Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

Tire shopping

I'm in the market for new TV tires.
I drive a '13 Ford F-150 FX4 Eco with max tow pkg.(1100/11000). The truck came stock with Pirelli Scorpion ATRs (P275/55R20). I am not changing the rims. I tow a Jayflight X213 (5500 GVW). I don't load the trailer to capacity so I am def under the 5500. I do use an Equalizer WDH (1000/10,000). The truck is my daily driver and I only tow the trailer about 6-8 X's per season. The trips average less than 1,000 miles each, round trip.
The Pirellis seemed to do okay but they are running out of life. I have 45,000 miles on them and I can feel the tires just aren't what they should be. Last trip I noticed they seemed to have the slightest hint of flex but still felt the same when driving.
I have been looking at different tires and am narrowing my choices. I have a great offer on a set of Michelin Defenders LTX M/S (P275/55R20). The price is $725.00 + tax mounted, balanced, 4 wheel alignment and road hazard warranty.
I am also looking at a deal offered on a set of Goodyear SRA LRE (265/60R20) light truck tires. That price is 850+ tax. mounted and balanced but no alignment.
I am leaning toward the Michelins because I don't believe 6-8 times a season is a lot of towing and the trailer is not that heavy. I think I'll appreciate the better ride on the P rated Michelins for the bulk of my driving over the rougher ride of the LT tires. I'm also not a huge fan of Goodyears.
$ is also a factor as I don't have an unlimited supply. That is why I have narrowed it down to pretty much these two tires. These two deals seem to be the best I could find.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #2

Anything less than Load Range E tires with highest temp rating is dangerous while towing any trailer above about 2000 lbs. 35 psi is also not nearly enough pressure to make them handle the loads properly. This, from a CHP officer who rolled onto the scene of a friend's blowout which nearly rolled his Suburban while towing his boat (nowhere near as heavy as a TT).
Old 10-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
Site Team

That's a great price for the Michelins. Just put four 18' ers on the Tundra three weeks ago, and love them. My tab was 950.00 out the door, but no alignment or road hazard, just rotations. Have about 500 miles on them so far.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #4

The Pirellis have a max of 44 psi and thats what I wouls put them at for towing.
The Michelins say 44 psi (max) also.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #5

Ever checked your local Costco for prices?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #6

No Costcos even remotely close. Sams and BJs but their prices are actually some of the highest around here.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:23 PM   #7

Mine had Michelins on it when I bought it and I went to cooper discoverer atps ... I love them and they have good winter and wet rating and more tread depth to begin with than most
Old 10-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #8

Tire shopping

This may or may not help, depending on several factors. My Silverado is also a 1/2 ton, but I agree with at least one poster - I feel strongly Load Range E is better because one never knows when one might go off road, and E's are much stronger/thicker and take more abuse without the possibility of puncturing like a lesser Load Range tire. Go online to the TIRE RACK, plug in your tire size and look for what you might want, especially in the Load Range E category. TIRE RACK also has an extremely comprehensive, biased (based on consumer reports, opinions and rationale) comparison chart. I've driven extensively in Alaska, on Oregon's logging roads as well as on the Lower 48 Interstates, and my choice (based on my experience as well as TIRE RACK's comparison chart) is without a doubt, the BF Goodrich's All Terrain KO2, Load Range E. Despite what one might think, they're very quiet, even at speed on pavement. They are heavier; they cost me about 1/2 mile less MPG, but when I'm dragging my little Jayco, I want safety, even at the expense of 1/2 MPG. Incidentally, these KO2's air from 35 to 80 psi depending on application.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #9

Load Range E and higher pressure ratings are about sidewall strength, which keeps tires from separating and overheating, as well as stabilizing loads laterally. You don't want to be within 1500 to 3000 lbs of your collective tires' load ratings. Because your trailer with a proper weight distributing hitch will add plenty of load to those TV tires.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #10

Tire shopping

Dustdevil - OK. Unsure if you're addressing me or just educating all the posters in this Thread, but I guess what you've posted is good info. I believe, however, my recommendation is still a good one. Would you disagree specifically somewhere? Enlighten us.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #11

IN my book no P tires on a truck.. LT is what you need ...but hey its MY book LOL so do as you please lol

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1963 View Post
Dustdevil - OK. Unsure if you're addressing me or just educating all the posters in this Thread, but I guess what you've posted is good info. I believe, however, my recommendation is still a good one. Would you disagree specifically somewhere? Enlighten us.
Just the whole group, really. I don't know if the tires you're considering are of LR E or what pressure rating they are. It's just a rule of thumb recommended by those who tow for a living, as well as those who clean up the mess when people choose tires based on how cool they look. For someone who is using their truck as just transportation, not hauling or towing, it probably doesn't matter.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Just looked up your Michelins. Doesn't say the load range, but the capacity is over 2500 lbs per tire. That's likely LR E. Should be up to 65 psi or so, which is sort of the measuring stick of how stout the internal tire construction is. Doesn't mean you should always run that max pressure, but it's heavy enough to handle it if you need it. Your trailer is in the 5k lb range, so you will likely be something a bit under that for actual inflation pressure, to ensure even tire wear. They appear to be a very good choice for towing and loads. I have always had good service from the MIchelins I have had in the past.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #14

Dustdevil, the Michelins I'm looking at are list at just over 2500 lbs. but they are listed up to 44psi. They don't have the E rating. My problem is that the OEM specs call for p275/55R20 and its hard to find a tire shop nearby that will put LT265/60R20s on the truck. Crazy but thats my current situation.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
Dustdevil, the Michelins I'm looking at are list at just over 2500 lbs. but they are listed up to 44psi. They don't have the E rating. My problem is that the OEM specs call for p275/55R20 and its hard to find a tire shop nearby that will put LT265/60R20s on the truck. Crazy but thats my current situation.
Sounds like a LR D tire. You might consider that as a Plan B if you can't find a tire shop to help you. I'd order them online and ship to your choice of tire shops for installation. Then you get what you want. Ever consider going to 16s?
Old 10-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
I can see two problems with the substitution that may concern them. Your sidewalls will be 15.5mm taller - about 0.6 inch, close, but will be enough to affect your speedometer readings. It may also depend on the width of your current rims as the narrower tire may want a narrower rim. Does the 265 require the same width rim as your current rims with the 275's?

Interesting that the Pirelli Scorpions are one of the top rated tires for light truck/SUV application right now. I was seriously considering them until I saw the reviews of the new Michelin Premiers. New but first reports are really good, and Costco has them at a steal right now. My winters (Blizzak)will go on in the next couple of weeks, but Sully will be getting a new set of shoes for the spring.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #17

A tire with a max of 44psi is a P rated tire. 50psi LR C, 65psi LR D, and 80psi is a LR E. There is an XL rating also, but don't recall the exact max psi, but it is about 50psi.

For towing a trailer, I would suggest at least a LT C rated tire. But you should try to find what the max air pressure your rims are rated for first, then tire shop. Reason being if you rims are only rated for 50psi, or 65psi, then buying a set of E rated tires (80psi max) doesn't make much sense in regards to not being able to run them at max or near max pressure when towing (depending on requirements for the load). And running a tire under inflated for the load can be a dangerous situation.

Do you have a Discount Tire near by? Or maybe try Discount Tire Direct online? Model wise, all depends on what type of tire you would like: all season, at, mt, etc. I have had great luck with the BFG AT, by the last set I bought was in '05 or '06. I had a set of Cooper A/T3's on our last truck (1500), and they were great in all conditions, towing or not. Mud was the only thing I didn't have them in. Towing the tt during the summer or snowmobile trailer in 6-8"+ the A/T3's were awesome!!! They have 55k mi tread warranty, which the Cooper ATP's do as well.

I am currently tire shopping myself for our HD, and the Cooper A/T3's, ATP, and the Pro Comp AT Sport are on the short list. Trying to find more info on the PC, but both Cooper tires are in the lead. The Toyo Open Country AT II's have great reviews also (buddy has a set, they are great as well!), just not available in the size I need. Same with the BFG AT KO, no 265/60/20 LR E.

Good luck shopping!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:06 AM   #18

Quote:
This may or may not help, depending on several factors. My Silverado is also a 1/2 ton, but I agree with at least one poster - I feel strongly Load Range E is better because one never knows when one might go off road, and E's are much stronger/thicker and take more abuse without the possibility of puncturing like a lesser Load Range tire. Go online to the TIRE RACK, plug in your tire size and look for what you might want, especially in the Load Range E category. TIRE RACK also has an extremely comprehensive, biased (based on consumer reports, opinions and rationale) comparison chart. I've driven extensively in Alaska, on Oregon's logging roads as well as on the Lower 48 Interstates, and my choice (based on my experience as well as TIRE RACK's comparison chart) is without a doubt, the BF Goodrich's All Terrain KO2, Load Range E. Despite what one might think, they're very quiet, even at speed on pavement. They are heavier; they cost me about 1/2 mile less MPG, but when I'm dragging my little Jayco, I want safety, even at the expense of 1/2 MPG. Incidentally, these KO2's air from 35 to 80 psi depending on application.

+1 on the Load Range E BFG's! I have these on my F-150 and they perform awesome! I noticed a huge difference towing when I upgraded to the load range E tires. Yes, they are a bit heavier and the ride is a little rougher, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. And the BFG's (in my opinion) are some of the best looking tires out there.
Attached Thumbnails
new wheels 3.jpg  

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
A tire with a max of 44psi is a P rated tire. 50psi LR C, 65psi LR D, and 80psi is a LR E. There is an XL rating also, but don't recall the exact max psi, but it is about 50psi.

For towing a trailer, I would suggest at least a LT C rated tire. But you should try to find what the max air pressure your rims are rated for first, then tire shop. Reason being if you rims are only rated for 50psi, or 65psi, then buying a set of E rated tires (80psi max) doesn't make much sense in regards to not being able to run them at max or near max pressure when towing (depending on requirements for the load). And running a tire under inflated for the load can be a dangerous situation.

Do you have a Discount Tire near by? Or maybe try Discount Tire Direct online? Model wise, all depends on what type of tire you would like: all season, at, mt, etc. I have had great luck with the BFG AT, by the last set I bought was in '05 or '06. I had a set of Cooper A/T3's on our last truck (1500), and they were great in all conditions, towing or not. Mud was the only thing I didn't have them in. Towing the tt during the summer or snowmobile trailer in 6-8"+ the A/T3's were awesome!!! They have 55k mi tread warranty, which the Cooper ATP's do as well.

I am currently tire shopping myself for our HD, and the Cooper A/T3's, ATP, and the Pro Comp AT Sport are on the short list. Trying to find more info on the PC, but both Cooper tires are in the lead. The Toyo Open Country AT II's have great reviews also (buddy has a set, they are great as well!), just not available in the size I need. Same with the BFG AT KO, no 265/60/20 LR E.

Good luck shopping!!!
Great points here ^. The forces on the rim/wheel at 80 psi must be incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnnew View Post
+1 on the Load Range E BFG's! I have these on my F-150 and they perform awesome! I noticed a huge difference towing when I upgraded to the load range E tires. Yes, they are a bit heavier and the ride is a little rougher, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. And the BFG's (in my opinion) are some of the best looking tires out there.
I have used the Load Range E BFG AT KOs. They worked great on my pickup when I was towing a trailer. I even use Load Range E Cooper STMaxx on my Jeep Wrangler, which tows nothing and only weighs 4200 lbs loaded.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #20

The latest:
I just talked with a local shop. The owner reccomends I consider the Fallken Wildpeak A/T3W (275/60R20). He's offering them mounted/balanced for $850 + tax. They come with a 55000 mile tread, 2 yr / 25000 mile road hazard warranty and 45 day trial. They are XL tires rated at 3000 lbs., 50 psi.
They are a relatively new tire from Falken so reviews are limited.