Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Tacoma Towing 264BH

I hardly ever post on forums, but I feel I need to repay the favor. I spent a LOT of time researching and looking at travel trailers. I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma and was worried about its towing abilities (6,500lbs). We looked at many small trailers and just could not find the right one, until we came across our 2014 264BH (4,535 dry from factory).
This trailer handles very nicely on the road. I thought I would share my set-up to help other Tacoma owners decide if this trailer is right for them.
1) Equalizer hitch rated at 12,000lbs.
2) Optimus brake controller.
3) Air-Lift air bags.
4) Camping world tow mirrors.
5) Tacoma does have the tow package, otherwise I would install a transmission cooler. We often travel 300 miles to our property.
The only thing I donít like about towing this trailer is through cross winds. With the equalizer holding that trailer tight to the truck in moderate winds you feel that trailer taking the winds. Occasionally you will feel the turbulent winds after a semi-truck passes you at a high rate of speed. The other think I donít like is backing up the travel trailer. Either I am an idiot or this trailer is going to take a while to learn how to back up without attempting the maneuver 50 times.
I am happy to answer any other questions as needed.
Attached Thumbnails

TacoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Thanks for posting your setup. Have you had a chance to visit the CAT scales to see how your weights look fully loaded?

2013 Jayco JayFlight 26RKS
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost FX4

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
On the backing up thing, I bought one of those camera's and suddenly got better at backing up.

DW and myself now provide less entertainment at new campsites.

cheers, Dave.
2010 Jayco Feather Sport 22'6" DrawTite,12,000 lbs.
2011 Ford F-150 XLT SCab 4x4 Tow Package
"If you can't be smart; be stubborn.". DG.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:07 AM   #4
Two years ago when we were looking at Travel Trailers, I had owned a 2011 Tacoma with the 4.0L V6 (tow package). We decided on the 184BH, but really we wanted the 26BH. So now every time we're on a trip, we (family of 4) really wished we had bought the larger 26BH. I was pretty concerned with the tow capabilities of the Tacoma, and erred to the side of not taking it so close to the tow limit. Good to know you've been able to make it work for you. Of course now, we own a 2013 F150..... more than capable of towing the 26BH, which we hope to have in our future in the next year or so.
2013 Swift SLX 184BH
2013 Ford F150 SuperCrew XLT
velorandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #5
Thanks for dropping by and sharing your experience....see you 'round the campfire
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:51 AM   #6
Congratulations on the trailer purchase, and welcome to The Forum! Thanks for posting your specs & picture. That's a nice looking set up!

Happy Camping!
2013 Eagle 266RKS
2011 Ford F-150 w/3.5L Ecoboost & H.D. Tow Package
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum.
We have the 2013 model and love it. Couple of things that might help. When we head out on our trip I keep the anti-sway loose as we travel on the side roads (30 -40 mph). Right before we hit the highway the DW jumps out and tightens it up and we hardly get any sway. Once we get to the campground we loosen it up again to make the tight turns and backing up.

Take your rig to an empty parking lot and practice. Once you get the hang of it you will be backing into your site like a pro. The 264 is a gem to backup once you get a feel for it. Your best asset is going to be your camping partner. Get him/her trained up on hand signals, and communicate while you are backing up.. After a few times practicing you will figure out how far forward you need to go before backing into your spot, etc..

Enjoy the new TT and teach the kids early how to make the bunks. They are a pain to put sheets on.. Easy trick to that though. Reach into the bunk area, grab the mattress from the back and pull it towards you. Put the fitted sheets on and the let it flop back down. Now you can put the front corners on.

Good luck and enjoy.. Let us know how things work out for you...
2013 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2002 Yukon 5.3L Vortex w/tow package

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather didĖin his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #8
Nice setup. If you want worry free towing, swap the equalizer hitch out for a Hensley or a ProPride. These hitches eliminate sway especially when the TV is on the light side. They are worth the cost!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH traded in
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4, 5.7, 6 speed 4.30 gears
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
Nice set up. I just towed a White Hawk 23MBH 1300 miles, from NC to Texas with a 2104 Tacoma, V6 tow package. I traveled across the southern US...no extremely large inclines. I had no issues...not even much sway when being passed by trucks. Mileage sucked, but I expected that.

I too was skeptical of the Tacoma's capabilities...it came through, and then some...
2015 Jayco White Hawk 23 MBH
2014 Toyota Taundra Crew Cab, 5.7 L V-8, 4X4
Beatcop49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
Hey Taco,
Welcome to the site. Nice setup. My TV is a 2012 DBCB SR5 with the towing package. I've only been out once with my Camper once so far but with the Equalizer 10K Weight Distribution Hitch I felt comfortable towing my 21ft X20E which is 4750 Loaded. Without it I was bobbing quite a bit, LOL

It was very windy on the day we drove to the campsite, and although i felt it on occasion I was impressed with the overall towing experience. I never felt like I was going to be blown off the road or couldn't drop a gear if needed to get up an incline. I will have a better idea in a couple of weeks when we take off for 3 weeks touring Ontario. (Bonnechere, CraigLeith, Point Farms and Turkey Point Provincial Parks with a 3 day stop at a private camp up in the Bruce Peninsula between Craigleith and Point Farms.

Until then I can't really offer much in a way of my towing experiences with the X20E.

Wayne, Kim, Mallory & Abby the Dog
2013 - Jayco Jayfeather - X20E
2012 - Toyota Tacoma DBLCB Sr5 with towing package
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote