Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2016, 05:40 PM   #1

Severe Tire Blowout

Has anyone had an experience like this....We are driving along towing our x23b , when the left rear tire blows, tearing it to shreds. While the AAA guy is replacing with spare, we notice that all the other tires are worn down to the steel belt on the inside of the tire only..i had to crawl to
the nearest tire dealer , get four new tires but now what?

Question: what would cause this? Appears to have 'lost camber' according to the dexter manual....please help!
freemanbobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:51 PM   #2

Have you weighed your unit? I am thinking that weight causes axle deflection which could give camber in a tire.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Is this a new rig. You may need the axle alignment checked and a trip to the scales.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:08 PM   #4

Some of the White Hawk TT had been built with the wrong axles. Mine had to be changed. Don't know if this is your problem, but read the thread shown below. There is information to contact Dexter in that thread if there is something wrong with the axles.http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ted-15137.html
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

A little more info could be helpful. How old of a htt? Are they the original tires? Do you check the tires often, ie wear, tire pressure? How fast do you tow? Have you ever checked your weight to ensure your not overloaded?

As for wear, I had that issue with one tire, but it was due to how I have to back into my driveway.

Blowouts on trailers usually are not good.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #6

Severe Tire Bliwout

thanks for the replies...we've had the trailer almost two years now and have put on probably 7,000 miles, then this happens ...the load was not excessive ...the only new thing i did was have about 6 gallons of fresh water in tank , seems like about 60 lb , again , not excessiive.

I was driving on a bumpy road when it happened but I've been on far worse with problems like this.

I have read posts that talk about poorly rated axles, but wouodnt that have happened much sooner than now.

Also what i dont understand how i seemed to lose camber, ie i guess the 'natural' bend was lost in BOTH axles at the same time??
Old 09-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #7

The first step for me would be a trip to a CAT scale to find out exactly what the load on your trailer is. There is a bit of natural camber in regular axles that flattens out as load is added. But if overloaded, they will over deflect and wear the inside of the tires. I am not sure if the Torflex setup does the same thing? Regardless, you may be surprised at how much all of your trailer cargo actually weighs out to when you have less than 800 lbs to play with (the 23B actually has a fair bit less CCC than our 19H, so I know how tight it can be).
I did bend the axle on our pup trailer after hitting a large road swale with a near full load. I wasn't overweight, but that big a bounce certainly stressed the axle beyond its limit and "reversed" the camber on my axle, and after that my tires would wear out in a couple of short trips. It is possible that a road hazard has caused a similar problem with your unit. If your weights are okay, then it is time to start looking at the axle geometry to understand what is wrong. Just like a car, things can get out of alignment, especially after encountering a road hazard.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #8

I think you have the wrong tires on the unit or they're just worn and need replacing. I seriously doubt anything's wrong with the axles.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #9

I have a 27RLS with close to 10000 miles on the original "china bomb" tires. I do not see any unusual wear. If you are seeing the belts starting to show at 7000 miles, then IMO something is wrong. I would do as others have recommended, first check your weights, if OK, then start looking for axle/alignment issues.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:19 AM   #10

Update and requested advice on Severe Tire Blowout

Hi and thanks all for feedback...it all helps. To recap, we were driving in Maine , near the end of a 2,000 mile, three week road trip, when a tire blew to shreds on my Jayco x23b. As the very nice AAA guy was putting the spare on my left rear of a dual axle set, he pointed out We Had a much bigger problem....all the other three tires were worn right down to the steel belt showing, all on the INSIDE of the tires. So, we crawled to a tire dealer in Harrington,Me, where we met another super nice and honest guy who ordered four Goodyear ST175/80r13's for next day delivery. His price was LOWER than the Walmart online price!
Then, we limped into Bangor,Maine, to McKays RV , a Jayco dealer, who said he could take a look the next day, so we once again overnighted unscheduled.
Mike Sr, another super decent and honest guy, told us we were ok to drive the remaining 600 miles to my dealer in Ontario, but that I should get new axles and new tires , under warranty , the two year one from Jayco, once we got back.

We drove back all the way at 50mph or so on the brand new Goodyears, without a problem, but presumably with the tires wearing unevenly once again.

So now my trailer is sitting at my dealer's,waiting for inspection . Questions I have, begging for feedback:

1. The Dexter axle manual says that when all tires wear out on the inside of the tire,it's due to 'loss of camber' and alignment is the remedy.Anyone else had something like this happen to them?

2. Steve, Mike's service manager told me they don't do alignment, they replace the axles. Has anyone had any experience with axle replacement? We are still in the two year warranty period.

3. I am fearing I am going to get told there's nothing wrong with the axles by my dealer, who is fairly small and is having a trailer axle guy from down the road look at it. Can anyone suggest what would be my next step?

4. I've done a lot of reading about this and it seems there are tons of measurements that can be taken, but with my pea brain, I find it hard to understand what's what. If I get given a bunch of numbers, is there anyone here who can interpret them for me? Or can you tell me what numbers I should be asking for, with respect to camber, axle bend, etc?

5. Overloading was not and never has been an issue with my towing. On the day when the tire blew out while driving, there was not more than 400 lb in and on the trailer, including propane tanks and batteries, and my side sticker says my max is 572 added lbs. We've never ever had enough extra weight in the trailer to get anywhere near that. Would anyone agree with me that when all four tires wear all evenly in the same place down to the belts exposed, overloading in this scenario is anyway highly unlikely ?

6. Ever since we got the trailer, I've noticed that the rear tires are tilted off-vertical when parked, especially when parked on an angle. I've always been told 'that's normal'... Anybody else ever noticed this degree of 'camber'?

7. Some would say, well you should have noticed that when you periodically checked your tires. A month ago when I was towing home thru my city, a guy followed me home to tell me he thought my tires were 'bent on an unhealthy angle' while driving. He and I both looked from the back and it was noticeable but not excessively while parked. We certainly didn't see any belts showing on the tires. I called my dealer the next day and was told 'that's normal. Also when I tightened all the wheel lugs before leaving for this recent trip , I never noticed any wear on the inside of any tire. Either it wasn't there or its in a place when you just can't see it without pulling the tire off. My question here is, how long would it take for all 4 tires to wear this badly... A long period of time, eg 10,000 miles, or could it happen in just a few hundred miles of driving?

Sorry for the length, but my reading of these forums tells me there are some very intelligent and knowledgable folks out there who can help me get through this. At the very least, we've all been there (or somewhere around there) and done something like this. If You are one of the experts on this, or have had a similar experience, please post?
Old 09-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #11

IMO, if the tires noticeably tip out at the bottom (or top for that matter) something is wrong. I have heard that trailer axles are designed with a bow in the axle. When installed in a trailer, the trailer weight flattens out the axle to its proper running position. If the axle is installed upside down, then you get the excessive angle of the tires. I have no experience with this, I just heard about it on these and other forums.
If you keep getting the "run around" try taking the trailer to someplace that specializes in repairing all types of trailers.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #12

I'd say if a good samaritan took the time to follow you home to tell you something looked wrong with the tires, then there must be something very wrong. That happened a while before the blowout, so it's been going on for a while. Not something that just happened the last few hundred miles.

I know you said there was no way the trailer was overloaded.
Without knowing that, I would say the axles have both been overloaded causing them to bend. 572lbs comes easy.

The other thing it could be is the wheel bearings. We still don't know how old the HTT's is. I assume it is pretty new as you mentions the warrantee is still in effect.
After the first few hundred miles did you tighten the wheel bearings?
Something that's often overlooked that the dealer should be on top of but usually is not.
Most of the time it doesn't cause a problem, a lot of people only put a few hundred miles a season on their trailers so when they have the wheel bearings repacked after a season or two they get tightened then.

You are racking up miles faster than most so if this is a new trailer that never had the bearings tightened it could be the cause of the problem.

Any new trailer, or new axle, or new hub, or new bearing needs to break in. Then be re tightened.

Good luck!
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #13

I think that Jayco will do right by you... If what the dealer tells you after the inspection isn't what you want to here, contact Jayco directly!! It's not unusual for the communication between the dealer and Jayco to get a little, well, confused.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #14

When I tightened my wheel bearings after about 400 miles they were loose.
With the tire off the ground and grabbing the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock I could rack the wheel 1" top and bottom.

So if you've driven thousands....
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemanbobj View Post
Hi and thanks all for feedback...it all helps. To recap, we were driving in Maine , near the end of a 2,000 mile, three week road trip, when a tire blew to shreds on my Jayco x23b. As the very nice AAA guy was putting the spare on my left rear of a dual axle set, he pointed out We Had a much bigger problem....all the other three tires were worn right down to the steel belt showing, all on the INSIDE of the tires. So, we crawled to a tire dealer in Harrington,Me, where we met another super nice and honest guy who ordered four Goodyear ST175/80r13's for next day delivery. His price was LOWER than the Walmart online price!
Then, we limped into Bangor,Maine, to McKays RV , a Jayco dealer, who said he could take a look the next day, so we once again overnighted unscheduled.
Mike Sr, another super decent and honest guy, told us we were ok to drive the remaining 600 miles to my dealer in Ontario, but that I should get new axles and new tires , under warranty , the two year one from Jayco, once we got back.

We drove back all the way at 50mph or so on the brand new Goodyears, without a problem, but presumably with the tires wearing unevenly once again.

So now my trailer is sitting at my dealer's,waiting for inspection . Questions I have, begging for feedback:

1. The Dexter axle manual says that when all tires wear out on the inside of the tire,it's due to 'loss of camber' and alignment is the remedy.Anyone else had something like this happen to them?

Yes, on our 1007 pup. This isn't 100% the same as your situation as the pups have "normal" axles. You actually have Torflex axles that are more integrated into the frame.

2. Steve, Mike's service manager told me they don't do alignment, they replace the axles. Has anyone had any experience with axle replacement? We are still in the two year warranty period.

We had two choices, replace the axles, or find a truck repair place that does alignment on large semi-trailers that might try a much smaller axle. Unfortunately our repair shop could not find a replacement anywhere in Canada, so after much discussion we decided to upgrade our TT after our Jayco dealer offered excellent trade-in value. He would get the part from Jayco US over the winter. FWIW - I was surprised at how inexpensive trailer axles are (when you can find them).

Note that an axle swap for you won't be quite as easy as a standard axle because of the way the torflex mounts. a standard axle is literally four bolts.

3. I am fearing I am going to get told there's nothing wrong with the axles by my dealer, who is fairly small and is having a trailer axle guy from down the road look at it. Can anyone suggest what would be my next step?

I would probably get down on my belly and take some pictures that clearly indicate the toe out of the wheels. Then approach Jayco and see what they say. The toe is going to be pretty obvious if someone actually stopped you to comment.

4. I've done a lot of reading about this and it seems there are tons of measurements that can be taken, but with my pea brain, I find it hard to understand what's what. If I get given a bunch of numbers, is there anyone here who can interpret them for me? Or can you tell me what numbers I should be asking for, with respect to camber, axle bend, etc?

Dexter has manuals for this, but I expect different numbers for different frame/axle combos. I wouldn't sweat the numbers too much

5. Overloading was not and never has been an issue with my towing. On the day when the tire blew out while driving, there was not more than 400 lb in and on the trailer, including propane tanks and batteries, and my side sticker says my max is 572 added lbs. We've never ever had enough extra weight in the trailer to get anywhere near that. Would anyone agree with me that when all four tires wear all evenly in the same place down to the belts exposed, overloading in this scenario is anyway highly unlikely ?

IMO the only thing that causes this inside tire wear is axle de-camber. okay, the loose bearing is possible too, but I expect that would cause a lot of heat problems and shimmy alongside. There are two probable causes for the de-camber; either constant overloading or road hazard (that's what happened to my pup). Just like your car can lose alignment after hitting a pot-hole, similar things can happen to your trailer. As you said in your first post, you were driving a very bumpy road - do you do this often? Note that overload will correct itself by unloading the TT. If you still show off camber with all your cargo removed, then the problem is more likely to be a bent axle.

6. Ever since we got the trailer, I've noticed that the rear tires are tilted off-vertical when parked, especially when parked on an angle. I've always been told 'that's normal'... Anybody else ever noticed this degree of 'camber'?

When you say "off vertical" do you mean camber or caster? Often when backing into a tight spot, your tires will appear to have an off caster (side twist) from the turning forces while backing. If at all possible, it is best to unload the tire forces by finishing with a short straight back or forward movement. A bit of camber-in (tilting in at the bottom so the tires are a bit to the outside edge) is normal in an unloaded trailer and should flatten as cargo is loaded. Camber-out is not normal.

7. Some would say, well you should have noticed that when you periodically checked your tires. A month ago when I was towing home thru my city, a guy followed me home to tell me he thought my tires were 'bent on an unhealthy angle' while driving. He and I both looked from the back and it was noticeable but not excessively while parked. We certainly didn't see any belts showing on the tires. I called my dealer the next day and was told 'that's normal. Also when I tightened all the wheel lugs before leaving for this recent trip , I never noticed any wear on the inside of any tire. Either it wasn't there or its in a place when you just can't see it without pulling the tire off. My question here is, how long would it take for all 4 tires to wear this badly... A long period of time, eg 10,000 miles, or could it happen in just a few hundred miles of driving?

Once I hit the road hazard, I destroyed a new (beginning of season) set of tires in one trip of about 500km. It did not take long at all! My guess would be that you hit a road hazard about two trips ago based on timing and comments you made in your post - large swale or speed bump with all 4 axles. Do you recall such an incident?

Sorry for the length, but my reading of these forums tells me there are some very intelligent and knowledgable folks out there who can help me get through this. At the very least, we've all been there (or somewhere around there) and done something like this. If You are one of the experts on this, or have had a similar experience, please post?
The above are my opinions based on personal experience. They may or may not represent your actual situation - just trying to sleuth it out from what you have posted.

Note also that the 23B has the lowest CCC of all of the Jayco HTT's. Your axles are pretty close to capacity before you start loading - this was a design tradeoff that Jayco made. Actually Jayco often makes this tradeoff to keep the towable weight down and attract more buyers. It is even possible that your TT was damaged when delivered - perhaps a road hazard on the delivery trip to your dealer. PDI isn't so stringent that it will catch this kind of thing. If you find you have to swap out the axles, give some serious investigation to installing a different heavier load axle if at all possible. There will be less likelihood of a recurrence.

Good luck!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #16

tires

I know kinda off subject but anyone know what is the max pressure a tire should reach if cold pressure is 85 psi going down the road for an hour or so ???
sobuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #17
Site Team

It depends on many factors. Speed, ambient temp. , type tire, road condition etc.
on interstates at 60-65 mph mine run about 10-15 deg over ambient temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #18

temp I understand just wondering about PSI
sobuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #19

Thank you for this very valuable feedback! A few comments, using my numbers above to relate to what you said on each point:

1. It sounds like your dealer found it impossible to find a replacement axle. I was hoping that Dexter would just ship another pair of axles for me....not necessarily going to be the case, or were your axles maybe just 'Rare'? I too am in Canada...does that make it harder to get them?

Also, I did start a claim with my insurance company as well. Am I better off going with my Jayco warranty or with the insurance claim, is another question that I thought of?

5. Regarding thinking about some preceding driving experience, at the beginning of our trip, we drove thru Montreal on HWY 40 and they were the WORST roads we have ever driven on....the pavement was just covered in patches and dips and what all ....it was an hour of pure hell. We put another 1,200 miles or so going out to PEI then back thru Maine where this all happened. From your post, it sounds like that would be enough miles to wear the tires down to the belts?

7. That Montreal experience seems to describe exactly what you say here in point #7 feedback, with the miles you project being put on after the experience all compressed into the fact that we were at the beginning of a 2,000 mile trip.

A follow up request for feedback.... It is true that the wheel bearings are right about at the point where the Dexter manual says they need to be serviced...12,000 miles. You describe overheating and significant tire wobble as symptoms of that problem...on our trip back with new tires, I constantly checked the hubs with the back of my hand for heat buildup and never any.

Would this lack of heat in 700 miles, the fact that the hub/spindles showed no 'searing' or anything when the dealer was putting new tires on, and the fact that all four tires showed the exact same wear pattern to the exact same degree....does this rule out wheel bearings, or is it still a possible cause of what happened?

Thanks again for everone's time reading this and especially to the last poster!
Old 09-06-2016, 06:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Note also that the 23B has the lowest CCC of all of the Jayco HTT's. Your axles are pretty close to capacity before you start loading - this was a design tradeoff that Jayco made. Actually Jayco often makes this tradeoff to keep the towable weight down and attract more buyers. It is even possible that your TT was damaged when delivered - perhaps a road hazard on the delivery trip to your dealer. PDI isn't so stringent that it will catch this kind of thing. If you find you have to swap out the axles, give some serious investigation to installing a different heavier load axle if at all possible. There will be less likelihood of a recurrence.

Good luck!
Many RVs play the weight game; it seems especially prominent on some of the Jayco Ultralight HTTs. The x17Z plays it awfully close to the vest. The one I had years ago had about 300 pounds left after the propane tank, battery, and HW tank were filled. That's not a lot of anything to be honest. Its the primary reason I dumped the trailer way too early - I was afraid to put anything in it.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote