Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2016, 03:13 AM   #21

I just bought a 2016 Ram 2500 crew cab with the Cummins 6.7 L motor and it's been a joy so far. I have only towed for 10 miles back from the RV dealership, but this summers plan is NY to Maine and then to NY to Florida. Can't wait for season to start. I bought the truck down in NC and on the ride back to NY I got 20.5 MPG traveling between 65-70 mph. The Motor just purred at 1500 rpms.....just coasting.
skiingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
Clubhouse has pretty much confirmed most of what I have already read and heard. The Duramax LBZ seems be be my target. The 06-07 model years should be at or near my budget which is very important to me as I have decided to pay cash for this purchase. There's $2k-$3k in wiggle room there if I find the "perfect" truck. Sorry about the Dodge-Ford thing, but I have been the loudmouth "GM rocks and everything else sucks guy" most of my life. While this opinion certainly doesn't hold true any more, my ego just isn't ready for the relentless harassment if I was to make the switch. For now, I can stay GM and satisfy my needs. Thanks to all for the help so far. I really do appreciate it.
I drove Chevy's from 1967 till 2010...from 1976 till 2010, Nothing but Chevy trucks, Last 3 being an 03 2500 D/A, an 05' 3500 Dually D/A and an 07.5 with DPF 3500 Dually.. I loved the Chevy trucks and will still recommend them, but some of what you've "heard" or "read" isn't necessarily true. Having owned pre-admission diesels, then EGR equipped, and now my 13' Ram (have owned Ram trucks since 2010...I swallowed my ego and never thought I would), this one with DPF AND DEF..I get the best MPG towing or empty with the addition of the DEF from a 1 ton crew cab, long bed, 4 X 4 dually since 07.5.. This truck has 36,000 miles, with zero emissions issue, no problems with it, or the 07.5 Chevy or 2010 Ram dually I owned, ZERO issues with all of them..

I was like some in here, scared to death to get a diesel with DPF, then the dreaded DEF, ( which cuts down on length of regens and allows much better mpg towing or empty.).Im 65 years old and a Chevy guy 40+ years, but I went to another brand with all the emissions and love this truck, ( also am still a Chevy fan, I mean it was 42 years of them

So some of this stuff we hear about the woes and troubles are NOT as bad as they're made out to be.. Having owned all and used as daily drivers and also my tow vehicle, I'm speaking from my own personal experiences

I had a chance to buy the brand new 07 Chevy Classic, but opted for the 07.5 with DPF and never an issue..Had it a 3 1/2 years, and now a truck with DEF, which I now like due to getting better MPG.

The 07' D/A is a much sought after vehicle, and I'd recommend it, but a DEF, DPF equipped set up, from again, my own experience, get's better MPG.,

Most forums that people frequent, Posters are asking questions about the product or telling of an issue.I double very seriously that it is the MAJORITY of Ford/ Ram/ or Chevy/GMC .
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
What I find interesting is that Dodge split off a division for their trucks and it is just RAM. And Chevy and Ram do not even use a GM or Dodge motor, but someone elses. Ironic. And when you dig into where all the parts come from, you may come to the conclusion that they are neither any more.

P.S. In my experience, it is not the motors that are the weak link anyway. It is the transmissions. Most of the motors will do 500K but the transmissions won't. And at least for Ram, no one rebuilds the Aisons.

What's wrong with using a different ENGINE? Drama is a proven engine as is the Cummins...a lot of reputation behind both...They've been in the GMC/Chevy's since 01' and well before that in the Dodge/Ram...how's that "ironic"?..they're two proven, quality diesel engines.

Oh, It's AISIN, and yes, they are rebuilt, IF and when that would be needed. The Aisin, like the Allison are BOTH medium duty tranny's..The Aisin has been used in the 4500's and up for awhile now, (the 3500 has a newer version).You also have the option of the G56 manual tranny offered by Ram, as well as the 68 RFE automatic which is "standard"..The Aisin cost more, give's you higher TQ & HP, and again, is a medium duty tranny strapped to a medium duty diesel..I have the Aisin, 36,000 miles doing all my towing heavy and in the mountains..-zero- issues..and if something were to happen to my tranny and they don't rebuild, but replace with a brand new tranny, that would be just fine with me.

So didn't really understand your post, but it appears it's "just Ford" with you
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:22 AM   #24

I was a Ford guy, but switched to Ram around 2009 with a 2007 with the 5.9L Cummins. never had a problem with the truck and put about 75,000 miles on it. Sold it this last year for $2,000 less than I originally paid for it. Sold it the same day I put it on Craig's list! Must not have been asking enough. Anyway, looked at all three brands for my new purchase last year. Looking at 3/4 ton, opted out, they all drove and looked really nice. However, the Ram came in at almost $10,000 less than the Ford and Chevy! That made up my mind and I could not be happier. After putting close to 5,000 miles towing my Eagle this past 6 months, I am just absolutely thrilled with my Ram. If it makes you happy, it must be right for you!
Attached Thumbnails
20150913_140039.jpg  

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:45 AM   #25

It 's a good time to chime back in with an update, I guess. I spent a good deal of time lurking on Craiglist and other classified avenues and have begun to actively look at trucks. I started at the dealerships looking at new to satisfy my own curiosity as much as anything else. I have to say, it I was to pull the trigger on anything new, it would be a (gasp!) Ford. I also learned that pickins' are slim in the used market. Most available units are miled right up or modified toys and as I always like to tell myself when buying something used, "There's a reason somebody else decided to get rid of it." I've moved my budget up to $30k and am focusing on the 06-08 GM 2500 LBZ era of trucks. Every month that goes by without finding something is another $1k or so I can put into the purchase. I know in my own mind I'm waiting to find that super low-mileage rig owned by a "little old man who only drove it to church on Sundays" with a glove box full of maintenance history receipts. The good new is, I've got plenty of time to wait things out. With both a European cruise and a daughter heading off to college 1500 miles away to look forward to this summer, we have put the TT on a local seasonal site and towing will not be necessary. Next year we'll be back on the highways and byways. I expect to have found a tow rig by then. Thanks to all for the input thus far.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote