Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fill The Coolers View Post
I read this article quite intently looking for an exact answer dues to a little side to side squishyness while towing .... However I guess it all boils down to each's own.

My current set up is of this:

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi.. current sneakers are Cooper AT/3 275/60/R20 (which suck, bad mistake #1) towing a 2015 28 BHBE. Upon suggestion of someone I thought knew something about suspension I changed out my stock shocks to a good pair of gas shocks with coils ($195.00 bad mistake #2) Since I'm not towing in the next 5 months priority is I am in dire need of tires. I've noticed that If I drop my tire size down to 16" or 17" I can find a lot more tires in the LT category with better load ratings. Has anyone drop the tire size to gain better tire ratings? I'm looking at the Goodyear Wranglers ADVENTURER with kevlar....... new sneaks for the 20" rim become quite costly to the tune of $300 a tire for a decent brand and rated tire........ come spring stock shocks I think will be going back on unless I find or hear of some that are better

I also had a difficult time finding a tire in the correct size, which is 265/65 18. I ended up up-sizing the tire size slightly to get a tire that would work. I went with a 275 65 18, which is slightly taller and wider. It worked out well as it fills the wheel well and looks better. I found that a lot of manufacturers list available sizes for each model of tire. You may look at those charts for the tires that you are interested in to find something close to the stock size. Maybe look for a 70 or 75 series tire. And yes, be prepared to pay out the nose. The tires I went with were 909 out the door. Remember if you drop down from a 20 to a different size wheel you will also have to purchase new wheels, which won't be cheap.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #22

I just put some LT275 65R18 E Nitto Durra Grapplers on my Tundra. Wife had them put on yesterday as I was on midnights. Some sizes have the Dura Belt technology which is suppose to be better and this size is one of them. Look great and are suppose to wear great. Trying them at 50 psi to start out. Wife said Truck still drove nice. Will let you know how I like them in a few months.
mrclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #23

Quote:
I read this article quite intently looking for an exact answer dues to a little side to side squishyness while towing .... However I guess it all boils down to each's own.
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi.. current sneakers are Cooper AT/3 275/60/R20 (which suck, bad mistake #1) towing a 2015 28 BHBE. Upon suggestion of someone I thought knew something about suspension I changed out my stock shocks to a good pair of gas shocks with coils ($195.00 bad mistake #2) Since I'm not towing in the next 5 months priority is I am in dire need of tires. I've noticed that If I drop my tire size down to 16" or 17" I can find a lot more tires in the LT category with better load ratings. Has anyone drop the tire size to gain better tire ratings? I'm looking at the Goodyear Wranglers ADVENTURER with kevlar....... new sneaks for the 20" rim become quite costly to the tune of $300 a tire for a decent brand and rated tire........ come spring stock shocks I think will be going back on unless I find or hear of some that are better
I'd look for a forum for Dodge trucks and look for a set of takeoff wheels. I often see on Jeep and Ford Forums that guys are buying a new vehicle and switch out wheels and tires right out of the gate. Usually can get a pretty good deal. Just make sure you know your lug pattern and what you are buying meets that.
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #24

Quote:
What problem do you have with your AT/3s?
Old 12-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #25

As someone who is responsible for safety in everything I do professionally, the only tires I would put on my trailer that are readily available are Goodyear tires.

Stopping distances in dry and wet conditions can vary dramatically, even among the best tires. Going with second, third , or whatever tier tire is penny wise, but pound foolish.

A few feet can make all the difference in a panic situation.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote