a high 4X4 and high trailer.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #20

This thread is timely. I got my weights this weekend and see where I can put a little more on my front axle. So between reading this and watching the Equalizer video on YouTube, I have a good idea of how to do it. Good stuff here.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote