Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #1

Short bed vs. long bed pickup for towing

Do you have a higher towing rating with a short bed versus a long bed pickup? Thanks!
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #2

There is not a pat answer to this. It's going to depend on overall configuration. A standard cab short bed with 3:42 gears could have a lower capacity than a standard cab long bed with the same engine but 3:73 gears. Flip the gears, 3:73 in the short bed and 3:42 in the long bed and now the long bed has the higher capacity.

Throw in the differences of extended and crew cabs into the mix and you could have several different scenarios. And it'll vary from year to year and manufacturer as well.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #3

I think most times a long bed will have higher towing capacity
Money2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #4

Short bed is more maneuverable due to shorter wheelbase.
I find that backing into a tight campsite is easier compared to longbed.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #5

Long bed will add a bit more weight as does extended/crew cab models, thus reducing weight capacity slightly. I have owned several of both. Once you have a crew cab truck, the difference between an 8' bed and a 6 1/2' bed is minimal is parking ability in a parking lot. In my opinion, the extra cargo capacity in the bed outweighs the difference in maneuverability between short bed/long bed. My current truck is a crew cab with an 8' bed, I've learned to park it fairly well and typically towards the back of most parking lots!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #6

Forgot another biased point! Longer wheelbase will add to control and ride quality
Old 06-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #7

You can order a truck equipped pretty much any way you want. With that being said, often times manufacturers will only offer the higher payloads and towing capacities in trucks with longer beds. Not too many contractors have a use for a 5.5' bed and 2000lbs payload/towing capacity but they could use 2000lbs payload/towing capacity on an 8' or 6.5' bed.

Maneuverability? On the F150 you have 6.5' box 157" wheelbase versus 5.5' box 145" wheelbase. The ease of parking the shorty is going to be not that noticeable over the long bed. You can't park bikes in the 5.5' bed unless they are in a jumbled up pile.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #8

Longer wheel base on TV yields better stability when towing. This is due to the TV not introducing movement to the trailer based upon slower steering reaction. A very short wheel base translates to faster movement based upon steering imput. IOW, you move the steering wheel and things happen fast or slow based upon your TV length. So longer is smoother.

A short bed on a crew cab is actually a long bed wheel base (or close). Long bed crew cab is more than I need in wheel base, while short bed regular cab is too short for my taste in TV's.
I think you will notice the numbers of crew cab with short beds out there towing trailers and you will likely see the crew cab long beds with 5'th wheels although many of these are also short bed crew cabs.
I hope that helps.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Longer wheel base on TV yields better stability when towing.
Not to divert from the OPs question (actually after thinking about it, I do think it pertains), but I was always of the understanding that a shorter distance between the rear axle and the hitch ball (pivot point) contributed more to stable towing than overall TV length. In other words, while the long bed makes for a longer wheel base (good for towing) there is more distance between the axle and hitch ball (bad for towing) than a short bed. How much of a difference is up for debate, but the whole principle behind Hensley hitches is to move the pivot point closer to the axle and gain stability.

So I wonder, could the long bed be a bad thing or a good thing for towing?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #10

As far as I know, with GM, 2500/3500 only offer a 6.5 and 8' options where as the 1500 also has a 5.5' option with certain cab configurations. For as, with a 2500 crew cab, the 6.5' bed is plenty both terms or wheel base and storage. And I don't recall the 8' having more cargo carrying capacity or a higher tow ratings.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Not to divert from the OPs question (actually after thinking about it, I do think it pertains), but I was always of the understanding that a shorter distance between the rear axle and the hitch ball (pivot point) contributed more to stable towing than overall TV length. In other words, while the long bed makes for a longer wheel base (good for towing) there is more distance between the axle and hitch ball (bad for towing) than a short bed. How much of a difference is up for debate, but the whole principle behind Hensley hitches is to move the pivot point closer to the axle and gain stability.

I will have to think about that, not sure at the moment. But based on your thinking a short bed long wheel base would be best for trailers. right?

You get the benifit of slower changes based upon steering imput and less tail wagging on the TV that could intruduce sway into the trailer.

Now that I think about, it makes perfect sense. Crew cab short bed for me.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 06-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #12

Quote:

On 2009 and up F150's (and possibly others) the distance from the axle to the tailgate is the same on the 5.5' and 6.5' beds. The added foot is in the front of the box. Look at the quarter panel length between the rear wheel well and back of the cab and you'll find the extra 12". The overhang from the hitch to the axle would be the same for either length box.

Another thing to consider is the use of the term "long" or "short". Many trucks now days (depending on cab size) can have 3 bed lengths available: 8', 6.5', and 5.5'. Short bed super crew is 5.5', long bed super crew is 6.5'. Short bed regular cab is 6.5', long bed regular cab is 8'...speaking for '09 and up Fords specifically.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #13

All of the wdh/sway control info I read, states a caution that short trucks has a tendency to induce sway, in some cases. Doesn't explain "short" or "induce". I have about 7m miles with a short bed 2500hd gmc, tt is a 2012 Jayco 298rls, and I am satisfied(no white knuckles so far). I drop 5 links on my husky wdh and have a sway bar on both sides.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #14

OP is asking if higher tow rating with long bed vs short bed. If all other features are the same the answer is no,
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post

A short bed on a crew cab is actually a long bed wheel base (or close).
You bring up a very good point. Even though I have a short bed truck, it is an extended cab. Therefore I guess it isn't really a short wheelbase truck. Even though I never thought of it as as a long wheelbase truck, actually it has close to the same as a standard cab/long box truck.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #16

Quote:

I think you will find that the distance from the rear wheels to the hitch ball is the same for short or long bed trucks. The long bed axle is farther from the front axle. I towed our 25ft Prowler with a short cab short bed exactly four times before we went shopping for a longer truck.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Many trucks now days (depending on cab size) can have 3 bed lengths available: 8', 6.5', and 5.5'. Short bed super crew is 5.5', long bed super crew is 6.5'. Short bed regular cab is 6.5', long bed regular cab is 8'...speaking for '09 and up Fords specifically.
Makes sense. These lengths do vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I'm not sure what length the short box on the 2014 GMs is, but on mine its 5' 8". That may not sound like much but for me its the difference in being to haul bikes standing up in the bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
I think you will find that the distance from the rear wheels to the hitch ball is the same for short or long bed trucks. The long bed axle is farther from the front axle. I towed our 25ft Prowler with a short cab short bed exactly four times before we went shopping for a longer truck.
I'll have to pay more attention to this. I don't see to many true long bed PUs. My recollection is that the axle is centered under the bed on them, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #18

bigger the truck better the tow
Kjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #19

I drive my F250 as a daily driver and when I get in my wifes 4 runner I am all over the road for a few minutes adjusting to the change in quickness of steering input. It's night and day different in towing. We tow an enclosed motorcycle trailer with the 4 runner and it pulls it fine but it's a quick steering rig to me and I like slow steering when I am pulling.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 06-17-2014, 02:40 AM   #20

It depends on what your dragging around. I have a F350 Crew cab Long box(8') with a 385bhs 5er. I've seen guys pulling similar size fivers and TT with the crew cab short bed. I can notice that the short bed tend to sag in the rear end a lot more than the long boxes. I will agree with the others about parking a 4 door with the long box tends to be a little more difficult, but once you gets used to it you will be able to slip it in arywhere.
RDNX0528 is offline   Reply With Quote