Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinp View Post
I plan to call timbren and ask for their advice...that is a good idea.

Thanks to those who took the time to respond.
Id be interested to hear what their response is so please share if you will once you have talked with them.

MANY people tow with half tons mainly because they are stronger today than ever before. I think for occasional tow'ers (like myself) a half ton truck is fine to get the job done. It used to be said that there is no replacement for displacement, which is simply not true today. The eco diesel and eco boost are two great examples of that, and is probably why we are even having this conversation today. More power and torque is produced from those two engines than a lot of small block V8s and im guessing even some modern big blocks. Don't take the forum personal. You have come to the right place to ask questions. You will get many different answers and hopefully some that help you.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #22

Collin, my opinion would be to get air bags for your truck. Here's why...

* don't hate me Timbren and RAS folk! LOL!

We have an older gentleman that comes to our dealership just about everyday to pick up traded vehicles to take to wholesalers. He's probably close to 70 yo. and I completely trust this guy with any and all opinions he has as far as towing. He's been hauling heavy loads for most of his life. He has a new 2015 F450 6.7 with air bags and loads his trailer with about 4 cars/trucks constantly. Here's what he's told me:

1) Roadmaster Active Suspension is nothing more than a glorified helper spring.
2) Timbrens, now this is HIM people..not me, are the biggest waste of money as far as suspension enhancements he's ever seen. Glorified jounce bumpers he says.

Now...air bags. And he makes very good points here:

He said Todd (that's me!). "Who do you think knows more about towing heavy loads? Your RV dealer or a trucker with over 3 million miles under his belt?"
I said, "The trucker of course". He then said, "When was the last time you saw a 54' trailer hauling brick and block with leaf springs and Timbrens?" I assured him I never had. He then said, "What do you see when you're on the highway and you're behind a semi as far as suspension?" Then it dawned on me where he was going with this. From that day forward, I've used air bags and have never had a problem. No bounce..no sway..no sag..period. The single best investment I've ever made as far as towing.

Again, please don't hate me for this. I'm just letting you know what has been told to me...that's all.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #23

But, I'm sure Timbrens and RAS can definately work under certain loads and conditions. NOT ALL VEHICLES NEED AIR BAGS TO HAUL SAFELY!

And just for the record: I've never used Timbrens or RAS...soooo
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #24

I use Timbrens and will likely move to air bags. In my case they came on the truck and do well for what they are, but air bags are the way to go, I think.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote