Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Total Newbie needs advice

My wife and I are retiring early next year and are considering the travel trailer experience. We have a new Mitsubishi Outlander with 3500 towing capacity and are looking at a Jayco X17Z or A and I'm not sure if the vehicle has what it takes to move this on long trips. The irony is that we hadn't considered RVing until we decided on retirement and way after we bought the Mitzi.

Now we are struggling with upgrading our second car for going on the road with better towing capacity.

Our travel camping experience is over 30 years ago with tents and popups, looking more towards exploring America.

We live in Catskill, NY and would love to see more of America
heyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #2

Mitsubishi Outlander

Not all that comfortable that the Mitzi can tow a X17Z with ease. Has a 3500 tow capacity but we have no experiences with towing anything. Any help out there?
heyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I think that TT with a GVWR of 3500lbs is too much for you vehicle.
I tow a 165 sport with the same GVWR of 3500lbs. I loaded out at 3,000lbs at the scales and it was a little dicey at times.
My 4Runner is rated at 5,000 tow weight, I have WDH with anti-sway and upgraded hitch.

My personal approach is to keep my TT loaded weight at 75% of my TV rating.

SUV's are not a very good TV. Mine was originally purchased to tow my pop-up.
I made it safely through a recent 9,000 miles trip, but wouldn't do it again with same TV.

I'll move this thread to Towing and Tow Vehicles so you get better responses.

JMHO,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

They tow 2000 kg in other markets so I'm sure it can. Pack light and keep the speed down as drag will be a bigger issue then weight.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyfly View Post
Not all that comfortable that the Mitzi can tow a X17Z with ease. Has a 3500 tow capacity but we have no experiences with towing anything....snip
I agree..., the Jay Feather X17Z (and A) have a limited CCC so loading it to it's GVWR of 3,500lbs is a reality, especially for extended trips like you plan to do.

The Mitzi may have a published Tow Rating of 3,500lbs, but it's actual is lower. Published Tow Ratings are based on the "Curb Weight" of the vehicle (includes 150lb driver and all fluids full), one has to subtract the vehicle's options, passenger weight, and cargo weight from the published Tow Rating to get the actual Tow Rating.

Actual Tow Ratings: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

Here is another JOF X17Z thread that may be helpful: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...highlight=x17z

Keep in mind that RV dealers tend to think in terms of "dry" and/or "Unloaded" weights..., since we are the ones towing the trailers we have to think in terms of "loaded" weights. If the X17Z is on the RV dealer's lot, look for a yellow sticker on the outside of the unit, it will have the "Ship Weight" which is a good base weight starting point (ignore the published UVW). Note; the Ship Weight doesn't include any dealer item weights like the battery, etc..

IMO with your TV's tow rating declining and the X17Z's weight increasing, your Mitzi will easily be towing over it's limits.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #6

Heyfly

I think your instincts are good. Your NOT going to be very refreshed and relaxed touring the country in that combo. Through hills and turbulence, you'll have the constant reminder you may not be in full-control in any given minute. There's a "country drive" and a "cattle drive"....your experience in that combo will probably be more like the latter....
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote