Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2014, 05:48 AM   #21

We live in the fairly flat Midwest and pull our x20e(dry 3700lbs) with our v6 4Runner(5000lb towing limit).
We have a lot of gear and load the camper correctly so that in our vehicle is really just the dog and us two. People a lot of time think they are helping their truck by putting gear in the car but it's the opposite.
4Runner does just fine and doesn't feel like she is ever straining.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402400664.358431.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	13438
Itsmeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltDog View Post
Due to my situation I need an suv, not a truck-three kids all still in carseats. .
I've got three kids in car seats and they fit much better in the truck than they do in our SUV. Typically, a 1/2 ton truck will have quite a bit more room in the back seat than the equivalent SUV; my dad's F150 is giant in the back seat compared to my mom's Expedition.

As to your original question/discussion, I'd hook the trailer up and go on a trip somewhere not too far from home. Get used to the trailer and the towing and see how it does. If it is adequate for the short term, just keep trucking. If it truly feels unsafe, get a new truck. I think the Pathfinder will do just fine, but if you decide to upgrade, pretty much any full size truck/SUV will pull that trailer without a problem.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #23

Quote:
In my world, $48K solves one problem but creates a heck of a lot more. If I had cash like that sitting around I would be talking to a car dealer, not you fine folks.
That's kind of what I was thinking. If I had 48K to spend on a TV, I would have my pick of the litter between 1-tons in all the big three. Heck, I could probably even get something nice with a cummins/powerstroke/duramax in that price range! I'd never worry about weight again!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #24

Kudos to Dodge for being the first to offer a diesel in the modern 1/2 ton market, but Ford released the EcoBoost just at the perfect time to make that 3.0 EcoDiesel not worth it.

The EcoBoost makes better power on cheaper fuel without the added cost of diesel purchase and maintenance. If I went diesel (which some day I likely will) it would be a REAL diesel in a 3/4 or 1 ton frame. The 1/2 ton market just doesn't really need it because of the EcoBoost, and economically there is no comparison.

Back to the original question - the 26BH is a fantastic trailer and possibly the best floorplan Jayco has to offer for families looking for good value. If I were you, I would buy that 26BH for the best price you can, and then find an appropriate tow vehicle to pull if after the fact. It really should be pulled with a truck or truck-framed SUV with a longer wheelbase. Base model EcoBoosts can be found for about 30K brand new which would comfortably seat your entire family and tow that trailer like a boss.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #25

Actually some people prefer diesel over gas. The eco-boost is a good motor but there is a reason why Dodge cannot keep up production with the new Ecodiesel. They sold 8500 units before they even started production. People want the better fuel mileage. Not everyone tows a camper and the eco-diesel is perfect for just hauling around town.
parkersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #26

Towing to the limit (and beyond...)

And just for the record if I was buying a truck right now I would buy the V-8 motor over any eco-boost. There's an old saying that there is no replacement for displacement. I think that holds true. As far as towing close to your limits I don't think it's a good idea. You will wear out your tow vehicle a lot quicker.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #27

If I were just using the truck for transportation and not towing, I would have got the 5.0 as well. But towing a full sized travel trailer uphill in 6th gear, 100km/h and 1500rpm is hard to beat... The V8 would be downshifting to find its peak torque at 4500RPM whereas the Eco is happy below 2000. The only area where two less cylinders shows is engine braking, which isn't horrible, but it is noticeable. That being said, the 10:1 compression ratio helps make up for it a bit.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkersdad View Post
As far as towing close to your limits I don't think it's a good idea. You will wear out your tow vehicle a lot quicker.
This is a valid point, but I'm thinking that I will only tow the camper three weekends this year. Maybe next year a V-8 depending on how it goes.
KiltDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #29

V8 isn't the answer to all towing problems. I had a V8 in my last truck and it struggled with a trailer smaller than yours. Proper differential gear ratios and number of gears in the transmission is also a big factor - the new 6+ speed transmissions are leagues beyond the older 4 gear ones, which turn into 3 gears once you lock out overdrive. Just food for thought.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #30

Back to the subject...you are gonna HATE towing a 26BH with a V6 Pathfinder. You are going to be WAY over the towing capacity, tongue weight and will be putting your family at risk. I pull my 26BH with a Tundra and a Propride hitch and am very comfortable. No way in hell would I put my kids and wife in a light V6 SUV and tow this sized trailer. You need at the minimum a 1/2 ton truck! Having 3 kids, you are going to take toys, bikes, lots to drink, lots to eat, lots of clothes, games, coolers with ice, firewood, water in the tanks, cast iron, extension cord(s), sewer hoses, 2 - 30# propane tanks, grill, reading material for kids...etc, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. Take the Pathfinder loaded up like you were heading camping with all the family, full tank of gas and weigh it. I bet you will be at or near your max weight as it sits.

Now, with all that said, we LOVE our 26BH! If a new TV is in the very near future and the price is great, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I also wouldn't hesitate heading to the nearest auto dealer for a look at the crew cab trucks.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Back to the subject...you are gonna HATE towing a 26BH with a V6 Pathfinder. You are going to be WAY over the towing capacity.
First camp trip scheduled for 6/20. CAT scale is a few miles away from the campground. So I will have a "real" weight with the family and camp cargo stowed. Results will be posted.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #32

Quote:
And just for the record if I was buying a truck right now I would buy the V-8 motor over any eco-boost. There's an old saying that there is no replacement for displacement. I think that holds true. As far as towing close to your limits I don't think it's a good idea. You will wear out your tow vehicle a lot quicker.
I used to say the same thing, but technology plays a big role in engines today. A full timer may like to have something that they can just hook up and go, but someone who is only towing a few times a year will be fine with a smaller engine/vehicle.
And if your all about displacement, why not a V10?

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
I used to say the same thing, but technology plays a big role in engines today. A full timer may like to have something that they can just hook up and go, but someone who is only towing a few times a year will be fine with a smaller engine/vehicle.

And if your all about displacement, why not a V10?

Because I have a 408 cubic inch inline 6. It's called a Cummins.[emoji106]
Old 06-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Because I have a 408 cubic inch inline 6. It's called a Cummins.[emoji106]
Cool, then I think we agree. There is a replacement for displacement today. Techonolgy has brought both gas and diesels a LONG way from yesteryear. Although a gasser's longevity may not be as long as a diesel (depending on the model), I do believe that some smaller gasser's have the ability to do just about the same job as a larger gasser, but maybe just for a shorter period of time.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #35

My 496 cubic inch big block don't struggle with anything I have to tow with it
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #36

Well I'm one week out from pickup and I'm not a happy camper (pun?). Should be an exciting time but I'm spending all my time crunching GCWR and max tongue weights instead of focusing on the part i actually like - Camping! Thinking about telling the dealership deals off. I'm pretty sure my pathfinder can tow my tent and sleeping bag still. DW's not going to be happy.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #37

You've probably already seen this picture... Anyway, do what you feel most comfortable with. Being a Pathfinder owner too, I can see how you'd feel uncomfortable towing that size camper. There are plenty of smaller options though that are well within the Pathfinder's capabilities. It's one of the most capable mid-size SUV's as far as towing goes. Best wishes...

kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Well I'm one week out from pickup and I'm not a happy camper (pun?). Should be an exciting time but I'm spending all my time crunching GCWR and max tongue weights instead of focusing on the part i actually like - Camping! Thinking about telling the dealership deals off. I'm pretty sure my pathfinder can tow my tent and sleeping bag still. DW's not going to be happy.
I can certainly understand, but its much better to be frustrated now doing the math and making a decision opposed to be frustrated after you own the TT and either don't use it because you aren't comfortabe towing it or allow the TT to force you into a new TV before you really wanted to.

I've already said I don't think the Pathfinder and 26Bh aren't a good combination, but the X213 you originally planned looks like a great combination. If you decide not to go forward with 26BH, why not go back to the X213.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #39

I just purchased an X213 and expect to take delivery sometime in the next week. I will be towing with my 05' Pathfinder. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm planning to upsize my TV eventually. I have kids too.. also both in carseats. We bought a 14' Honda Odyssey before deciding to buy a trailer... the cart before the horse. Wish we would have bought a large TV instead. I hate the thought of having three vehicle payments at once. Hindsight is always 20-20...
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
Cool, then I think we agree. There is a replacement for displacement today. Techonolgy has brought both gas and diesels a LONG way from yesteryear. Although a gasser's longevity may not be as long as a diesel (depending on the model), I do believe that some smaller gasser's have the ability to do just about the same job as a larger gasser, but maybe just for a shorter period of time.

Not trying to argue but yes some of the smaller motors are doing a lot better these days. The only point I am making is with as much as I pull my camper I do not want a small displacement motor. If you were pulling once in a while I would say you will be okay. We have been pulling three weekends a month. I think that would work a small displacement motor to death. All of our trips except for two have been to the mountains.

Tags
26bh, gvwr, mid size suv, wd hitch