Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #1

Switch to LT tires

I am currently tire shopping. The truck currently has p metric tires on it. I am looking at putting some LT tires on. The combo feels pretty good generally, but there is just a bit of wiggle at times. LT E tires are way over kill for my truck, but there aren't too many options in my tire size it seems. I would have to figure out the correct tire pressure to use, and I am also concerned about the TPMS showing an over pressure condition. I absolutely hate lights being on the dash. I need to if the dealer will reprogram, should I go that route. Anyone went from p to lt tires that can comment on tow improvements and what to do with the TPMS?

I stopped by a tire dealer today. He priced me a set of Hercules branded tires. Anyone heard of them? I saw mixed reviews online, but overall favorable. It appears they are made by Cooper, but where is the question. They weren't all that much cheaper than a better known name brand tire I am looking at currently.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

What kind of truck do you have, and what type of tire are you looking for: a/t, highway, mud, etc?

What is your stock size?

Our last truck, '10 Silverado 1500 CCSB 4x4, I put a set Cooper A/T3's on, 275/65/18 LR C. The stock Bridgstone Duehler's had the famous p rated "wiggle", once I put the A/T3's on the "wiggle" was gone, truck felt firm for a 1500 towing ~7200lbs/~920lbs tw (last I knew- didn't weigh it after adding a little tw). Never was in mud, but the tires performed great in everything else! Dry, wet, & snow, never felt the tires were lacking in any way. Plus they have a 55k mi warranty!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:08 PM   #3

I am looking at General Grabber AT2 tires. Size will be 275/65 18 on an '09 Silverado ccsb 1500. I also have the Bridgestone Duelers, pulling a camper a little lighter, around 6800 lbs, and I know the wiggle of which you speak. It is good to read your experience with a similar truck pulling a similar load.

What air pressure did you use? Did you have to get the TPMS reprogrammed, or did you just live with it? I know it trips a warning around 52 psi as we got a high pressure warning towing one time. May not even need to air the tires up enough to be close to that point though.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:25 PM   #4

In that size I would highly recommend the Coopers. Unless the Generals have a mileage warranty also.

Forgot to mention the tpms, sorry! Lol I ran the rears at 50psi cold, fronts were.... 40 or 45ish??? It's been 2 yrs so I don't remember exactly. BUT.... I never had any tpms lights come on that I can recall!

Old 08-31-2015, 07:38 PM   #5

The Generals list a 60k mile warranty, but disclaimer says it excludes LT sizes. Have to check into the reasoning for that. I like the price point of the Generals, but if they won't warranty the LT tires it makes me wonder.

Stock size is 265/65 18, very limited options in anything but a p metric tire.

I may price the Coopers as well to see what the price difference is, if minimal then may go with the Coopers. I have a list of tires I am checking into and the at3 Coopers were on that list.

Tires are round pieces of rubber, it shouldn't be this hard of a decision.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #6

Unless different now, BFG had the AT's available in the stock size back when I was shopping, but they were considerably MORE than what the 275/65/18's were! But then the A/T3's were (I think) about $300 cheaper then the BGF's, plus the mileage warranty, even for the LT's.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #7

The E rated tires are not way over kill because of the handling performance increase. If you drive even a little bit aggressively or tow in the mountain the additional cost will be worth it. Besides if I am sharing the road you will be more relaxed driving have control and will not be crowding my lane. Think of it as buying a cushion of safety.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #8

Run the E's. It may be a bit over kill, but the savings between a LR C and E normally are minimal and E

As far as the TPMS, you may have to deal with the light being on if you want to get the max carrying capacity of the tires. I would run them at MAX PSI when towing (at least the rears) and for all other times, run them at what the door sticker says.

TPMS is much more sensitive today than they ever have been. As far as I know, most systems are programmed to what the door sticker recommends +/- a few PSI. Going from 35psi to 80psi will likely cause the light to come on. I really don't know if they are able to have the programming changed

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #9

Its not a iron clad endorsement but the guy who sold me Hercules TT tires yesterday at a higher end tire place said he had them on his personal trailer 2 years of driving to racetracks and he had no problems. As you noted, made by cooper. Its always a bit of a crap shoot with tires, reading reviews, etc and then you have to live with them for a long time. Good luck with TV tires.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #10

Changed from P Metric to LTs on my 2010 GMC 1500 last year. Felt a little 'Stiff' coming off the tire dealer's lot but was enjoying them before I made it home (about 9 miles). It's not overkill, it's what the Manufacturers & Dealers should be putting on any PU that has any type of Tow package. I put on the Cooper A/T3's. Ride was significantly better overall, Towing much firmer with less wiggle. Do not hesitate to upgrade to LTs.
TPMS was easy to update on the 2010, never had tire light go on in the Dash. Not sure about the 09

