Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #21
Lost in the Woods

I will post a pic in the morning. Pitch black out now. I put it through the coupler and before I clasp it I lay my break away cord and power cord on top and then clasp it closed. That way I know I have the coupler locked or my cables would be dragging on the ground which I would never let happen.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #22

Just out of curiousity for the worry-warts out there, do you do a walk through before you leave each day? I am a worrier too, this is why I go through the following checklist...

Every morning before we leave I turn the truck on to get fluids up to temp and turn the lights and hazard lights on. We walk around and physically check everything. We start at the hitch on drivers side;
coupler down and locked
wire harness attached and clipped in
brake cable clipped
equalizer bracket pins on the head ok
equalizer bracket pins on the a-frame ok
stab jacks up
all front lights on
all side lights on
water disconnected, electric disconnected, sewer valves closed and cap on
rear lights on, brake/turn flashers illuminating
awning up and clipped closed
door locked and steps locked in place
windows locked
passenger side equalizer pins clipped at head and a-frame.

Every morning, every trip. It takes 2 minutes to walk around and physically check everything. That has me satisfied that the engine oil is up to temp before towing and everything physically is checked. Tire pressure I try to check every day we drive... sometimes I get lazy. The new trailer will have TPMS.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Just out of curiousity for the worry-warts out there, do you do a walk through before you leave each day? I am a worrier too, this is why I go through the following checklist...

Every morning before we leave I turn the truck on to get fluids up to temp and turn the lights and hazard lights on. We walk around and physically check everything. We start at the hitch on drivers side;
coupler down and locked
brake cable clipped
stab jacks up
all front lights on
all side lights on
windows locked

Every morning, every trip. It takes 2 minutes to walk around and physically check everything. That has me satisfied that the engine oil is up to temp before towing and everything physically is checked. Tire pressure I try to check every day we drive... sometimes I get lazy. The new trailer will have TPMS.

Not only do I do this before we leave in the morning, I do it at every stop during the trip too, especially if the TT has been out of sight. You never know what may have come loose during the trip (rear bumper caps are notorious) or if someone thought it would be "funny" to mess with your rig while you weren't looking.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #24
Lost in the Woods

This is what I do when hooking up. That way I know for certain the coupler is secure because if it wasn't my break away and umbilical cord wouldn't be either. Too many things to miss

plus it keeps them safe and secure.

edit: I have noticed from a few pics on here and many I have seen in person that some people thread their break away cable through their safety chains.

I hope these people are still using a thread link to attach the cable to the tv directly. I would imagine some people are attaching the break away to one of the links of the safety chain which is horribly wrong.

even still I don't like the threaded way of doing it in case it gets caught and doesn't pull out the pin to engage the brakes if you lose the trailer. IMO it should be all by itself
Old 09-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
IMO it should be all by itself
I agree 100%. I coil mine up in a large loop to keep it from draging and rest it on the torsion bars. This way if it were to come apart, the pin would actually get pulled and engage the trailer brakes.

Just thinking out loud, but does anyone ever test the brake away brakes? I never have, but next time I hook up I think I will...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post

coupler down and locked
brake cable clipped
stab jacks up
all front lights on
all side lights on
windows locked

Yup, I use a list, I check it, and DW checks it, AT LEAST once before we leave the driveway, and during each and every stop, when we stop, and again before we get going again. All that and I will STILL pull over and look after we've left somewhere. This is what is going to get me committed to the institution; all that checking and double checking, and I will STILL stop and check again.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #27

Last step to every departure checklist should always be get out and walk around looking at everything without any distractions. If anything distracts you, back up a bit and start over.

Sometimes things need to be a little further away to be really noticeably wrong.

I can still recall out first trip, packed up, on the road, and then trying to clearly remember that pin. It was there but I was only 90% certain which was not enough. Got Out And Looked (GOAL) first opportunity. It was there, but I was much less anxious.
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #28

Quote:
edit: I have noticed from a few pics on here and many I have seen in person that some people thread their break away cable through their safety chains.

I hope these people are still using a thread link to attach the cable to the tv directly. I would imagine some people are attaching the break away to one of the links of the safety chain which is horribly wrong.

even still I don't like the threaded way of doing it in case it gets caught and doesn't pull out the pin to engage the brakes if you lose the trailer. IMO it should be all by itself
I'm one of those that has the breakaway cable threaded through the safety chain, through the chain attachment point on the receiver, and then fastened to the safety chain hook. The dealer set it up that way when we picked up the TT and I assumed it was safe - sounds like it was a bad assumption, and if I've created a safety issue it was definitely unintentional.

That said, if there was an issue, wouldn't the tension on the chains, even if the cable did get caught, be enough to pull the pin?

Regardless, I'm going to change my setup before heading out this afternoon, just have to find a good attachment point on the TV.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #29

Thanks nb, now I've seen the pic, I get it.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #30
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
I'm one of those that has the breakaway cable threaded through the safety chain, through the chain attachment point on the receiver, and then fastened to the safety chain hook. The dealer set it up that way when we picked up the TT and I assumed it was safe - sounds like it was a bad assumption, and if I've created a safety issue it was definitely unintentional.

That said, if there was an issue, wouldn't the tension on the chains, even if the cable did get caught, be enough to pull the pin?

Regardless, I'm going to change my setup before heading out this afternoon, just have to find a good attachment point on the TV.
it is no good attached to the safety chain. The intention is if you get complete separation from the TV the brakes engage. Complete separation means your chains are off as well. Which means your break away switch is still engaged.

Attach it to the receiver right beside the safety chain that way it will always be hooked to the TV and it will yank the pin guaranteed

on edit: I reread your post and it sounds like you are going through the vehicles hitch first then attaching it to the chain so you are likely good to go. I still prefer it all on its own. I just use a threaded chain link to attach it right to the hole on the trucks receiver.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #31

Quote:

Mine came from the factory threaded through the safety chain. But I still hook the loop on my truck.

I like your idea of using a chain link for the termination point.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #32

Quote:
it is no good attached to the safety chain. The intention is if you get complete separation from the TV the brakes engage. Complete separation means your chains are off as well. Which means your break away switch is still engaged.

Attach it to the receiver right beside the safety chain that way it will always be hooked to the TV and it will yank the pin guaranteed

on edit: I reread your post and it sounds like you are going through the vehicles hitch first then attaching it to the chain so you are likely good to go. I still prefer it all on its own. I just use a threaded chain link to attach it right to the hole on the trucks receiver.
Thanks! You're right, I was going through the TV receiver before attaching, but I think I'll change the setup anyway. Rather be safe than sorry.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #33

I use a snap link to attach mine to the truck hitch.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
I use a snap link to attach mine to the truck hitch.

I have a clip just like that, but the gate is not wide enough to clip onto my receiver separately. I will get a new one at some point, but for now, it's hooked on my chain hook... Probably not the best, so I'll fix it sooner than later.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #35

I'm guilty with it being threaded through the safety chains!!!!This is the way my dealer had it and the way it's remained...I will be making a change.....What really happens when the break away switch is activated and one is traveling 65mph?....Are the breaks applied gradually or is it an immediate sudden jolt of a stop???

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
I'm guilty with it being threaded through the safety chains!!!!This is the way my dealer had it and the way it's remained...I will be making a change.....What really happens when the break away switch is activated and one is traveling 65mph?....Are the breaks applied gradually or is it an immediate sudden jolt of a stop???
To the best of my knowledge, once the pin is pulled from the breakaway switch, the brakes on the trailer are applied full force.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #37
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post

full power to brakes. So yes they will lock up quick

also do whatever makes you feel comfortable as well. If you like it threaded keep it that way as long as the end of it is secured to the TV and not the chain. I just prefer it on its own if not for maybe getting tangled somehow in the chain or if the chain gets hit and it pulls the pin by mistake (which wouldn't be fun). With it up out of the way on its own I can look after a bit better in my mind.

at the end of the day don't lose sleep over it. I am sure it will never happen. I have never heard of a complete disconnect and even the ones in accidents where they get flipped usually the trailer is still attached
Old 09-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #38

As far as exess cable on the breakaway switch, a buddy showed me a how he ties a "loop" in the cable. It is just a big loose overhand knot. Works great to keep it from dragging. Looks something like this: (imagine one end connected to the TV and the other to the switch)
Old 09-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

My E-brake cable doesn't pass through any component/fastener, it has a direct path to the TV and is latched through two holes directly in the TV frame (curiosity of GM), not the receiver.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #40
Site Team

I am taking my TT in for service tomorrow and the break away switch is one of the things on my punch list to have checked. On our last trip the pin got pulled out " I think in a tight turn in the CG" but I did not notice it until I was already in my site and was getting ready to unhook. In other words the brakes did not activate.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote