Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #1

To Tow or Not to Tow, that is the question.

I know this has been covered before, but I was thinking maybe there is something new I haven't heard about:

Here is what I have seen about towing a car behind your RV:

1. Do not tow on all fours. It ruins the transmission.
2. Do not tow on all fours. It ruins the tires and runs up the milage.
3. Tow on all fours, but disconnect the drive shaft.
4. Tow on all fours, no problem.
5. Tow on a dolly.
6. Do not tow on a dolly. Modern front wheel drive cars will be damaged.
7. The only car made for towing on all 4s is a Jeep, and only certain models of Jeeps.
8. Don't tow, just rent a car when you get to where you are going.

Did I miss any?
Old 08-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #2

Here's the 2016 Guide as to what is towable:

Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine

When we had the motorhomes I towed a Chevy S-10 (with DEMCO disconnect installed) , 2 different JEEP Cherokees, a Chev 1500 SILVERADO auto 4wd, and a CHEV SONIC all 4 down, never had any issues. Affect on mpg was very, very minimal. Biggest thing to change mpg are headwinds.

Speedometers/odometers don't work when towing.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #3

Towing four-down is the most popular method, we have come to prefer it to other methods over the years.
We have towed on a dolly front wheels up-- 2003 Ford Escape. And four-down; 2002 Jeep Liberty, 2003 Suzuki XL7, 2002 Honda CRV, and we currently have a 2013 GMC Terrain.

The important things to know are that the manufacturer needs to approve four-down towing as shown in the vehicle's owner's manual, with the setup procedure for engaging the transmission, ignition key, and perhaps removing a fuse.
There's need to be an aftermarket company that makes a base plate for the vehicle, which is mounted on the underside of the front of the vehicle.
A tow bar needs to be used that includes connections matched to the base plate connections, with safety cables.
A light kit added to the towed vehicle for turn and brake lights connected to the motorhome's lights.
Finally, but one of the most important items is a supplemental braking system added to the towed vehicle--either installed or removable.

I have installed the base plates on all of our vehicles and although it does take some time (4-6 hours) in some cases, it's not too difficult with common shop tools.
Price for everything is going to be between $2000 and $2500 provided installation is done by the owner.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
car, cars, dolly, towing