I'm still kicking myself for not taking them off when I traded in the truck in April. Running 20" Toyo LT tire now. I would never buy or go back to a P tire on a truck again.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #11

I am running At3s on mine and I lobe them they perform great in snow , rain and dry and are quiet
Old 09-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #12

Your GM Dealer can reprogram the TPMS in the body module. My buddy is a Service Manager at my local dealer and he used the Tech2 machine and upped my minimum to 40 psi. I have had them up to 70psi and never have had an over inflation light. The OnStar report just tells me that they are above recommended pressure, no dash light. I had him up the minimum so I will get the light sooner if I have a slow leak while driving. I always do a walk around and look at all the tires when ever we stop.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #13

Thanks for all of your input. I called another shop today to price General and Cooper tires. I also talked with the guy about any other options. He recommended Mastercraft. The Mastercraft axt is identical to the cooper at3. They just have the different name on the side. I have had a few sets of Mastercraft tires and had good luck with them. They will be in at noon tomorrow. Either my wife will take it tomorrow or I will take it Friday morning since I took the day off for an extra long weekend.

I went with the load E. I figure it better to have the margin.

We are headed out this weekend so looking forward to the first tow with the new shoes.

Thanks for the advice on the tpms. I'll see how it goes this weekend. If I get an alarm I'll take it to be reprogrammed to higher limits.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #14

I have a set of General Grabber AT2's on my truck and I love them.They are 285-75-16 load range D and I don't have any issues with them.I got rid of the OEM E rated as the ride was stiff and and annoying and the D rated AT2' ride great.I don't tow everyday all day so in my opninion E rated tires were over rated for my use.Just towed 1200 miles to florida and it rode smooth as can be

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:14 AM   #15

I've got zero complaints with the Firestone Transforce HT's on my half ton truck. They've got about 50,000 miles on them now, and they still have plenty of tread left.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:43 AM   #16

Hankook Dynapro AT3 60k warranty
Have run 50,000 miles and they have been an extraordinary tire for me. The AT feature has allowed me to grab anything (snow mud, dirt, grave, loose dirt etc) Pulling my gooseneck though all sorts of conditions at 14k+ weight behind me. Great tire. The discount tire ATP Cooper has seen similar results as well.

Going to a load range E tire is smart. When loaded down you will not feel much difference, as a matter of fact you will have a stronger side wall for load support. Go with the "E" tire and you'll be happy you did.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #17

Just got new Wranglers

I have always been a proponent of Michelin tires, but just put new Wrangler ATS, LT rated tires on my truck 275/65/18. The reason I switched to Goodyear was that those were the OEM tires on my F 150, and they went 72000 miles and still had some tread left. The only reason I changed out was because we were getting ready to take a 1200 mile trip pulling the camper and I didn't want five-year-old 70,000 mile tires on the truck. They have an LT rating,, but they are C load range, so they are a good compromise for handling, ride and tow function. I pull 6500 uvw and 760 hitch, plus the usual complement of dogs, wife and groceries. I run doorjamb psi, and the tires don't squat, with a WD hitch.

I was a tire store manager a couple of decades ago, and Cooper Tires were the maker of our house brand. They were always pretty good quality; that was then, & I don't know how they are these days. But, you will always get what you pay for when it comes to tires. Trying to skimp will generally give you headaches.
Fastalker64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #18

I got the tires installed this morning. We made the first tow this afternoon. I started with about 45 psi. Overall it felt much better. Next tow I am going to bump it up to 47 psi. Plan to experiment a bit to find the best combo of ride and tow capability. I will say I think the truck rides better with the LT tires than it did with the p metrics, both towing and not. The wife even commented on the better ride. I am glad I went ahead with the higher rated tires.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #19

LT vs P-metric

I read this article quite intently looking for an exact answer dues to a little side to side squishyness while towing .... However I guess it all boils down to each's own.
My current set up is of this:
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi.. current sneakers are Cooper AT/3 275/60/R20 (which suck, bad mistake #1) towing a 2015 28 BHBE. Upon suggestion of someone I thought knew something about suspension I changed out my stock shocks to a good pair of gas shocks with coils ($195.00 bad mistake #2) Since I'm not towing in the next 5 months priority is I am in dire need of tires. I've noticed that If I drop my tire size down to 16" or 17" I can find a lot more tires in the LT category with better load ratings. Has anyone drop the tire size to gain better tire ratings? I'm looking at the Goodyear Wranglers ADVENTURER with kevlar....... new sneaks for the 20" rim become quite costly to the tune of $300 a tire for a decent brand and rated tire........ come spring stock shocks I think will be going back on unless I find or hear of some that are better
Fill The Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:47 AM   #20

Be careful dropping size in your wheels. Brake systems are getting bigger and larger diameter wheels are required for clearance of the brake parts.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote