Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #1

Towing capacities

Something that I see here all the time. Lets say you have a 5000 towing capacity vehicle.
Someone asks how much can I tow?
You will see answers saying keep it around 3500 pounds (real weight not claimed weight) so with cargo you can still be reasonably at 4000 total for the trailer. Which I agree with
But you see answers all the time saying a camper that has a dry weight of say 3250 that hat has a gvwr at 4400 might be ok but another one that is at 3250 and has a gvwr of 5600 and that not OK.
I don't get it. Because your camper can carry a certain amount of weight doesn't mean you are going to use it.
I have seen some trail-lite hybrids that weigh 2558 and a gvwr of 5500 and people actually say that it is too haevy. Just makes no sense to me..
parkerbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #2

Your logic is sound. If all weights are maintained within manufacturer specifications, no capability has been exceeded. A quick stop at a CAT Scale at the start of a trip takes all the guess work out of the issue.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Site Team

I think using the GVWR of the trailer that has a large CCC takes into consideration a worse case scenario, where you actually did load the trailer to the max. Since everyone loads their trailer differently when someone asks "can I tow it" the answer has to consider the GVWR and weight of passengers and gear in the TV since we have no way of knowing what their loading habits are.. Obviously if you have a trailer with a 3000 lb CCC and only load 500 lbs of gear into it you have plenty of room to work with. Each model and TV situation is a bit different, along with individual loading habits.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I think using the GVWR of the trailer that has a large CCC takes into consideration a worse case scenario, where you actually did load the trailer to the max. Since everyone loads their trailer differently when someone asks "can I tow it" the answer has to consider the GVWR and weight of passengers and gear in the TV since we have no way of knowing what their loading habits are.. Obviously if you have a trailer with a 3000 lb CCC and only load 500 lbs of gear into it you have plenty of room to work with. Each model and TV situation is a bit different, along with individual loading habits.
Totally agree but I do question why someone doesn't state that when giving advice.because it certainly is not a straight forward answer.
parkerbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #5

We have a new problem with more advanced vehicles. Its not exceeding the tow capacity, but exceeding payload capacity of the TV. Let me give you an example. My Tundra can tow what some 3/4 ton trucks can, over 9K, and over 10.5K depending on year and model if you read the labels. That can be a pretty good size camper, but, you need to look at the payload capacity. My payload capacity for example, is 1460lbs. By the time I put wood, bicycles, easyup, and 5 people in the cab, and the tongue weight of the camper, and other options I have had installed, I am technically overloaded even though I am no where near the GVRW limit with my 19H, but my TV is technically not suited for my camping style and considered not big enough. I can move some things around, and get close to payload capacity, but I am pushing it.

Also, with J2807 around the corner, automakers are feeling the pinch.

Quote:
In the 2500 class, a four-wheel-drive Extended Cab long bed with the 6.0-liter V-8 and 3.73:1 axle went from 9,400 pounds to 9,100 pounds, but the same configuration with the 6.6-liter Duramax diesel remained the same at 13,000 pounds

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/05...m-pickups.html

Chevy has pulled these ratings since releasing them due to Ford and Dodge not releasing their new tow rating numbers.
http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/c...2807-1.3767509

Quote:
Just when you thought everyone in the room was going to be mature about this, we're right back in elementary school.GM released a statement accusing "other competitors" (meaning Ford) of not doing the right thing and updating their 2013 truck testing procedures with revised towing and GCWR numbers, following the new J2807 standards.