Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #1

Thinking about going back to gas

I am thinking about a new truck because I am having trouble with the DEF on my 2011 Chevy Duramax. It has 60900 miles and has been in the shop every 75 - 125 miles 6 times. Every time the shop says they can't find anything wrong even with the check engine or def light are still on in the dash. I tried 2 Chevy dealers. One did a re-gen even thou he said it did not need it. Another re-programmed the computer. On a different note the transmission shift module went out as we were leaving for a month long trip lucky for us we were 17 miles from home. All the trouble has been with in 5 weeks. still no trip!!!! Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did the shop do to fix it? Is this a Chevy problem or does Ford and Ram have the same trouble?
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #2

While I can't speak to your particular issue,There is no doubt that the emissions systems on the new trucks are sometimes problematic, it is well documented. I really think people are having some issues across all truck brands, (big rigs included) when it comes to the new environmental regulations.

If you don't need the torque of a diesel engine I think that the newer gas engines are a good choice. I used to have an F250 with a 6.2 gas engine and found it to be a strong workhorse and no DEF required.

Kind of a choice you need to make. DEF and emission control systems aren't going to be going away anytime soon.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #3

I have had zero issues with the DEF systems on 2 trucks so far. There are some things about the sensors you may not know that might help you out. For example if you add a gallon of DEF fluid to an almost empty tank the computer most likely will not reset and a countdown to shut down will continue. The only way to add to the tank is to fill it up all the way to the top and then drive it until it gets the full signal. I have owned 2 of these truck now and both of them had this quirk in the system, it's not a real problem once you understand it.

If I had your truck I would keep it. You will never pull anything like a diesel pulls it.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #4

Like stated above it is a problem no matter the brand. One little sensor misfire and the whole system goes bat excrement crazy. I have had 0 issues on two Sprinters 85k miles but other Sprinter users have. Some wait till the countdown timer shows before they re-fill which seems to lead to problems. One theory is the fluid gets below the first sensor and dries and crusts up over time sending an error back to the computer. I fill mine after the first warning. DEF also has a shelf life. Buy from stores with high turnover. In ground systems like at truck stops seem to be reliable but to me too many things could go wrong so I stay away from them if possible. MB suggests evacuate and refill DEF tank every year or every 2 years. Excess idling can cause the system to clog up from what I read but who knows.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #5

[QUOTE=eldermike For example if you add a gallon of DEF fluid to an almost empty tank the computer most likely will not reset and a countdown to shut down will continue. The only way to add to the tank is to fill it up all the way to the top and then drive it until it gets the full signal.

My VW Touareg TDI is the same way and if you add DEF at exactly every 10K you'll have no problems. I burn 2.5 gal. Every 10 K.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #6

I have not had any issues with the DEF fluid, but I have had issues with the DPF/regen. I have had two occurrences where my truck said the DPF was saturated/overlimit. The first time, it happened between Roswell and Albuquerque, when the truck had 6000miles. Truck went into "limp mode" and I had to drive 40 miles at 20mph with my trailer attached.
Second time was about two weeks ago on highway 50 in Nevada. Between I80 and Ely. Luckily the second time the truck did not go into limp mode. I was able to get it to perform the regen by dropping down into 3rd/4th gear and driving with the engine at 2500-3000rpms for about an hour.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:03 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've been seriously thinking of going diesel for two years, but stayed with gas....., decided to keep my future towables within the capabilities of a gasser.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:37 AM   #8

I switched from diesel (2010 RAM 2500 CTD) to a gasser (2011 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi). Towing my 26BH I get the same MPGs with the Hemi as the Cummins, and unloaded the Hemi beats the CTD quite a bit. Maintenance costs for my gasser are quite a bit less than the diesel, not to mention the high potential repair costs of the diesel. Even though I miss the big truck stability of the CTD, the Hemi pulls my TT just fine. I'm glad I switched.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #9

Post your issue on the Duramax Forum. Lots of help there. Sounds like it could be as simple as a NOX sensor, easy inexpensive fix.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #10

My main problem is a "poor def quality" then check engine light comes on. Came on again yesterday for 50 or so miles then went off. I keep my def tank full sometime only added a quart at a time. I now only buy def from the GM dealer $8 a gallon because they started saying Blue Def was bad. I asked the dealer about the senors being bad they said if it don't throw a senor code they won't change the senors.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #11

Last month on I-90 a little over 150 miles East of Ellensburg, WA we had the "Poor DEF Quality" followed by the"Check Engine" light messages. We made it into Ellensburg before it went into total limp mode. The Chevy dealer tried numerous "regens". When that didn't work they replaced the NOX sensor and another part that I don't recall but they could not clear the code no matter what they tried. They then replaced the entire exhaust system. Took them six days to get the parts but that took care of it. They speculated that there was a bad sensor that never sent the engine into regen mode and eventually the exhaust system was so gunked up that it could not be cleaned enough to clear the code. We had purchased the truck in May and all repairs were covered under warranty. It had about 63,000 miles on it when this occurred.
Schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:15 AM   #12

My brother in law had the same type of issues. My husband has an F-250 diesel. Our understanding is that it has to do with the location of where the DEF gets mixed into the fuel. GM mixes theirs up front and Ford has theirs mix near the exhaust. I think My BIL doesn't really tow anything so he switched to an F-150 gas truck. We haven't had any issues with our 2011 f-250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Jayco NorthPoint 377RLBH
Mom, Dad, Two kiddoes (soon to be three) and two furry kids
CassRose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #13

DEF is one of the reasons I looked for an '07 or older truck when I bought mine.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #14

This is why I stay with a gas truck. I understand diesel and have owned big diesels Not in pickups. We simply cannot afford to have these kinds of issues with a $60k truck. If money was no object I'd probably buy diesels and trade them before the warranty is up. Until then Ill just down shift and keeper' wound up.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:32 PM   #15

If you live in a state that doesn't emissions test, I highly recommend deleting. My 14 Ram with a Cummins went in the shop twice for SCR problems. Third time it did it, deleted the EGR and SCR, didn't look back and end of problems. My new truck will be getting deleted the first time it throws a CEL for SCR system.
RockSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #16

for me I haven't had ant problems with my 2011 f250 but I wont let the def tank get below half again as I found out it had to be filled completely and driven a bit for the sensor to pick up ... I drive it mostly in town and some expressway and when doing a lot of in town driving it does an exhaust regen about every 200 miles
Old 08-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #17

Nothing like the torque from a diesel.... But it's gonna cost you!

I could replace my engine for what it costs to do a repair on a diesel!

Schooner, how much would that exhaust cost if it wasn't covered under warranty?
Plus all the other "diagnostics" hours they had into it?

It seems the whole EGR system is a mistake to me. Sending soot filled exhaust back into an engine to burn is wrong and it will cause problems.

The only way I could afford to have one is if I replaced it often enough to always be under warranty.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSmasher View Post
If you live in a state that doesn't emissions test, I highly recommend deleting. My 14 Ram with a Cummins went in the shop twice for SCR problems. Third time it did it, deleted the EGR and SCR, didn't look back and end of problems. My new truck will be getting deleted the first time it throws a CEL for SCR system.

I agree. I'd delete it if they cant fix it. One of the main reasons I bought my '07 was because it was the last year before they started the DPF and I believe 2011 was first year for DPF and DEF. The newer ones don't have as many issues from what I read. Yours being an early one, again I'd just delete it... Like mentioned, you may get more info going to a duramax specific site.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
...snip...
It seems the whole EGR system is a mistake to me. Sending soot filled exhaust back into an engine to burn is wrong and it will cause problems.
Just to enlighten most folks....

EGR has been with us since the early 1970's gasoline engines.

By recirculating a portion of the exhaust gasses, the flame front is slowed down and combustion temperatures are reduced. High temperature burning of hydrocarbons in a nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere (we are on Earth, aren't we?) produces 'oxides of nitrogen' (NOX) which are highly reactive once they are released back into the atmosphere.

So the EGR system was developed as a way to reduce NOX emissions. It has proven very effective in gasoline engines.

However, since Diesels don't have a throttle plate, getting the semi-pressurized exhaust gasses into the intake manifold that has been pressurized by the turbocharger...can be problematic. Ask VW about their FAIL at it!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #20

Back to the shop again more DEF quality problem dealer said I had been use cheap and bad DEF till I said I buy it from this dealer, then he said it had to much water in it, I said I bought it from this dealer last week offered to show receipt, they cleared code said it is ready, showed again code before I got home (35 miles). The good news NO CHARGE