Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #1

Thinking about a new truck...questions

At present I do not tow my 2012 32TSBH, it is stored at the campground that we frequent. A recent thread here got me to thinking that over. I see where Ram now has a 6.4 gas engine in the 3/4 ton pickups. I found one locally, a four door 4X4, new, at what looks like a decent price. I have never towed a TT before so I have no idea what I truly need. Would a truck like this be capable of handling my TT? Its a big one, and heavy as well. What else would I have to purchase besides the truck? What would be the approx. cost of those things in addition to the truck? My present truck runs fine, but I know it couldn't handle my TT, and a new truck might be nice. Thanks in advance. I know I will get the facts here!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #2

Check your TT dry weight, and how much weight you would normally be carrying around, for sure parked somewhere you have more weight in it that you would carry around on trips!

As for the truck, check your max towing capacity, GCWR, hitch weight... and see if your TT fits inside that and gives you some room to spare

You'll need some weight distribution hitch, sway controling component... depending on what you choose it could go from a few hundred to a 2-3 thousands.

Those are the first things to think of/consider
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #3

A dodge 2500 6.4 hemi gasser would be capable of pulling you trailer. Regardless if you looking at 150/1500 or 250/2500 you really should start the evaluation with the trucks Cargo Carrying Capacity. Remember the TT tongue weight essentially is carried by the TV and uses up cargo carrying capacity limits. Therefore you need to know the CCC of the truck, your TT TW, and a good idea of what else will be carried in the truck (people, firewood, coolers, bikes etc). If this all adds up to less than the trucks CCC you will likely be good on everything else.

Your trailer is big and heavy, I would suggest you look at a diesel over the hemi gasser. Diesel is just a much nicer towing experience.

Other things you will need...1) a break contoller (~$150) and 2) a WD hitch with Sway control (assuming you don't want a Hensley of other $2k+ type, $400-$700 should get you a real nice setup with integrated sway control not).

You also need to think about where you will store the trailer. I assume if you could tow it you would bring it home and not leave it several hours away.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #4

I am somewhat of a newby to the towing/RV endeavor, but I'd add the following:

Load the truck and trailer the way you intend to travel and then go to a scale. This is the only way to know what loads the truck and trailer axles and tires will be carrying. It does not sound in your case like this is practical (I take it you want to get a truck to tow this trailer, and you have not towed it in the past). You must then estimate weights, but I suggest you estimate on the high side. You can assume that the truck will carry 10% to 15% of the trailer weight (tongue weight) if you cannot get to a scale.

Now that you have the loads being carried in the truck (people, gear, and trailer tongue weight) and trailer (gear and trailer) you can determine whether a truck in question has the capability you need. You can work your way through specifications or use the tool that the manufacturers have on their websites (I found this last option very easy and convenient). I suggest erring on the side of excess capacity.

Your trailer is large and heavy and I suggest a diesel if you expect to go any distance with your trailer. If you are only going a half hour or an hour drive then you may wish to save money by sticking with a gas engine. I selected a diesel because I wanted to go - to me, that was the idea of a travel trailer. I think any of the diesel pickups will work with the exception of the Ford 6.0L and 6.4L powerstroke engines - I would avoid these Navistar engines unless you are a capable gearhead. I like the Cummins, and I can easily do the required maintenance myself.

Carefully study the towing system: truck capacity, truck axle capacity, truck tire capacity, trailer axles capacity, trailer tire capacity, hitch capacity. I think I am just echoing what was said above.

You'll want a weight-distributing hitch with sway control - again, echo above. For brake controller, I suggest a MaxBrake or a proportional controller - avoid the time delay controllers.

Finally, I suggest that the most important thing you will want to do is to make sure that you do NOT listen to a truck salesman or RV salesman tell you whether or not a particular truck will tow your trailer - you'll want to figure this out for yourself.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Krackeer,

Since you have never towed before and the fact that the 32BHTS is a heavy/long TT, purchasing the right TV and WDH is extremely important.

As mentioned, a little more data about the "specific" 2014 Ram 2500 6.4L that you are looking at would be helpful:

* Published Tow Rating (owners manual or driver's door on some TV's)
* GCWR (owners manual)
* GVWR (driver's door)
* Curb Weight (driver's door on some TV's)
* Payload Capacity (driver's door)
* OEM receiver rating in WD mode (stamped on receiver)

If you could acquire the above data and report back it would eliminate a lot of the guesswork.

The 2012 Jay Flight 32TSBH......; It has a published UVW of 8,075lbs and a GVWR of 10,500lbs. The loaded tongue weight for a 36ft long TT should be in the range of 13% to 15% of the potential (or actual) loaded TT weight for optimum handling. If you look on the side of your TT you will find a yellow sticker that will have the actual UVW as it departed the factory (Ship Weight).

"Example" of 32TSBH loaded weights (your weights may be heavier);

Loaded TT weight: (8,075lb UVW) + (450lbs ship weight delta-approx.) + (100lbs dealer battery, etc.) + (600lbs cargo-conservative, no fluids) = 9,225lbs

NOTE: Good chance your TT cargo weight will be heavier then 600lbs, especially for families or if you carry fluids (800lb - 1,000lb TT cargo not unusual).

Loaded Tongue weight: 13% to 15% of 9,225lbs = 1,200lbs to 1,384lbs ...... so a WDH rated at 1,500lbs minimum would be required.

Worst case loaded tongue weight: 13% to 15% of 10,500lb GVWR = 1,365lbs to 1,575lbs ...., WDH rated at 1,700lbs would be ideal.

Once you have the Ram 2500 6.4L specification data in hand, then you (we) can apply the above 32TSBH data to it.

As far as WDH's, at a minimum I would recommend a properly sized "Reese" Strait-Line WDH (w/Dual Cam) brand or an "Equal-i-zer" WDH brand...., both brands/models have integrated sway control.

A lot of info to review for the first time...., so feel free to ask any questions/clarifications, there are plenty of JOF members that can help.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #6

My tow vehicle is a 2008 dodge ram 2500HD with the 5.7L Hemi. I think it's rated for pulling 8,900lbs. give or take if I remember right. My 5th wheel loaded was well over 9,000lbs. and I couldn't even tell the trailer was back there. I'm over on my GCWR, but again it tows it effortlessly. I would bet that new 6.4 liter would be a great choice for towing. Bear in mind I'm towing a 5th wheel and not a travel trailer. I have never towed a travel trailer so I can't compare, but I would imagine you would have plenty of power to pull your trailer. Diesel would be better yet, but if you don't tow much it isn't worth considering. I don't tow much from our seasonal site, and if I do it's within an hour and a half drive away, so gas engine was a simple decision for me. I think you would like the new 2014 Rams though, they have improved greatly over the last few years.
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #7

Thinking about a new truck...questions

You won't have any weight issue with a 2014 2500 6.4L hemi. The lowest cargo rating is a config similar to mine(4x4 Megacab), and it's ~2900 lbs. They go all the way up ~3500 lbs on different configs. Again, towing ranges from ~12000(4x4 Megacab with 3.73) to ~16000.
I haven't hooked up the trailer yet, because I'm waiting for the right shank(2.5" with 6" drop). It will be here Wednesday, and we will see how she goes.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
For brake controller, I suggest a MaxBrake or a proportional controller - avoid the time delay controllers.
I would imagine a 2014 Ram 2500 would probably have an Integrated Brake controller.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #9

Here are some of the trucks specs i was able to gather of of the Ram site. The words they use, and the words used here do not match well.

Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 11420 lbs
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 1142 lbs
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 11420 lbs
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 1713 lbs
GVWR-10,000 pounds
4.10 real axle
curb weight 6634 pounds
payload 3250 pounds
Maximum Trailering Capacity 11420 lbs

So, if I am thinking this through correctly worst case 1600 pounds of tounge wgt from TT, which would leave me about another 1500 pounds for passengers and gear. Not real sure how the other numbers play out.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #10

Sometimes I look at all these calculations and wonder, how did we every survive?
I guess it kind of goes the way of bike helmets,knee pads and car seats.
Back in the 60's there were no extended cabs much less crew cabs.the first extended cab I remember was about 74 or 75.
If you wanted to take the family with you, you used the family car for your TV.
My first TV was a 79 Lincolin Continental Town Car with a 460 cu in power plant,equal to 7 liter or more since it didn't have all the epa junk we have today.
Our first trailer was a 17 ft and the last I pulled with it was a 21ft Prowler.
I pulled those trailers all over the country and never had a problem or felt unsafe.
The only mods were a trans cooler and an equalizer hitch.
I will admit when I see a short bed late model truck squated down, pulling a fiver with its nose in the air, I ask,what in the world is he thinking.
As with anything proper set up is king.
1 wife
2 spoiled cihuahua's
rugerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I've found when folks have a little understanding on how TV and TT weights work in conjunction with each other when towing, they tend to make smarter TV/TT purchase decisions, understand the effect of loading, importance of WDH sizing..., and can confidently look forward to an enjoyable/safe trip.

Some folks like to know that they are within their TV/TT weight limits, others aren't as concerned, I guess it's a personal choice one has.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
snip....So, if I am thinking this through correctly worst case 1600 pounds of tounge wgt from TT, which would leave me about another 1500 pounds for passengers and gear.....snip
It appears that the Ram 2500 6.4L, if configured meeting the weight specifications you provided, will be able to tow the 32TSBH within the Ram's limits with proper loading considerations (i.e.; no golf cart in box, etc.). The published (web site) payload capacity of 3,250lbs is normally based on the published Curb Weight of the vehicle, so any added Ram options would be subtracted from the published payload capacity. I believe the Ram at your dealer may have an actual factory ship Curb Weight noted on the driver's door, along with the adjusted payload capacity....., but this shouldn't effect the TV/TT combination being discussed.

Published Curb Weight Includes: Base model vehicle, 150lb driver, full fuel, and all fluids required to make the vehicle operational.

The Ram's receiver weight limits are good as well for supporting the 32TSBH's loaded tongue based on the 13% to 15% weight range (reference prior examples).

Whatever your future TV decision is, a visit to your local CAT scale under loaded conditions will provided you with a wealth of TV/TT weight information, but more importantly it will confirm that your WDH is adjusted properly providing you with optimum TV handling characteristics.

CAT Scale 'how-to': http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

If you go with the Ram 6.4L gasser, let us know how it performs based on your towing expectations.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS