Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
Tempering can be someone else's job....

I may be wrong....but I don't think the OP benefits from hearing "sure, you'll be fine...I see other people do similar things all the time"
Your opinion but I disagree. What a lot of other people are doing and what I have a lot of experience with is what "my opinion is based on. If it were just me or if it was just a few crazy folks, it wouldn't hold much merit, but maybe you ought to go to that State park and then report back what you find. Do it in the spring, do it in the summer, do it in the fall. You'll see the same. I think the OP ask the question and will find merit in hearing some real world feedback. That is what I gave but then that is my opinion.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Guys, I have to respect your experience and knowledge concerning towing and Vehicle ratings. You are way out of my league. While you are no doubt correct with your technical data and evaluation of the OP's TV, I think way to many newbies have been scared into buying a new TV that they can't afford and don't need other than the occasional trip to a state park or a special one time vacation to where ever or worse become discouraged and don't buy the RV.

I am not a car guy, an auto engineer, but like they say on TV, I've played one most of my life. Seriously, I've been towing everything from pop-ups [like the OP] with a straight 6 Volare wagon to my current White Hawk with a 5.3 Silverado. In between there has been a 5,000 lb runabout skiboat, a bass boat, and a 28' TT I pulled with an F150 with the small V8. I pulled the runabout with my V6 chevy astrovan that I finally retired after logging 194,000 miles. My point is that experience is just as important in answering a question like this as all the technical gargon.

If the OP does his homework and gets the proper hitch and setup on the Sciena, they will be fine for Great family fun. Keeping in mind that the various tow and weight ratings have as much to do with dealers wanting to sell you a bigger vehicle as it does with driver safety. Should you tow a 30' TT with an S-10? No. Do you need a duramax either,?
I get what your saying. I have read many posts about 1/2 ton truck limits, and I know I approach my trucks cargo capacity but I have NEVER have felt out of control or unsafe with my TV/TT combo. I have used the knowledge from the people on this site to learn proper loading, WDH setup, proper driving habits, etc.

2012 Jayco Whitehawk 28DSBH
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Previous camper-2010 Starcraft Travel Star Sport 175RK
Previous TV-2008 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4
NHcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #13
Site Team
OK guys let`s get back on topic and help the OP.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
Old thread, but useful to the newbies that come along. I own a 2000 Ford Ranger. I just bought a 2015 Jayco Jay Feather SLX16XRB. While I don't break any speed records with or without the camper hitched up, the ranger does fine. One thing I noticed right away is that after hitching up the camper to the hitch the first time, the rear of the truck dropped an inch or so. I went out an purchased a set of monroe air shocks, and that quickly resolved that issue. About 60 pounds of air in the shocks (can go to 120), and the back end and camper are nice and level. No bounce or "jounce" as I drive along.

Perhaps the difference here is that a truck frame will be better suited for towing over a van frame?

bucko is offline   Reply With Quote