Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2015, 03:16 AM   #1

Timbren SES woes...

I had Timbren SES helper "springs" installed an my TV and now I have a truck that rides like a covered wagon when towing. My original intention was to eliminate a bouncy ride while towing...I later found out my hitch was not setup correctly.

Now that my hitch is setup properly I am considering removing/having someone remove them to get a smoother ride. Not sure I can do it myself and I want to avoid spending the money and wish I hadn't had them removed.

Anyone else out there using them? What is your opinion? Any thoughts/suggestions?

- Collin
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #2

They should be easy to remove... just a couple U-bolts. I've never used them. My previous truck had airbags. I debated between the two, but the minimal price difference and the adjustability of the airbags won me over.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #3

Timbrens when properly installed should have about 1/2 to an inch of space in between where it makes contact with the axle when empty. There should be no change in ride quality when unloaded, but you may notice a bit of a stiffer ride when its loaded which is perfectly normal and tells you they are doing their job.

I have timbrens all the way around on my Tahoe because I plow snow with it and also tow. The Tahoe does ride like a "lumber wagon" (as my wife says) all the time and I actually notice it rides better when hooked up. This is due to warn out springs on my Tahoe.

In some cases, removing timbrens is as easy as just tugging on it. Both sets in my Tahoe just "pop" into the factory mounts (no bolts). If it is riding stiff while towing, id leave them, because that tells me they are doing what they should be doing. If you notice it when empty, its really up to you.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinp View Post
I had Timbren SES helper "springs" installed an my TV and now I have a truck that rides like a covered wagon when towing. My original intention was to eliminate a bouncy ride while towing...I later found out my hitch was not setup correctly.

Now that my hitch is setup properly I am considering removing/having someone remove them to get a smoother ride. Not sure I can do it myself and I want to avoid spending the money and wish I hadn't had them removed.

Anyone else out there using them? What is your opinion? Any thoughts/suggestions?

- Collin
Agree with Plowtoy.

I've had Timbrens on the rear of my truck for over 7 years. They do not impact the unladen ride at all if properly sized and installed. They just replace the stock bumper stops. Their only contact with the rear axle should be when there is sufficient load on the rear springs to make them touch. The are progressive so they exert incrementally increasing resistance against the load as the load increases. Mine just mount with a single bolt up through the center. I love them.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #5

I love my Timbrens. With a properly adjusted hitch they get rid of more of the bounce. Also adds more stability when towing or heavily loaded.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluie5 View Post
I love my Timbrens. With a properly adjusted hitch they get rid of more of the bounce. Also adds more stability when towing or heavily loaded.
Agree with all of this. With a WDH setup, the Timbrens must rest on the bumpstops when loaded or they'll beat you to death.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #7

Thanks for all the input.

Well it sounds like I am having a different experience than others.

I noticed everyone who is happy with them has a truck with leaf springs; anyone out there with rear coils like my Ram has? Maybe that's the difference?
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Old 08-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #8

Quote:

I noticed everyone who is happy with them has a truck with leaf springs; anyone out there with rear coils like my Ram has? Maybe that's the difference?
Collinp -
Have you called the manufacturer of Timbrens and talked to their techs? They should be able to provide some insight for you.
Home - Timbren Industries Inc. Suspension Products
Old 08-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #9

Problem is you're loading too much on the rear of your 1500 Eco. Most Eco's only have around 1100lbs for payload. Load in you and the family, add the TW for the TT and you've overloaded the rear axle. Now couple all that with a 7000lb TT that's 31.5' long and it's no wonder you have a crappy ride. Too much TT for that truck.

Why did you add the Timbrens anyway? If the rear was sagging too much it's because you're loading too much on it. IMO I'd just get some stiffer WD bars.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #10

I use Timbrens as well on a leaf sprung F-350. I have heard multiple woes about the coil sprung rear suspensions not doing well with towing, having bad stability, etc. I spoke with an RV dealer owner and he was getting rid of his truck with that setup because he couldn't make it stable. Goducks point seems kinda rude and one sided to me. My truck can carry the weight but does it better with the Timbrens. I also find that they help with side to side rocking, and thus stability while traveling as well as carrying the load. It would interesting for you to pull the same camper with a leaf sprung truck with the same general ratings as yours, and see what the difference is. I would think that would be good information for all to have.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #11

I have Timbrens on my truck as well. But I like you are far from overloaded. I have 1100lbs left on the RAWR and 4000lbs left on the GCVWR. My point to the OP who's towing a large TT with a Laramie 1500 Eco diesel. Rams are typically low on payloads at least until 2014 with the 2500-3500. But the 1500 and especially in the ED model are really low on payload. JMO but the OP is trying to do too much with too little. If he had either an F150 Max Tow or a GM with the heavy duty tow package he would even need any suspension help.

Not trying to be rude, just pointing out some facts. I don't need my Timbrens either but like you they give the truck a more stable ride. I guess you could go even further and say if I had a DRW I wouldn't need the Timbrens. But unlike the OP both of us are well with in are payload ratings and just looking for a suspension enhancement, not a band aide.

This post is typical of 1/2 ton owners trying to do too much. Not all 1/2 tons are created equal. Some are more limited than others. Too many 1/2 ton'rs look at only the tow rating, not the payload rating.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #12

I would agree with those points, especially the Tow rating versus the payload rating. Unfortunately, I don't know what to tell the OP. My truck is a dually and I still find them helpful, just FYI if you decide to go dually in the future. I have them because a previous owner wanted less "rock" with a pickup camper. I keep them because my fifth wheel has a 3,000 lb pin weight.

I might also ask what wheelbase the OP's truck is. A longer wheelbase can help stability a good bit, provided he is within his limits. Moving forward, I think we will find that the new coil sprung rear suspension just doesn't take a load as well (yet), and is not as forgiving as traditional leaf springs. It seems like they are doing testing on the general public. And yes, they are definately marketing the 1/2 tons like they are the new 1-ton. I am not convinced. I would still like to see how a traditional leaf sprung truck with similar numbers would tow his camper.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #13

I would have to agree with goducks. I would not be surprised if the payload on your Laramie Eco Diesel is under 1000lbs.

What is your payload on your door jamb sticker? Should be the same sticker as your tire pressure is written on.

Might be an overloaded rear end causing a harsh ride.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #14

Quote:

I don't have a pick up, but my Tahoe is rear coil springs.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #15

I want to take this opportunity to express my frustration about this forum. I feel like if I don't have a 3/4 or 1 ton truck I shouldn’t even be posting on this forum. I have read many posts where someone is looking for advice on towing with a 1/2 ton truck in a similar circumstance as me and it always seems to lead to you need a new truck. Not everyone has the capacity to trade trucks and have to make do with what they have. Now, I realize there are people who are not aware they are overloaded and need the education...I was there and appreciated the education...but I think that those that are in the position to give this education should make sure they need it before automatically assuming they do.

I am well aware of my situation, I am at or slightly over my GVWR so I load accordingly and I am 1200 lbs under my CGVWR. I knew this when I purchased this camper and I knew it wasn't ideal but I couldn't get a new truck. The timbrens were actually put on the truck with my old camper which was 1200 lbs lighter than this one so I know I did it to compensate for an improperly set up hitch; I wasn't overloaded with that camper. I plan to call timbren and ask for their advice...that is a good idea.

Thanks to those who took the time to respond.
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Old 08-16-2015, 06:21 AM   #16
Site Team

Don't feel frustrated. In this type of public forum, when you ask for info or advice you will get all manner of it from one end to the other. You get to read and think about what others think. Don't get to frustrated if many have differing opinions or experience.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Don't feel frustrated. In this type of public forum, when you ask for info or advice you will get all manner of it from one end to the other. You get to read and think about what others think. Don't get to frustrated if many have differing opinions or experience.
Don't get me wrong...I appreciate the differing opinions and perspectives or I wouldn't be asking. If the bottom line is if I have unrealistic performance expectations of my rig, I can accept that as long as I have exhausted all options to help myself. It would make communication more effective if respondents would ask some questions before rendering judgement on a poster's situation.

Thanks for the encouragement norty1.
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Old 08-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #18
Site Team

On my previous TV which was a Chevy 1500 I had Timbrens. With a TW of nearly 1,000 lbs the Timbrens would rest on the axle even with the WD engaged leading to a somewhat rough but tolerable ride. It sounds to me like your Timbrens are bouncing off of but not resting on the axle giving you a "bouncy ride" that you describe. Just a thought, I may be wrong....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #19

Are there any options for improving the positioning and stiffness of your rear end? Do they make an air bag setup or is there one you can adapt? On paper your setup should be about as sweet as it gets for the 1/2 tons, but you might be suffering some from being an early adopter in the coil sprung rear end department. What type of tires do you have? Switching to a stiffer E rated highway tire (or a mild AT type) can improve stability also.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #20

Yep air bags for the 1500 Ram
Firestone 4190 Coil, Work-Rite Air Bags - Dodge Ram 1500 2009-2013 [4190]
I love the air bags under mine and that they are adjustable for the load.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote