Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #21

I have a 2wd Pickup (TV) and a 4wd SUV (DW's ride). I like that I can eek out a little extra weight capacity because of the 2wd in my truck. I was thinking that my next truck would be a 3/4 ton, just so I don't have to worry about weight capacities as much. When the time comes, I'll be surprised if I can find a 2wd 3/4 ton truck within a reasonable distance from me that has the options I would want. That being said, I would probably go with 4wd simply out of convenience and options at time of purchase. The weather here is very temperate, so I don't have a lot of snow and ice to deal with. We generally only camp in well-developed parks and CG's. So for me, it might be nice to have "just in case" but not really a necessity and when the time comes, I'll probably hunt for a 2wd model first. That won't be for a number of years, so who knows where I'll be when the time comes. My usage model may change completely by then and I'll reevaluate at that time... If I were buying a new truck this week, I would try pretty hard to get it in 2wd.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #22

Not even a contest 4wd only. I had to use 4wd backing into a driveway that was wet. Plus you may be able sell a 4wd truck to a person that is looking for a 2wd but never to a person who wants 4wd. I have had 3 4wd trucks and used 4wd in all of them. Btw even with limited slip, positraction, locking differentials, or traction control it is no substuite for 4wd. Newer 4wd trucks (like my old '04 Silverado) have limited slip and 4wd. That makes it really hard to get stuck. If you ever encounter ice and or snow 4wd in 4 high or 4 low can help you stop as well. You can use engine braking (carefully) to slow down without skidding. It also helps the ABS system work better because all wheels are locked together
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #23

When my truck sits on the grass for a couple of days while we are on our river lot the front wheels seem to sink into the grass making it hard to get the empty truck to go. My truck has a posi rear end and one day in the rain I needed to go to town. In 2wd it wouldn't move. (empty truck) In fact I left it idling in drive and got out to see if both rear wheels were turning. They were. Rather than having to get help I simply was able to turn the 4x4 knob and drive away.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #24

Get a 4WD. It's well worth the extra money.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #25

On both our dodge 2500 and now chevy 2500 I get stuck on little slopes if the grass is wet or even gravel patches the front end is so heavy unloaded it just spins the rear tires. In a 2500 or larger I would not own a 2wd, if your ever going to have a boat a 4x4 is a must. Watching the baddest 2wd truck be stuck on the ramp trying to pull a little bass boat is always priceless or trying to back the camper onto leveling blocks on a sloped gravel pad can be fun to watch, no fun for the guy setting up. Cost wise with a newer truck is very minimal your only talking less than $100 to service the 4x4 transfer every couple of years. The other side is gas vs diesel our dodge was a gas and got 4-6 pulling and 12 on a good day our diesel is getting 10-12 pulling and 22 on the highway as a daily driver and maintenance is all most the same on the gas we changed the oil every 3k and it needed changed where our diesel is every 8-10k miles so its a wash the biggest is the upfront cost of the diesel but when you sell you get your money back as on the gas you give it away. Figure you buy a new diesel for 45k put 150k miles on it in 5 years and sell it or 20-30k where the gas is 40k and sell it for 7k. So just jump in and buy the diesel 4x4 you will be happy in the end and the new diesel trucks you can park in the garage and not stink up the whole house when you leave in the morning.
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinglife2 View Post
On both our dodge 2500 and now chevy 2500 I get stuck on little slopes if the grass is wet or even gravel patches the front end is so heavy unloaded it just spins the rear tires. In a 2500 or larger I would not own a 2wd, if your ever going to have a boat a 4x4 is a must. Watching the baddest 2wd truck be stuck on the ramp trying to pull a little bass boat is always priceless or trying to back the camper onto leveling blocks on a sloped gravel pad can be fun to watch, no fun for the guy setting up. Cost wise with a newer truck is very minimal your only talking less than $100 to service the 4x4 transfer every couple of years. The other side is gas vs diesel our dodge was a gas and got 4-6 pulling and 12 on a good day our diesel is getting 10-12 pulling and 22 on the highway as a daily driver and maintenance is all most the same on the gas we changed the oil every 3k and it needed changed where our diesel is every 8-10k miles so its a wash the biggest is the upfront cost of the diesel but when you sell you get your money back as on the gas you give it away. Figure you buy a new diesel for 45k put 150k miles on it in 5 years and sell it or 20-30k where the gas is 40k and sell it for 7k. So just jump in and buy the diesel 4x4 you will be happy in the end and the new diesel trucks you can park in the garage and not stink up the whole house when you leave in the morning.
Wow this is simply a fantastic write up I agree your assessment!
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote