Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #1

Silverado hitch classification?

I need to replace the rusting factory hitch on my Silverado. The factory sticker is not legible. Is a Class IV equivalent of the factory hitch or do I need a Class V?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #2

I would just get the heaviest duty I could afford. Nothing wrong with upgrading it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #3

I have a factory hitch on my 07 Silverado and it is a class IV, but I agree with DocBrown go better if you can afford to.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:23 AM   #4

A class IV is probably equivalent to the stock but for about $50 more get a class V.

I installed a Curt class V last year and it's much sturdier than stock...

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=200123448
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #5

I was looking to upgrade my receiver on my 2015 GMC to a class 5 and after a LOT of searching, comparing, and such I decided which one I wanted which was a Curt #15860.

So then I started searching for the best price on this receiver and for whatever reason, decided to check to see what UHaul offered. When I looked, they offered a Class 5 hitch with the same specs as the Curt I was looking for but of course it was under their own model number and branding.

After digging thru the installation manual on their site, I noticed some information in the footer of the PDF file and low and behold, it was the exact same Curt hitch I was looking at. Not only that, but it was cheaper by about 70.00 with free installation and a 5.00 lifetime guarantee as well.

Just thought I would toss that out there.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
I was looking to upgrade my receiver on my 2015 GMC to a class 5 and after a LOT of searching, comparing, and such I decided which one I wanted which was a Curt #15860.

So then I started searching for the best price on this receiver and for whatever reason, decided to check to see what UHaul offered. When I looked, they offered a Class 5 hitch with the same specs as the Curt I was looking for but of course it was under their own model number and branding.

After digging thru the installation manual on their site, I noticed some information in the footer of the PDF file and low and behold, it was the exact same Curt hitch I was looking at. Not only that, but it was cheaper by about 70.00 with free installation and a 5.00 lifetime guarantee as well.

Just thought I would toss that out there.
Very interested in upgrading my hitch from the factory class V - Just curious how you determined the U Haul hitch was in fact a Curt?

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Very interested in upgrading my hitch from the factory class V - Just curious how you determined the U Haul hitch was in fact a Curt?
There is a sticker on the inside of the hitch with the UHaul model number 8855105 followed by 15860-50 which is the model number Curt uses. Then when you download/open the installation instructions for that hitch from the link provided on the UHaul page, there is small print at the bottom (footer) of the installation instruction page for the receiver I purchased that says the following......

CURT Manufacturing LLC., warrants this product to be free of defects in material and/or workmanship at the time of retail purchase by the original purchaser. If the product is found to be defective, CURT Manufacturing LLC., may repair or replace the product, at their option, when the product is returned, prepaid, with proof of purchase. Alteration to, misuse of, or improper installation of this product voids the warranty. CURT Manufacturing LLC.'s liability is limited to repair or replacement of products found to be defective, and specifically excludes liability for incidental or consequential loss or damage.

It also shows the Curt model number in the parts list within the installation instructions as follows:

8 2 15860-ST .250" STRAP PLATE

So short of UHaul flat out lying in their labeling of the receiver and their published installation materials, I have no reason to believe it is anything but the Curt #15860 receiver. HTH.
Attached Thumbnails
88551051.jpg  
Old 08-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post

There is a sticker on the inside of the hitch with the UHaul model number 8855105 followed by 15860-50 which is the model number Curt uses. Then when you download/open the installation instructions for that hitch from the link provided on the UHaul page, there is small print at the bottom (footer) of the installation instruction page for the receiver I purchased that says the following......

CURT Manufacturing LLC., warrants this product to be free of defects in material and/or workmanship at the time of retail purchase by the original purchaser. If the product is found to be defective, CURT Manufacturing LLC., may repair or replace the product, at their option, when the product is returned, prepaid, with proof of purchase. Alteration to, misuse of, or improper installation of this product voids the warranty. CURT Manufacturing LLC.'s liability is limited to repair or replacement of products found to be defective, and specifically excludes liability for incidental or consequential loss or damage.

It also shows the Curt model number in the parts list within the installation instructions as follows:

8 2 15860-ST .250" STRAP PLATE

So short of UHaul flat out lying in their labeling of the receiver and their published installation materials, I have no reason to believe it is anything but the Curt #15860 receiver. HTH.
Outstanding! Thank you - Going to do some checking to see if its the same for my F250. Thanks for pointing this out.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Outstanding! Thank you - Going to do some checking to see if its the same for my F250. Thanks for pointing this out.
Welcome! No where near an expert on RV's and rely on those on this board for a lot and so I try to help out wherever I can.