Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
Site Team

Stuck in a rest area overnight

We were returning home from a great 4 day weekend at Lake Thurmond yesterday, Sunday. After 3 hours we stopped to eat lunch at a rest area. Ready to go and the truck would not crank or even turn over. Called GSRS and they sent a diesel roadside mechanic. It was Sunday and took a few hours cause both their vehicles were on calls.

Before he got there I already had determined the batteries were bad or the starter was bad. I'm to fat to get under the truck and it was egg frying hot on the pavement so we waited. I got my faithful 2000i out and fired it up running fans and opening windows. (It won't start 1 ac). Repair man showed up after a few hours and took the batteries to a local place to test them. One was bad the other questionable. (3 years old) We bought a pair of Ford batteries from a local auto supply and installed them. Not fixed, drat!

Needed a starter and there was not one to be had until Monday morning. I called one of my sons, who came and picked up the dogs and wife ( maybe Wife and dogs!) and took them home around 9:30 last night. We were about 60 miles from home. I spent the night in the rig and slept like a baby until 2am when someone knocked on the door wanting some gas money. I sent them packing and went back to sleep until 6:30 am. They called at 8:00am and said they bought a new Ford starter from a parts supply and were on the way. I was on the way home by 10:30 this morning.

This was a first for us and a real learning experience. Hearing lots of bad and good stories but we ran into some fine people who wanted to help.

I told my wife a starter never goes bad in the yard or at the mechanics garage so I guess we are fortunate to have been in the rest area and not on the side of the interstate.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #2

Glad it all worked out for you Norty - Could have been much worse!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #3

Sounds like a "not so fun" couple of days. At least you were able to get it fixed on the spot. I gather it was a Ford repair shop that did the work rather than GSRS.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Sounds like a "not so fun" couple of days. At least you were able to get it fixed on the spot. I gather it was a Ford repair shop that did the work rather than GSRS.
No it was a company that GSRS contacted. No dealers were open on Sunday so the option was to tow it to a dealer, about 20 miles and wait until Monday when they opened or go this route. GSRS paid for the service call, I paid for the parts and labor.

East Coast Fleet Maintenance. They purchased Ford parts from a retailer. I thought the parts prices were right in line with what I paid last time I replaced batteries and starter.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #5

So GSRS definitely did you right. Beats the heck outta getting the rig towed.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
So GSRS definitely did you right. Beats the heck outta getting the rig towed.
They offered to drag it to the Ford dealer, my choice. If that happened I don't know if I would still be at the dealer or not. I had kayaks on the roof and bikes on the back of the rv, so I wanted to be there and had no transportation if we left the rv at the rest area.

GSRS has all ways done me right over 15 years..
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-28-2017, 04:19 AM   #7
Site Team

I never realized how many people overnight in rest areas. When I turned in about 10:30, there was one other class C in there with his genny running and me. 6:30 next morning this is what I awoke to.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0669.JPG   IMG_0668.jpg  
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-28-2017, 06:31 AM   #8

Good to see it all worked out.

Odd to see beggars at 2:30 in the morning at a rest stop asking for gas money. I have seen them quite a bit out here in the gas stations here in Colorado.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Z_Adventures View Post
Good to see it all worked out.

Odd to see beggars at 2:30 in the morning at a rest stop asking for gas money. I have seen them quite a bit out here in the gas stations here in Colorado.
The other day I was at a Sheetz getting gas. A girl walked up asking for gas money. Told her I didn't have any cash on me. She asked if I could put some of her gas on my credit card. As she was talking to me, her passenger walked up drinking a large drink she just purchased from Sheetz. I asked the girl asking for gas money why het passenger didn't use the money she brought her large drink with for gas? They both walked away.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #10

Glad it all worked out and ended up being a relatively minor hiccup in the big scheme of things.

You've also convinced me to drag my genny along every time we tow the trailer. I don't typically haul it unless I know we're going to be over-nighting on the road. But I could see us getting stuck out on a hot Texas road somewhere, and the genny would make that nightmare a WHOLE lot less bad!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #11
Site Team

Yes, I got in the habit of carrying it mainly because I have an ac air compressor and did not want to get another DC one. Both have come in handy several times.

2 years ago we were stranded in a small Florida town with another truck problem. We had a wrecker tow us over to a vacant parking lot and overnighted there until a garage opened the next morning. Then they towed the truck to the garage, about 2 miles away. It happens to all trucks at times. (Disclaimer for the Ford Haters)

HIGH volume oil pump in the middle of the engine was replaced and we were back on the road. It was rather old so we did not need ac.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I never realized how many people overnight in rest areas. When I turned in about 10:30, there was one other class C in there with his genny running and me. 6:30 next morning this is what I awoke to.
We see this all the time along I-84 in eastern Oregon and southwestern Idaho when making a mad dash down into Utah/Arizona. Most of them fill up by late evening - say 9-10pm - and sometimes the semi's are lined up along the off ramp leading into the rest area. On occasion we've ended up having to pull into the car area instead of the truck/trailer area.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote