Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #1

SUV or full size van?

We are a family of four who tow a 10-foot Jayco popup and will be upgrading to a 12-footer soon and in a few years probably a hybrid. I tow our rig with a 2005 Toyota Sienna that needs replacing, and we always have it packed to the gills for our trips. I am 6' 8" and my 11-year-old son will be over 6 feet sooner than later, so we need room for long-legged guys in our next TV, not to mention more towing capacity. I'm thinking either a Suburban or Expedition, or something like a GMC Savanna or modest conversion van. It will also be my everyday vehicle. Of course cost, mileage, and safety ratings are all important. Anyone care to share some thoughts on those vehicle types for road tripping/towing/everyday use? Any input appreciated.
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #2

I'd look at a 2500 suburban based on what your considering.... Just my humble opinion since pickups aren't on your radar.....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #3

We just bought a Ford Expy to tow our Jayco X23B hybrid. We had a Ford Explorer, and I knew that we were probably over the tow limits of it (5,000 lbs.). We looked at full size vans, but nothing grabbed our eye, you know you gotta look good when you're towing, right? The Expy has the factory installed HD tow package, I highly recommend looking for one that has this on it. It includes the over-size radiator, tranny cooler, integrated brake controller.

Now I've got the confidence knowing that I have plenty of "oomph" to tow it. However, since the DW and I are in our sixties, we are looking for a traditional TT, Jayco 27dsrl.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #4

This is one you might want to take a look at. It's a VW Touareg TDI and it will tow 7,700 lbs.and my Hybrid is 4,800+ my stuff so let's say5,500 going down the road and I hardly know it's there. I get 34 with out the TT and 23 with the TT and in the mountains I'll get 19. It's an 8 speed with the select shift trans. so going down the 6-7% grades I never use the brakes. You'll have head and leg room to spare and rear seat slides back an extra 6" and reclines also.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #5

This was a drive down I-5 to Seattle, in town driving for the day and back and this was my Dailey average.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-12-2015, 07:12 AM   #6

Tunce, is the dog in the tach an available option?
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #7

Yes, gives you the camping spot anywhere you want! That was my dog Axel and he went to nursing homes once a week. The most lovable dog I ever had,died in my arms.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #8

We towed our X23B with an 03 Expe 5.4. It did an adequate job but hitting the CAT Scale I discovered we were about 200# shy of the Rear GAWR. The HTT weighed about 4800# loaded. Look at the Rear GAWR, get the rear axle weight empty and back calculate how much TT you can safely tow. If you expect to tow in excess of 5000# or so I'd think 3/4 ton. JMHO, YMMV ......

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #9

How many in your family? 3?

Towing is not cheap. Day to day mileage on any of the full size SUVs and vans is not going to be anywhere near your Sienna. You'll average 15-17 mpg at best in mixed driving with any of the options on your list. And that's a light foot. The Toureg mentioned above will resolve that problem and it's a fine vehicle, but your limitation will be available cargo space. Like you we take a lot of stuff and always needed a sizable vehicle to carry things in.

I'm curious as to why you would not consider a crew cab PU. Seats 4 comfortably. Generally cheaper to buy for the same trim level compared to a full size SUV equivalent, generally a higher payload, about the same gas mileage. You can put on a cap and load it up, or like me, I use a hard, removable, lockable tonneau cover that hides what I carry in the back.

I've owned 3 Suburbans, a Trailblazer, and a GMC Safari. The PU in my sig is the first one I've ever had. I now wish we had done a full size PU years ago.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
This is one you might want to take a look at. It's a VW Touareg TDI and it will tow 7,700 lbs.and my Hybrid is 4,800+ my stuff so let's say5,500 going down the road and I hardly know it's there. I get 34 with out the TT and 23 with the TT and in the mountains I'll get 19. It's an 8 speed with the select shift trans. so going down the 6-7% grades I never use the brakes. You'll have head and leg room to spare and rear seat slides back an extra 6" and reclines also.
I'm only 6', and I'm uncomfortable in a Touareg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
How many in your family? 3?

Towing is not cheap. Day to day mileage on any of the full size SUVs and vans is not going to be anywhere near your Sienna. You'll average 15-17 mpg at best in mixed driving with any of the options on your list. And that's a light foot. The Toureg mentioned above will resolve that problem and it's a fine vehicle, but your limitation will be available cargo space. Like you we take a lot of stuff and always needed a sizable vehicle to carry things in.

I'm curious as to why you would not consider a crew cab PU. Seats 4 comfortably. Generally cheaper to buy for the same trim level compared to a full size SUV equivalent, generally a higher payload, about the same gas mileage. You can put on a cap and load it up, or like me, I use a hard, removable, lockable tonneau cover that hides what I carry in the back.

I've owned 3 Suburbans, a Trailblazer, and a GMC Safari. The PU in my sig is the first one I've ever had. I now wish we had done a full size PU years ago.

If you're looking at full size SUVs, there is zero reason to not check out 4 door 3/4 tons. I put the seat all the way back in my Megacab, and my 6'5"
Dad sits behind me with room to spare.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #11

Great input all, thanks much, just what I'm looking for. Re: pickups I always thought they were superfluous unless you're a rancher or something, but maybe I'll have to reconsider. Are PU mfrs still held to lower govt safety standards than passenger vehicles, e.g. air bags etc.?
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #12

I'm way in favor of towing with full sized vans so take this with a grain of salt.

I've been towing with full sized vans since 1974. I love them for towing and comfort when on the road. I feel that many people just haven't towed with them to figure out how well they work.

Towing.

Longer wheel base, wider track, short distance from rear axle to tow ball, straight rear axle (not independent suspension), decent vehicle weight, a real frame, stiffer suspension and some other things I'm likely forgetting all work to make towing better. A full sized van has those.

Another thing that full sized vans have is a better transition from vehicle box to trailer to help with air flow. I've noticed that I get much more air wash bumping my trailer around from big rigs that are tankers or vehicle haulers than I do from 40 and 53 ft box trailers. I feel that the box shape helps tractor trailers and vans with air movement while towing.

For towing I would go for the 3/4 ton van and V8 over a 1/2 ton with V6. You pay a bit in fuel economy but the extra capacity is worth it. My personal opinion is that with diesel fuel prices and diesel engines being more expensive than gassers a gas engine makes the most sense for casual use towing with a van.

Comfort

Vans allow easy storage for stuff while traveling. Everything stays dry and is fairly readily available. We had two young children traveling with us. Being able to have each one in their own rear seat was a godsend. That remained true into their teen years. Don't underestimate that if you have kids.

In most vehicles you sit partially reclined. In a full sized van you sit more upright with your feet flat on the floor. That makes it easier to change positions while driving long distances. That is another plus that I wouldn't underestimate.

Some of the worst towing experiences I have had have been when helping others tow using their SUV. I hate towing with SUV's. That includes my friend's Escalade.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #13

I used to travel the east coast with Five other grown men in a suburban plus luggage for two weeks. I'm 6'5 several members of my crew were well over 6'. I know where you are coming from in the legroom department. If you want room and comfort a suburban is the way to go. That one and my current ride had 4 captains chairs and a 3rd row bench seat. Extremely comfortable and tons of legroom for my 17 yr old son in the back. I now do that travel but not as far in 15 passenger vans. (Changed companies) Nowhere near as comfortable.
I owned a 4 door Ram. Plenty of room for me but not so much for a full size man behind me. Loved that truck and it had awesome power. I currently tow my camper with a suburban. Tons of room for gear and luggage, including our scuba gear. Mine is a 1500 and will tow 9200lbs. My TT is only 3100 with a tongue weight of 410. It tows this nicely and pretty easily with four air tanks and about 200 lbs of scuba gear in the back, two adults and one teenager. If you have higher weights look at the 2500 model. I have owned trucks and SUVs. Where as I loved that Ram I have gravitated to SUV's for the simple fact that I can leave gear in it and lock it up. Groceries and luggage also won't get wet. And my God the thing is a tank. Its a foot longer than my camper. As a side note the most comfortable travel I have done was in a conversion van but with the crew and luggage a 3/4 ton chassis is a must. Vans are heavy and are not aerodynamic at all. Your cargo capacity will be affected. My personal opinion is a suburban is the way to go. Can't speak for Expeditions as I've never been in one.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote