Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #1

Towing advice

Hello, I am new here and to trailering. Will my 2010 V-6 Ford Explorer XLT with towing package easily pull a Jayco ultra feather lite which gross weight equals 4950 lbs., or will it strain to pull it? Thanks for any info.
Guitarmanrlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved to the towing and tow vehicles forum for greater possible exposure.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmanrlk View Post
Hello, I am new here and to trailering. Will my 2010 V-6 Ford Explorer XLT with towing package easily pull a Jayco ultra feather lite which gross weight equals 4950 lbs., or will it strain to pull it? Thanks for any info.
I don't know if it will easily pull that much weight. I have a 2013 Explorer XLT V-6 with the towing package and we pull a 2013 Jayco JayFeather X19H. The dry weight of our TT is 3660 pounds, and when combined with a wife and two small kids, luggage, 2 propane tanks, a battery and kayaks and/or bikes, we have to be close to 4600 pounds. I never tow with water in the tank(s), and although towing and RV's are new to me so I have nothing to compare to, I think our TT/TV combination does pretty good. I don't feel as if it's straining or struggling, and when I'm on the freeway, I immediately set the cruise control at 62 mph and the engine holds steady at 2700rpms. I live in Michigan, where the terrain is, for the most part, flat. It does get windy, here, and that makes a difference. I'm not sure if I would use my rig in the mountains of Colorado, but it has worked so far in the great Wolverine state. Without a doubt, 4950 pounds is cutting it close, as the Explorer is rated to pull 5K. I strongly urge you to get all the advice from the experts as you can, use a WDH and anti-sway bar. Safety should never be compromised just so you can have fun camping. With that being said, Happy Camping and welcome to the JOF. You will get the right answers here, gauranteed!! Good luck.
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.... Will my 2010 V-6 Ford Explorer XLT with towing package easily pull a Jayco ultra feather lite which gross weight equals 4950 lbs., or will it strain to pull it? Thanks for any info.
Just a couple of thoughts to consider....,

If in fact your Explorer has a published Tow Rating of 5,000lbs, please note that the actual tow rating will be less. The following JOF link will explain: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

Since you already have the Explorer, the best way to determine your TV's weight capability (based on weight limits) is load up your TV (fuel, passengers, etc.) and weigh it at a CAT scale ($9). Next find the GVWR of your TV (sticker on door) and subtract your CAT scale weight, the remainder is what you have left for the loaded TT tongue weight (yes, the tongue weight is carried by the TV). Figure the loaded tongue weight to be about 13% of the TT's loaded weight.

A Jay Feather Ultra Lite with a GVWR of 4,950lbs has a published CCC of about 1,100lbs, but figure about 200lbs to compensate for the actual Ship Weight..., so really around a 900lb CCC (check yellow sticker on side of TT). What this means is that 900lbs is a modest cargo capacity, but the probability of using it all is realistic..., thus the TT loaded weight will be very close to the GVWR of 4,950lbs, and the recommended TT loaded tongue weight will be approximately 644lbs.

Based on my assumptions your TV will be towing at it's maximum weight limits, and possibly above depending on your loading habits. Towing at one's TV weight limits isn't a bad thing, but TV performance could be impacted depending on your personal towing expectations. Remember, your Explorer's actual tow rating will be below 5,000lbs.

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm1stnau View Post
snip........ we pull a 2013 Jayco JayFeather X19H. The dry weight of our TT is 3660 pounds,....snip
Just curious, the dry weight of 3,660lbs you quoted is that taken from the yellow sticker (Ship Weight) on the side of the TT? The reason I ask is because the Jayco published UVW of the X19H is 3,310lbs, so based on the 3,660lb ship weight an additional 350lbs was added to the published UVW (dry weight).

My assumption with the OP's set-up was I allowed for 200lbs for the ship weight delta, so I might be on the lite side.

I'm always curious how much the actual weight difference is between the published UVW and actual Ship Weights..., on some of the heavier TT's/FW's I've seen as much as 650lbs.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 12-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Personally, unless I was towing within a few hundred miles and pretty flat I wouldn't push my TV to the limit.
I have a 4Runner, 4.0 V6 rated at 5,000lbs.
I looked for a TT that packed out would be no more than 3500lbs and no longer than 20'.
In the mountains I still expect to be with the 18 wheelers possibly, but my tranny will not crap out on me.
My position is based on a lot of personal towing and a lot more advice from others more experienced than I.

JMHO

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #7

Quote:
I have a 2011 XLT Explorer and am towing a 2012 Jayfeather 228 ultra light. Trailer loaded (no water) is about 4600 lbs. Once hooked up with the WDH my rear axle can be between 400 lbs under or I have been 150 lbs over its rated capacity depending on the extras that we needed to haul (bikes, extra drinking water, etc). I have made a couple of upgrades to the Explorer, K&N intake, Magnaflow exhaust which puts HP at 330 (approximately, based on factory HP plus HP gains from aftermarket parts that were dyno tested). I feel comfortable taking my Explorer and trailer into the Canadian Rockies (loaded light) and am able to maintain 100kms/hr. The only way to know what your TV limits are is to hook up and tow the TT. My experiance will differ from others and depends on what your comfortable towing. Unless you find someone with the exact same TV and towing the exact same TT there is really no way of knowing what the performance/experience will be unless you tow it yourself. As well please make sure you look over the link that Rustic E provided and ensure you are within the towing capacity for your TV. Ryan
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Just curious, the dry weight of 3,660lbs you quoted is that taken from the yellow sticker (Ship Weight) on the side of the TT? The reason I ask is because the Jayco published UVW of the X19H is 3,310lbs, so based on the 3,660lb ship weight an additional 350lbs was added to the published UVW (dry weight).

My assumption with the OP's set-up was I allowed for 200lbs for the ship weight delta, so I might be on the lite side.

I'm always curious how much the actual weight difference is between the published UVW and actual Ship Weights..., on some of the heavier TT's/FW's I've seen as much as 650lbs.

Yes, that number (3660) was taken from the yellow sticker on the outside of my TT. Bob, being from Michigan, you know the Zilwaukee Bridge all too well. My concern about which TT to buy in the first place was concentrated on my Explorer pulling the TT over that bridge. Yes, I know there are ways around that bridge, but I thought that that may be the toughest stretch of towing I would ever have to do. The Explorer has done it several times now, with different weights and different cargo configurations, always without a problem. The point is, knowing that we pack on the heavy side when we take a trip, I think that maybe Jayco over-estimates their UVW to allow more room for operator error (being overweight). I say this because we take a lot of stuff camping, and we have to be dangerously close to being around 5K pounds, and I have yet to sway, lose control, or overwork the TV. What are your thoughts? Am I reading too much into it? Happy Camping!!

Bob
Yes, that number (3660) was taken from the yellow sticker on the outside of my TT. Bob, being from Michigan, you know the Zilwaukee Bridge all too well. My concern about which TT to buy in the first place was concentrated on my Explorer pulling the TT over that bridge. Yes, I know there are ways around that bridge, but I thought that that may be the toughest stretch of towing I would ever have to do. The Explorer has done it several times now, with different weights and different cargo configurations, always without a problem. The point is, knowing that we pack on the heavy side when we take a trip, I think that maybe Jayco over-estimates their UVW to allow more room for operator error (being overweight). I say this because we take a lot of stuff camping, and we have to be dangerously close to being around 5K pounds, and I have yet to sway, lose control, or overwork the TV. What are your thoughts? Am I reading too much into it? Happy Camping!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, the Zilwaukee bridge......, had a guy pass me a few years ago going over the bridge doing at least 75 mph towing a 30 foot TT, well, when he hit the descending side of the bridge coupled with the winds the TT was on its side within 10 seconds! This guy had plenty of truck, just a lack of common sense!

Published UVW's are a general weight reference point for that model, the Ship Weight on the yellow sticker is the real deal (no fudging) because it represents the actual weight of the specific TT in question as it leaves the assembly plant. The CCC noted on the yellow sticker represents the adjusted CCC weight based on the actual ship weight. If the RV dealer adds any options/equipment that weighs above 100lbs they are required to add a sticker noting the change in the CCC weight limit.

The only way to know your loaded weights is a visit to the CAT scale. http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #10

Lots of good advice here on this thread. My 2cents is that I would not tow a trailer that close to your max rating. Too many things that add weight that are not taken into account and your tow vehicle with pay the price over the long haul. No need for a 3/4 ton truck with that weight but a 1/2 ton or SUV with a higher rating would make for happier towing without worrying about the stress on the vehicle.

2010 Jayco Jay Feather 213EXP
2006 Nissan Titan
ecchamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchamberlin View Post
Lots of good advice here on this thread. My 2cents is that I would not tow a trailer that close to your max rating. Too many things that add weight that are not taken into account and your tow vehicle with pay the price over the long haul. No need for a 3/4 ton truck with that weight but a 1/2 ton or SUV with a higher rating would make for happier towing without worrying about the stress on the vehicle.
x2
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:43 AM   #12

We are currently towing the ultra lite with a Ford explorer (with Tow package), but are thinking of upgrading our vehicle for more towing capacity and safety as we will be doing some traveling out west in the mountains. I am interested in vehicle recommendations. We would like to stay with Ford, but will consider other options. What are thoughts about truck versus Expedition/Suburban type vehicles? Thanks for your thoughts.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #13

Raine,

Welcome!!! Even if it’s a year since you joined for your first post.

I would suggest to start your own thread specific for your needs. Especially since this thread is just short of 5yrs old.

As for trucks vs a suv, it really comes down to the rated payload of the tv as long as possible t is properly equipped for towing your total trailer weight.

The weight of: all occupants, cargo in the truck cab and bed, any accessories added to the truck, the wdh, and the tw of the tt all count toward the tv payload.

Maybe a mod can start a new thread for you and move your post and mine.

Good luck shopping!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #14

Tow Vehicle for ultralite

Thank you Need a vacation! I am not very savvy about the forum so will see if this gets moved. Happy Traveling
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
We are currently towing the ultra lite with a Ford explorer (with Tow package), but are thinking of upgrading our vehicle for more towing capacity and safety as we will be doing some traveling out west in the mountains. I am interested in vehicle recommendations. We would like to stay with Ford, but will consider other options. What are thoughts about truck versus Expedition/Suburban type vehicles? Thanks for your thoughts.
First, re-read what need-a-vacation said. All good stuff there.

To emphasize: The PAYLOAD is the number you need to pay attention to. Salesmen (truck and RV) will talk towing capacity, but the PAYLOAD limit is what your tow vehicle will hit first.

Are you planning on keeping your current trailer? If so, it seems you have questions about safety and towing capacity with it. What problem(s) are you encountering?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote