Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #1

Towing and WD Hitch Numbers Questions

I previously asked about a WD hitch for my 165 sport. Most recommended I'd be ok I have a fullsize silverado 2wd crew cab and that I may want sway control only. I found a used hitch on Craigslist with sway control and 550lb tongue weight bars. I checked today and my truck has a 6800 towing rating. The factory hitch has a sticker that says 600lb max tongue rating. What does my 165 sport weigh actually and what is a realistic tongue weight for it? I've been looking for a lighter duty WD hitch. Only odd thing is my truck currently lowered 2 inches in the rear using lowering shackles. With the camper coming home it was squatted about 1 inch to low to the camper sitting level. Will a WD level this out where I don't have to remove the shackles and go back with stock? Essentially the shackles are longer and raise the spring up closer to the axle "lowering" the truck. I do not have any clearance issues with suspension travel. The lowering just leveled the truck from its factory rake after lowering:

Before lowering:
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #2

A one inch squat is normal. You will rarely if ever see a TV that's towing a trailer that isn't squat in back. Mine drops the back of my Sierra about 1 1/4 inches with the WD hitch. The height of the back end is to accommodate this squatting. The shackles essentially circumvent the purpose of the stock height. But if your not having issues, I'd try it like that for a while.

What's important is the front. Before hooking up, measure your front fender lip from the ground. GM says in the manual that with the trailer on, the front height should be the same as as without. If you are up in the front you're taking weight off the tires and compromising control. That's what the WD hitch fixes.

The 600lb tongue rating is probably a dead weigh measure. There is also a WD hitch rating, which on my '08 is I think is 1100#. It might be a little lower on yours as its an older model.

I think your trailer has a 3500# GVWR. Tongue weight will be 10% - 15%. For arguments sake I always figure 13%. That makes your tongue weight 455# assuming that you have the trailer loaded to its max. You can use a bathroom scale to measure your tongue weight, and if you don't have one that goes that high you can use two scales with a 2.4 across them to split the difference.

Hope that helps.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #3

Does the lowering kit reduce the space between the frame and the axle bump stops? If so, with the weight of the tongue, you will close that gap even further. May be clear while stopped, but I would be concerned about bottom out along the road ( where frame or bed frame bottoms out to the bump stops )

Hit it hard enough and it could cause a lot of turbulence to the TT while you are moving down the road , not to mention the recoil/ sway to the ft end

Most of us are working to raise the bed of the truck up off the axle. ( airbags for example )

Just thinking out loud......

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #4

Not even close to hitting suspension travel wise.

Am I correct in thinking of I have a 500 lb tongue weight that I should look for a 600 lb bar hitch? I'm mainly interested in the sway control and leveling the truck out. Don't really see how the sway control works without a WD style hitch with the separate small ball to hookup. My camper has has a sway control bracket on it and it's been removed but I can add one easily enough.

I keep finding used hitches with 1000 lb bars I'd imagine these wouldn't work or could damage my camper frame. Not to mention this camper has a 2 inch ball instead of a 2 5/16ths.

If I was using a 2 inch raise hitch, can I simply use a 3 inch to level the camper? Maybe some type of adjustable hitch? The truck didn't look much squatted but the front was higher than the rear. The camper just didn't look right not sitting level, I'm all about my rig looking good. I'd add airbags and simply air them up for the few times i pull my camper, compared to the functionality of the truck being my daily driver. I'll get the camper out and get some pics soon. Any hitch ideas or pics would be appreciated.
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverta16 View Post
Not even close to hitting suspension travel wise.

Am I correct in thinking of I have a 500 lb tongue weight that I should look for a 600 lb bar hitch? I'm mainly interested in the sway control and leveling the truck out. Don't really see how the sway control works without a WD style hitch with the separate small ball to hookup. My camper has has a sway control bracket on it and it's been removed but I can add one easily enough.

I keep finding used hitches with 1000 lb bars I'd imagine these wouldn't work or could damage my camper frame. Not to mention this camper has a 2 inch ball instead of a 2 5/16ths.
I have a 600# Equal-i-zer for sale....it was too much for my TT frame and hitch rating....it also made for a very rigid ride.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15778

I have @ 300# tongue weight and now use a Reese Ultralight 350.....my ride is now smooth. So to answer your question.....yes, the correct rated hitch makes all the difference from my experience
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote