Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #1

Tow vehicle for Jayco Jay Feather X17z or similar

Hello everyone -- New user here and new to the camper/trailer world. My wife and I are thinking about getting a new Jayco Jay Feather X17z Hybrid or something similar to that. Currently have a Ford Escape and I know I will have to get a different vehicle, been researching tow vehicles and I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with a combo like this?

The specs on the Jayco are 3000lb dry weight, 3500lb GVWR and 405lb dry hitch weight. External length 18 ft 7in

If possible I would like to get away with a mid-size truck or SUV to have a smaller vehicle to drive around in normal every day conditions, downtown, parking, etc...

I have 3 vehicles as my top choices, the Toyota Tacoma (V6), Chevy Colorado (V6 or Diesel) and Jeep Grand Cherokee (V6 or V8). The Toyota has a tow rating of 6400lbs and tongue load of 640lbs, the Chevy has a 7000lb (V6) rating and the Jeep Grand Cherokee has a 6200lb (V6) rating.

From the research I've seen it seems like the 50% rule is a good rule to follow, but my main concern is that I live in Denver and nearly all trips with the camper would be up in the mountains. I've seen reports of people talking about the V6 trucks struggling in the mountains and then some people say they've been doing it for years with no problems.

I've seen the "Ike Gauntlet" towing torture test online, which around here is a normal drive up I-70/Eisenhower tunnel and I would be driving on many of our weekend trips.

Does anyone have any experience or comments on towing a 3000-3500lb camper with a mid-size V6 truck or SUV in the mountains?

Thanks in advance
snikt228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #2

I towed my 16XRB into the rockies, but i didn't hit quite the elevations you will likely see and i will say you can feel the power loss for sure, if i was going to be up at high elevations at all times i would want more power to be comfortable.

That being said all of those options would be more than sufficient for towing a ~3500lb camper.

That being said a good person to talk with about this would be the forums own A2Zadventures who i also in Colorado and tows a comparable trailer with a Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:21 AM   #3

We towed a 3000 lb popup with a 2014 Honda Ridgeline before we bought our X213. It did okay... not jaw-dropping or anything, just held it's own. We only made one trip into the mountains and that was up the Poudre - no steep hills really anyplace we were up there. Its also mostly 35-45 speed limits so not a great test.

We did take a trip to Valentine, Nebraska, towing through the sand hills. That is a constant up and down and was no real problem at 60-65 mph, but it doesn't compare with the drive up Mt. Vernon Canyon or the climb from Silverthorne to the Tunnel.

You have to keep in mind that a popup doesn't have the wind resistance of that hybrid, and that is a factor when driving at highway speeds.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:35 AM   #4

The Colorado Diesel seems like a great choice, especially for your situation. Diesel engines actually perform better at high altitudes than gas engines. The effect is very noticeable. If you go gas, go V8 without question.
whitedogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #5

I tow a Whitehawk 23MRB with a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. I use a WDH and minimize the load in the trailer (just my wife and I). The Jeep is rated to tow 7,200 pounds and I am at a little under 6,000 as we load it. I have never had any problems with sway, and that is with 2 trips over the Mackinaw Bridge, one under high winds. The Jeep gets around 13 mpg under tow and is very comfortable to travel in while we are camped. We will eventually get a bigger TT and will upgrade to an F250 class TV but until then we are very happy with our setup.
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #6

We made the mistake of hauling a 4,500# TT with a 1/4 ton truck (2009 Tacoma CC + Long Bed) 3.8 V6.

It did the job adequately. But it was over 75% of the truck's capability, so high winds and trying to dash up short on ramps revealed the shortcomings.

That being said, any of the 1/4 ton trucks will handle your planned trailer well.

However, consider your NEXT trailer when buying a truck. Will a 17' hybrid hold you the 5-7 years that the truck will last? Two-foot-itis is an insidious beast!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #7

With that camper, you'd be fine with any of your choices. An Ecoboost 150 would also be a great choice. 90% of our camping trips have me crossing the divide. I'd like a bit more truck for what I have, but for what you're talking about getting it would tow beautifully. Just one other option to consider.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #8

I tow my X20E with a 2012 Tacoma Dbl Cab, Long bed with the Tow Package.
Trailer is rated at 4750Lbs, Loaded.

It's fine, but admittedly, It does work hard to get up some decent sized inclines on the East Coast of Canada. I would not take it through Vermont despite the fact I find the truck loves to work. Being that you are in a mountainous area, I'd suggest a full size. There are times I wish I had the extra HP to climb the larger hills. Other than that, with my Equalizer 10K WDH, I have No issues with Wind or Trucks Passing or Sway. The combo works great for me 99% of the time here in Ontario Canada, just the real big climbs It lacks power until I drop a gear then the engine Sings which makes my DW uncomfortable. LOL

I guess it really boils down to what you will be comfortable with. The smaller Truck allows me to get into tighter spaces as well ;-P
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #9

After a lot of research and seeing these comments I think I'm leaning towards the Jeep Grand Cherokee with V8 or the Chevy Colorado with the diesel option.

Just wish those 2 options weren't so expensive. Looked at some fullsize truck options too but there's a bit of sticker shock there, it's been a few years since I've looked at trucks but wow have they come up in price. The base models don't seem much better than the mid-sized trucks either for towing capacity, but of course you can get the V8 or EcoBoost type options but then that adds even more $$ to the already high price.

I like the idea of the Tacoma, just wish they hadn't crippled it with such a weak engine. In Europe you can get it with a diesel and it gets 35-40mpg.
snikt228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazman65 View Post
I tow a Whitehawk 23MRB with a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. I use a WDH and minimize the load in the trailer (just my wife and I). The Jeep is rated to tow 7,200 pounds and I am at a little under 6,000 as we load it. I have never had any problems with sway, and that is with 2 trips over the Mackinaw Bridge, one under high winds. The Jeep gets around 13 mpg under tow and is very comfortable to travel in while we are camped. We will eventually get a bigger TT and will upgrade to an F250 class TV but until then we are very happy with our setup.
Tow with a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited diesel also. Sticker shock buying new no doubt.

Did a 5200 mile trip last summer towing my 23RLSW. #5700. Actual towing mileage throughout the west, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Colorado, and Utah was 13.6 MPG.

Got as high as 32.3 MPG on 1 tank (not towing) driving around Yellowstone and Cody Wyoming. Pen & paper figures , not vehicle display. Very comfortable vehicle and the only one that fit my needs and would go in my garage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	32.2 MPG FILLUP IN CODY.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	28758
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #11

I have been extremely impressed with the 3 liter Diesel engine. I get very similar numbers to yours on mileage and always have plenty of power when towing. It is an extremely comfortable vehicle to drive around in as well. My buddy just bought a Ram 1500 with the same engine.
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote